5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and oh-so-neatly put together
Perhaps an even better plot than Gaiman's wonderful "Coraline" - not a single word wasted or idea which isn't used more than once. Very funny, great positive heroine and other characters, wonderful internal logic and a couple of excellent twists. And its scary too.
Published on 16 Oct 2003 by Jack Shuttleworth

3.0 out of 5 stars freaky!
To be totally honest, I am completely freaked out by this book! But then, that I presume is what the author intends.
Although a children's picture book, I would certainly not give this to my child, not unless I wanted them to have nightmares.
Published on 4 Sep 2003 by maz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and oh-so-neatly put together, 16 Oct 2003
Jack Shuttleworth (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wolves in the Walls (Hardcover)
Dave McKean seems to have added a new depth to his illustrations, adding a richer feel to his near-perfect synergy with Neil Gaiman's texts. He echoes the economy of the words, with a small number of key images defining the world perfectly with no superfluous crowding - this is not to say it is sparse - the place is vidily rich - with hints of wolves and perhaps even an elephant if you look hard enough.
The typography is also wonderful for young readers because it virtually scores how to read the text out loud, it is near impossible to read without moving your lips.
The plot is firmly in the world of make-up stories with kids - a ordinary (ish) family in a real house . . . and a little turn of phrase that comes to transform their world. Once you've said "everyone knows that when the Wolves come out of the walls . . . " everything that follows makes perfect sense and generates heaps of giggles too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully scary, 8 Oct 2009
I am the headteacher of a primary school. I passed the door of the assembly hall as this book was being read to the school by one of the teachers. I could see the children were transfixed, sitting with mouths open in disbelief as the disturbing story unfolded. I crept in to join them and was immediately caught up in the story of the family, driven from their house by the wolf yobs appearing from the walls and helping themselves to clothing, musical instruments and jam sandwiches. They took over the house like a gang of hungry teenagers, whilst the family skulked in the garden. Lucy, the feisty young daughter, was determined to reclaim her beloved pig puppet and her house. She led the family back through the walls of the house, from where they all charged to chase the wolves away. There is a wonderful twist at the end of the story that had the older children laughing and clapping and left the younger ones slightly worried. All seemed to be resolved until Lucy thought she heard elephants in the walls and found squashed jam sandwiches left around the house.
All 115 of us in the hall loved the book. It was frightening, funny and full of surprises. The illustrations were beautiful; dark and slightly threatening but also full of humour, for those who could uncover their eyes and look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Very Funny, 23 May 2008
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is one of those very rare books which manages to satisfy every reader. It's a picture book, which is great to read to smaller children (ones who like being frightened I might add). It has a sophisticated text, and the pictures are really detailed, which makes it great for older readers, and it's hilarious, well written and nicely tense, which makes it perfect for parents.

The artwork is more reminiscent of a graphic novel than the usual standard of illustration in kids' books. It adds a real air of menace to the story, which revolves around a family who find that wild wolves and their evil, partying ways are gradually breaking into the house from the cavities in the walls and taking over, forcing the family to retreat and come up with a plan for reclaiming their house.

It is very, very funny and has some lovely twists. Highly recommended. My four year old loves it, although she is rather macabre, so ordinarily I'd go for six and ups for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark fun, 4 Jan 2004
D. Lloyd "DioBach" (West Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wolves in the Walls (Hardcover)
I bought this for my new born son to one day enjoy. Dark and funny, he will have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Dave's art is as hot as it has ever been and Neil's writting will give children well earnt nightmares for years to come.
A fantasy family tale with wicked undertones, it will enthrall and entertain ALL family members. The final few frames had me laughing like a drain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, broke quickly, 28 July 2012
I love this book, and I studied it for art. It is a brilliant book and I highly suggest it being read by anyone, but may be a little sinister and scary for kids!! As an 18 year old though, I really enjoyed it. My only issue is very quickly the pages of the book came away from the cover completely at the spine, after only a few reads. But this may just have been a problem with my copy, but this is something I would be weary of when buying! It should not put you off this great book though

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WOLVES IN THE WALL, 2 Jun 2009
Y. J. Fielding (stockport, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for the slightly older child who likes their stories to be a little bit scary. Neil Gaiman is a brilliant writer for adults and his children's books are a good way of introducing children to him as an author and hopefully they will still like him when they get older.

3.0 out of 5 stars freaky!, 4 Sep 2003
maz (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wolves in the Walls (Hardcover)
For Gaiman fans however, this is a must. The pictures are surreal, the humour dark and the plot utterly insane. Gaiman's style is unique however and fans of Coraline will be overjoyed by this masterpiece.
Personally, it is the illustrations which make this book. Without them, the plot would just not work. Lovers of dark and unusual illustrations will be most impressed.
Definitely more of a collectors item rather than one for the kid's bedroom, but fun nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brooding & dark - Gaiman at his best., 5 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Wolves in the Walls (Hardcover)
This has all the elements of a good, jolly 'join-in' story for children: lots of repetition of words and themes; eye-catching illustrations with bold colours; lots of silly ideas such as the wolves "singing & dancing & telling jokes"; and a heroine with only a trusted toy to help her sort things out.
Yet it is the stuff of the scariest & most sinister fairy tales - forget the Grimm Brothers, this is a truly scary tale with eye-poppingly scary illustrations to match.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark & disturbing, just how kids (might) like it., 7 Nov 2007
N. Page - See all my reviews
The prospect of exposing my 5 and 8 year-olds to the writing of Gaiman and the graphical beauty of McKean was one that was far too good to miss, so I bought this book, despite the protestations of my son who was really wanting a book about robots instead. I'm extremely glad I stuck to my guns, though not for the reasons I first intended.
In many ways this book is more of a parent's choice than a kid's choice, as the quality of the artwork is almost too good for children, with Dave McKean's stunning photo-collage style used to typically jaw-dropping effect; I found myself poring over page after page, wondering just how exactly he had put them together them, and where he gets such imagination and compositional skill from. No matter, the art combines with a relatively slight yet sinister tale to create a whole that seemed to me much greater than its parts. There are better stories out there for sure, but few have given me as much continued enjoyment as reading and re-reading this book.
As for my robot-loving son, I've yet to read this with him for fear of the nightmares it is sure to inspire. I'm at last enjoying uninterupted nights' sleep, and having spent years convincing my children there are no monsters in their room at night I'm not sure I am ready to have it undone by this story. Maybe when they're older...

5.0 out of 5 stars English Association Prizewinner, 19 July 2004
This review is from: The Wolves in the Walls (Hardcover)
Winner of the Key Stage 2 Fiction category of the English Association's 'English 4-11' Best Books Awards. Reminiscent in a way of the theme of 'Not Now Bernard', Neil Gaiman has created a sinister and creepy book which is not for the timorous. Wolves in the Walls grapples with aspects of childhood and the wisdom of adults and leaves the reader asking 'What happened?'

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Wolves in the Walls
The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (Hardcover - 15 Sep 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01