5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and uplifting
Published on 8 Sept. 2012 by Jan

3.0 out of 5 stars Set School Book
This is a set book for my daughter's class. I haven't read it and I don't think they will be yet. No idea what it is like.
Published 16 months ago by Bon Dignam

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and uplifting, 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Spilled Water (Paperback)
I have just re-read this brilliant book for no real reason other than I love it and am constantly putting it on lists of suggested reading for the year 7 and year 8 pupils. It reminds English schoolgirls that even if they hate school with a passion their lives could be so much worse! Lu Si-yan is called "Spilled Water" by her uncle simply because she is a girl and therefore of no use to the family. Following the death of her loving and much loved father this uncle sells the 11 year old Lu Si-yan in the market and she becomes an unpaid domestic slave to a couple, who intend that she will eventually become the wife of their brain-damaged son. She has to work very hard and is constantly unhappy as she misses her own family and her old life in her faraway village. She manages to escape and intends to find her way back to her family, but she has more problems to overcome before she reaches home.

Lu Si-yan is a brave and resourceful girl and her story is both heart breaking and uplifting. She is badly treated but she is a survivor and her strength and determination win our admiration. This remarkable story is, of course fiction, but it reminds us that slavery is not consigned to history and in some parts of the world it is still common practice. Girls are particularly vulnerable to this form of exploitation and I therefore encourage pupils to read this story to gain an understanding of the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars spilled water, 19 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Spilled Water (Paperback)
wow. thats all i have to say. this is a tear jerking, and heartwarming novel by an amazing author. she really explains what its like to have trouble surviving, and how different it is in some other parts of the world.ive read the book twice, and both times i couldnt put the book down!i really like hearing about lu-si-yan and Li-hu and their mother, and all abot lu-si-yans adventure, and how all her pain and grief finally got her to where she wanted, but then she was hit hard with some terrible news. i nearly cried when i read it the second time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spilled Water, 3 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Spilled Water (Paperback)
I loved this book! The storyline is excellent. The book is well written and descriptive in an interesting way. This book is one of the best books I have read. I would recommend this book to all other teenagers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Favourite book so far., 6 July 2005
This review is from: Spilled Water (Paperback)
Spilled water is a amazing new novel by Sally Grindley. It has a great storyline, and also has good detail of the characters and their emotions.
It has a true meaning, i couldn't help myself but read on and find out what happens to the main character Lu Si-Yan.
I defintley recomend it to anyone, especially teenagers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spillled Water, 2 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Spilled Water (Hardcover)
A magnificent book conveying the harshness of a childhood in China with a rare dignity and beauty. One of the most moving and engaging childrens books written in recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Spilled Water (Paperback)
I was given this book as a prize for a book review I wrote when I was 9. I haven't read it since, but the story has been engraved in my brain. I don't think a book has ever affected me as much as this particular book has. I highly recommend it to children and adults alike, I am about to read it again, I'm curious as to how the story will translate now that I am 18 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Spilled Water (Paperback)
My 10 year old daughter read this book at school and loved it, she said she couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end.....thought I'd buy it for her birthday, she'll be dead chuffed

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, 16 Jun. 2014
Mr. Philip Grundy "Norman" (England, Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
Theway the story was told was great. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and how much it relates to the real world. It really made me think.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking book., 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Spilled Water (Paperback)
If I am honest I am not an avid reader but as I work in a school decided I should be! This book had me hooked from the moment I started it. You could certainly put yourself in the little girl's shoes and have empathy with the character. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have placed it into our class library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Spilled Water (Paperback)
I remember reading this when I was around ten or eleven and thinking it was amazing. I've been meaning to read it again ever since but the library where I got it from closed down shortly after I read it and I haven't seen it around since. Any book lover or cultural person would love this, but I strongly recommend it to everyone. A brilliant book!

Spilled Water
Spilled Water by Sally Grindley (Paperback - 6 Jun. 2005)