on 19 January 2014
This book was a nice change from the other books I have been reading lately. I can imagine someone like Tim Burton directing a film version.I would recommend this book 100% even though it took a chapter or two to really get into. I had a tear in my eye towards the end which is a sign of a good book!
on 23 December 2014
I chose this rating as I enjoyed this story very much. Would like to have know Bods real name, I didn't like the sleer story line, the creature described was silly. But on the whole a light easy reading fantasy tale.
on 2 March 2015
I found this offbeat, engaging tale of an orphaned infant raised by the denizens of a graveyard unusual and imaginative, as you might expect from Neil Gaiman, and a thoroughly enjoyable read. It is the best Gaiman novel I have read so far (I enjoyed Good Omens and Neverwhere but couldn't get along with American Gods).
on 16 February 2012
My only other experience of Neil Gaiman is through his collaboration with Terry Pratchett on Good Omens so I didn't know what to expect from this book. What an original story! I don't want to say anything about the plot here as even a clue will spoil the book for others but it gripped me completely and I read it in less than a day. Going to make the effort to read other Gaiman books now.
on 14 May 2014
I know it's technically classed as a kids book but it was a great story which I would recommend to any grown up. An enthralling story with great characters which tickles the imagination. I would definitely read more Neil Gaiman after this.
on 24 September 2013
My ten year old daughter and I are reading this and loving it, we read it together at night as part of the going to bed ritual. Neil Gaiman is a master story teller and he takes this potentially grusome tale and beautifully spins it into a tale that is charming and magical.
on 18 April 2013
A very light hearted look at death from deaths side of the fence so to speak,the characters of the book are very unique and slightly skewed but are on the whole either very nice or very nasty . The book was read by me over the space of 2 hours as I just couldn't put it down so to say I enjoyed the read would be an understatement so to Mr Gaiman I would say well done on an other excellent book and thank you for having such a wonderfully strange and fantastic imagination and for sharing it with me x
on 11 March 2014
From the 1st sentence I needed to find out what happened next. The chapters where Nobody stood up against the two class bullies is actually a good analogy of how children can take the fear away. This was a great book and I'd love to find out how he gets on as an adult. I have my son reading this now.
on 20 January 2014
This is the first book by Neil Gaiman I've read. And what a book! Fabulous characters, a great story with creepy and exciting scenes. I've now download 5 more books by this truly amazing author. I can't recommend this beautiful written book enough. A book for adult' s and kids alike.
on 22 September 2014
Another gem from the vivid imagination of Neil Gaiman. I read this book over 2 nights, it took me to wonderful places and introduced me to special characters. Who would of thought I could feel fond of a ghostly few characters in a book, but I did.

A young boy is left at a cemetery when he is a tiny baby and raised by the inhabitants of this cemetery, yes, the ghosts. It's a spectacular book, each ghost has the most amazing aspect to them, all unique, incredible characters you will grow to love. This young boy grows up with them but he wants to know who killed his parents, the reason he is there at all. He wants to find them. It's a very, very bad idea.

Gaiman again melds the real world with a fantasy world in a way that you believe it's out there, it's a place you could visit. Pure book escapism. Whilst this is a middle grade targeted book, even young teen, adults will enjoy it too, it's got the most incredible illustrations dotted through the text that just enhances the imagery that Gaiman sprouts onto the pages.

The way the ghosts care for this young boy, their very purpose is to protect him and keep him safe is beautiful. This is an emotive book that stirs up so much inside. I adored some of the ghoulish characters like they were my friends too.

What happens? Does he find who killed his family? Is it explained why he a human boy is able to live amongst the spirits of a graveyard, his home for many, many years? What tricks does he learn? And most importantly, where does he end up?

With danger, imagery that is beautiful, creativity, spectacular storytelling and a fascinating plot, The Graveyard book is a must read for anyone that loves to have their imagination soar away. Trust me, it's just fabulous. This atmospheric book will have me never walk through a graveyard again without wondering....a great read, a great escape, a wonderful plot and memorable characters. Once again I have been enticed into the worlds that Gaiman is so adept at creating.