1,632 Reviews
 (1,381)

5.0 out of 5 stars This was an extraordinary adventure.
Published on 29 May 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars The films are better and too much description!!!
kinda boring. The book has too much information and spoils it. other than that, pretty good. I think the films are better definitely this one!!!
Published 3 months ago by Arly23

5.0 out of 5 stars This was an extraordinary adventure., 29 May 2000
By A Customer
This novel is an extraordinary adventure. It shows heroism, love, compasion, and friendship. It is surch a magical tale, that I have read it five times. I suggest that everyone throughout the world should read this enthrawling tale. When reading this book you get swept into a world of fantasy, where dragons are real, magic is everywhere, and you never know what will happen next. In this novel, there is the epic battle between good (Dumbledor,Harry, Ron, and Hermoine) and evil ( Quirrel and Voldemort). When you finish this book, it leaves you craving more Harry Potter, and wondering what will happen durring year 2 at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't remember enjoying any book more, 1 July 2000
By A Customer
I laughed at my adult son when I found him reading Harry Potter. He said "don't knock it until you've tried it" and gave me the Philosopher's Stone for Christmas. I am now addicted and have bought and read them all.I am an avid reader of all types of literature but these are something else!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the single book I've read the most times, 27 May 2012
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone is the first book in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling. This must be about the tenth time I've read it, but the first since the conclusion of the series with the Deathly Hallows in 2007. I'm reading it again along with Pottermore - Rowling's new website which contains additional detail about her writing process and the characters and world they inhabit.

Harry Potter is an eleven year old orphan, trapped living with his grumpy aunt and uncle until one day he discovers he is a wizard, and goes off to Hogwarts, a school of magic.

Reading the book again, I was surprised to notice a number of things. The book is actually really short - only 16 chapters - and yet there is so much happening. The story is quite episodic in structure, with each chapter having a mini-adventure of its own while continuing the main plot.

The differences from the film also stand out - particularly the presence of Peeves the Poltergeist, Ron's height, and the descriptions of the centaurs. However there's also a lot more detail and it's really this richness - Rowling's world-building skill - that makes the series stand out. There is so much going on and yet it is presented so straightforwardly that it's hard to imagine anyone finding the book difficult regardless of age.

Overall, it's a book I love, and probably now qualifies as the single book I've read the most in my lifetime. I could pick it up again right now, and am looking forward to re-reading the rest of the series once their 'episodes' become available on Pottermore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, whatever your age., 28 Jan 2001
marijean@mcs.net (Chicago, United States) - See all my reviews
I was somewhat suspicious of the hype surrounding the Harry Potter books, but when I saw this book laying on our endtable I picked it up. I am a US college student with very little time, but I made time to finish all the currently available Potter books. It was well worth the effort. By the end of the first few chapters I was in love with Rowling's ideas, characters, writing, and message. Rowling has a style that would be conversational, but is cleaner and smoother. This gives her writing a sense of effortlessness perhaps only seen in children's books--a sense that I think many of us lose as we grow older. It also makes the books remarakably easy and enjoyable to read. By the end of five days I had finished off the first four books and was seriously considering rereading them.
I have recommended this book and all the subsequent books to everyone I know, of all ages. They are intelligent and imaginative without pretention or condescension, making them something everyone can appreciate and learn from. This series more than deserves the "hype" it has recieved, and will certainly far outlast it. I look forward to reading these books to my own children someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for girls and boys, 31 Jan 2013
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone
By J.K.Rowling

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone is a book about a boy called Harry and when he is a baby something terrible happened to his parents. This very evil wizard called Voldemort killed his mum and dad however he tried to kill Harry but somehow he could not. Therefore Harry had to go to live with his aunt and uncle. Eleven years later he had a letter saying he is invited to go to Hogwarts. Harry travelled there on a scarlet red steam engine. At Hogwarts Harry Ron and Hermione, Harry's friends, were caught out of school and their punishment was to collect unicorn blood from the dark woods. Then Harry and his friends go on a big adventure!

I think the book is very exciting! My favourite part is when Harry and his friends go on a very exciting adventure!

I think this book is suitable for eight and above. Eleven out of eleven people from Bancffosfelen school said they loved the book! My mark out of ten is nine!

By Sam Davies
Year 6
Ysgol Bancffosfelen

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable little tale!, 24 Mar 2013
Rory Q (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I've dug my heels in for years now over reading or watching anything Harry Potter, but finally decided to give it a go...

Despite being sceptical, I've got to admit (and eat my own words!) it's actually fairly enjoyable. The characters are all unique, there's a definitely feeling of innocence, fun and humour; and the basic concept of good versus evil (and shades of grey) is explored in a satisfying way.

I realise I'm not the target audience by any stretch - I don't like fantasy and I'm hurtling towards my 30s, but there's something in this book for everyone, and I was no exception.

The pace moves at a decent rate, the chapters are broken into easily digestible chunks, and there's nothing here that I felt was a slow or boring part.

I did wonder at a number of points when the Philosopher's Stone was going to put in an appearance and then worried it was going to all get squashed in at the end. And indeed, after the climax I did wonder if it was all going to be a bit "deus ex machina". However, Dumbledore's explanation of events put my fears to rest and the whole story, along with its many threads, are taken to a satisfying conclusion.

Like I said, I'm not the target audience, but if I was 13 again or I had children of my own, I think it's definitely an exciting series and universe to get into, and a great way to get kids involved in reading!

A definite thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun fronm start to finish., 14 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I bought this book for my nephew but having heard how good it was I read it myself. I was not disappointed - it's an excellent read and one of the more original childrens' books I've read for some time.
In fact I enjoyed it so much I've just bought the new book and I can hardly wait for the next one. There is no age limit to enjoying good books!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter has no equal!, 25 Jun 2000
By A Customer
J.K. Rowling seems to be the printed version of Steven Spielberg--and she can't seem to miss! And refreshing it is to see a series of "children's literature" become so succesful--owing to its page after page of exciting delights! In Book 1 of this incredibly successful series (financially and otherwise), we find probably the most famous 11-year old in the world--Harry Potter!
We meet young Harry as the ward of some very repulsive relatives (aunt, uncle, cousin), who clearly detest Harry (they make him sleep in a broom closet!). It does not take the reader long to sympathize with Harry. And then--something magical happens. He is visited by a representative of "the other world" and is invited to attend Hogwarts, a school for wizards and witchcraft. Suffice it to say, Harry is permitted to attend Hogwarts and there the fun--and adventure--begins! Of course, Hogwarts is not without its villains, secrets, and "good fellas"! Harry proceeds to "learn the ways" of wizardry! Harry's destiny seems clear--that he is to follow in the footsteps of his parents, who, unbeknownst to Harry for the past 11 years, were wizards themselves. Exciting adventure after exciting adventure follow--and we are introduced to the sport of the century Quidditch, a soccer-like game where players compete on broomsticks. Under all the hoopla, of course, is the "secret of the philosopher's stone"--the principle plot concern here!
Harry's--and the readers'--adventures have just begun! Already three in this series have been published, with the long-awaited fourth set for July! I can just imagine the frenzy when Book No. 4 appears! I can hardly wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunning Achievement in the cagegory of (Children's) Lit !, 16 Jan 2000
By A Customer
I bought the first book for my then-seven year old son, thinking that we could enjoy them together. Although he is a wonderfully capable reader, I didn't know whether he would be able to sit down and read such a large volume. Well, within one chapter I was dismissed and banished from his room, where he stayed until finished! I had to play catch-up to be able to discuss it with him. We have since had a lot of fun reading the first three books to one another. We purchased them to keep....the school library has 6 copies of each book and the waiting list is 50+ long FOR EACH TITLE! IN AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!
A word to anyone who has a concern about the "witch" content of these books. (This was a rallying point for some U.S. fundamentalist religions which did not want members' children reading the books). Don't let your children miss out on these stories because of hearsay....it simply isn't true! Rowling's stories are fiction, they are not a blueprint for becoming a witch any more than Star Wars is a blueprint for becoming a space-travelling Jedi! These stories are wonderfully moral, and provide numerous opportunities for talking to your children about fair play, courage, loyalty, responsibility, the obligation to do good....the possibilities are endless! I'm thrilled that this generation of children has a worthy talisman of literature that I am certain will remain popular for as long as there are books! But, Jo, could you maybe, just for me, do what the wonderful Malcolm Saville did with the Lone Pine books and let us have TWENTY volumes instead of just the seven??????? Thank you so much for this wonderful series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter-Well worth Reading!, 2 Aug 1999
By A Customer
A friend of mine has been trying for months to get me to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, but I refused to read it, insisting it wasn't the type of book I would would enjoy. Afterall, witches and wizards were just some of those things that can't happen and I never really liked books about the "impossible." However we made a deal where she would take me to our favorite restaurant if I'd read Harry Potter. So, I unhappily began reading the first chapter, half expecting to find that the book was a good book after all. But, it seemed a rather slow start that was boring. Same thing with the second chapter. Somehow I managed to get to the fourth chapter and I was surprised to find that somewhere along the line I'd gotten interested in the story. I read on, growing more and more interested as I read. The characters that seemed so dull and boring at first were now blooming into real characters! I found myself changing some opinions I started with. Hermione had seemed like such a know-it-all type of person at the beginning and by the end I was starting to like her. Her vast knowledge really helped Harry and Ron. Hagrid turmed out to be a friend to Harry and his friends. The story had a marvelous ending that only a brillant author like Joanna Rowling could have created to be fitting to this exceptional story. Some people have written reviews saying that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone doesn't live up to all the hype surrounding it. That's simply not true. Harry Potter may very well someday be a classic, like Charlette's Web and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Besides knowing that this book really was great, I know one more thing. I got the better end of the deal with my friend: Now I will get to go to the restaurant AND have had the opportunity to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. :o)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 1/7
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 1/7 by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2004)
9.09