on 14 March 2012
I'm sure you've all heard enough of Harry Potter to know what the story entails, which is why this review is going to focus on the practical aspects of this order. What appealed to me most about the adult edition of the books was the artwork. Each book has a unique cover that won't embarrass you if others saw it on the train. They reflect the true dark nature of the Potter novels. I also wanted a hardcover edition of the books so they would last a long time after many re-reads. The books themselves also come packed in a thick cardboard box which gives them added protection on your bookshelf. However, the only drawback about this product is that it only has books 1-5 in, as it was released prior to 6 and 7.
For information on the content of the books please read my individual reviews.
However for neophytes to the Potter series, this is an ongoing story of a young wizard and his pals coming of age and his adventures in learning how to deal with people and situations that become more of a challenge as he advances through age.
There is a lot more depth and research that went into this series than the superficial story that holds it together.
Starting out with a box set will allow you to read at your own pace and know that the next book is just waiting for you.
Box sets are also more esthetic on the shelf.
There will inevitably be a seven book set but can you wait?
on 4 July 2012
I first read Harry Potter translated into French. Then I read it in "American". But living in France I got one of the books before it came out in the States, so I got the British version. I must say that I PREFER the British English to the silly American translation.

As another reviewer said, kids read the Narnia series by CS Lewis. We don't need it translated. So I have decided to get all of the HP books from amazon.co.uk . It's silly that they aren't available in the original version in the States.

I'm doing away with my US version.
on 30 July 2012
So I have already read all the Harry Potter books but I wanted this pack (and I will order the other 2 as well) as a reference and memory. So I went for a used set as I didn't care even if the books were a little torn/folded at the corners etc. But to my surprise, the books were in very good condition and in fact looked as if they hadn't been used at all...

Well about the books.. I think there is not much to be said. It is one of the greatest series of all times and someone who hasn't read it is surely missing something big in life :)
For information on the content of the books please read my individual reviews.
Box sets are also more esthetic on the shelf.
There will inevitably be a seven book set but can you wait?
on 30 September 2006
I didn't even know that these books were different in the UK. (Dumb American.) Upon finding out, I wistfully mentioned that it would be fun to read the originals, within my gentleman friend's hearing.

Guess what arrived yesterday. This boxed set is GORGEOUS. The paper is excellent quality and the volumes are lovely. I'm starting right at Book One, all over again. This box set gets five stars (and my fella gets 10!).
on 5 June 2013
Beautiful set in sturdy box. Each book had full cover illustration identical to jacket. Order of the Phoenix is a first edition. 9 year old son loving them even though he has seen all the movies many times. I think they will go around the rest of our family one by one, never to be recycled outside this house!
on 30 April 2005
What can I say about Harry Potter to convince you to read the books? The stories have the ability to make you feel as if you are really there alongside the characters! They are the type of books you just can't put down. You just get so engrossed into the story that your normal day to day life disappears! If you want to laugh, cry and experience every other emotion, read these books and I guarantee you'll become as big a Harry Potter fan as me!!
on 4 March 2007
I read the american versions of the books first and really enjoyed them, and I was curios to read the british versions and being that I have to wait another 4 and a half months, I thought this is a good to time to reread the series, and brush up on things that I may have missed or forgotten. Even though I knoew what was going to happen I still could not put these books down they were just that good, I just wish I read them slower seeing now that I re-read all 6 books in under a month i still have to wait but hey now I am totally up to speed.
on 16 May 2005
Some of these reviews do seem to have got it hopelessly wrong. Who cares what the "rank" of each book is! You're still going to read the sixth one aren't you??? And stop comparing this to Tolkein. Masterous as he may be - it is all in the past. There's room enough for more than one amazing fantasy author!!!