5.0 out of 5 stars Superb translation
Published on 21 April 2006 by JR Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars What is this edition for?
The quality of the Greek is considered excellent by those who know but I am uncertain as to what the point is of a book that is just as difficult as actual Ancient Greek texts. If you know Greek well enough to read this why wouldn't you read the real thing?
Published 3 months ago by D. J. Barnsdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb translation, 21 April 2006
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1): Ancient Greek Edition (Hardcover)
I am not a particular Harry Potter fan, but the appeal of reading this book in Ancient Greek resulted in me rushing out to buy it! From what I can tell, the translation is superb and manages to give the story a definite Greek feel to it, without losing any of its original qualities. It was certainly a challenging read, even with a translation at my side, but I definitely think it was worth it. The book is ideal for learners of Ancient Greek as you will surely increase your vocabulary by reading it. There is also a certain satisfaction that you acquire from understanding such a complex language and I found myself feeling this a lot throughout the book. Unfortunately, I can't imagine there'd be a big demand for such a translation, but if you're mad on Harry Potter then it's worth just purchasing it to add to your collection. And those Greek experts who snigger at the idea of such a translation should really

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for all Ancient Greek lovers, 7 Oct 2004
This book is a gem. The translation is gorgeous and brilliant (it really seems that Ancient Greek is Andrew Wilson's mother tongue!). Weird terms like "quidditch" (éáñóöáéñé), "snitch", (öèáóí), "Hogwarts Express" (ùñò é) and many others were brilliantly rendered according to their meaning. Many cultural difficulties (relationships, time, natural world, colours, noises) were wittily solved.
Mr Wilson rightly attaches importance to details (even in the title: the gender of ßèò, which is normally masculine, correctly becomes feminine owing to the fact that we are referring to a special stone: öéóüö ßèò).
Style is really classical.
If you are fond of Ancient Greek, buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure of a quite special kind!, 22 Mar 2007
M. Mayer (Wien) - See all my reviews
The translator has performed a Herculean task. And it is a success! Hearty congratulations! I recommend this novel to everyone who loves Ancient Greek. It is not an easy read, but a pleasure of a quite special kind. But of course there are mistakes in it, particularly errors of accentuation. That is a pity; the book should have been proofread more rigorously. That will have to be done better if there is another edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book, 11 Sep 2013
Hello! I am Greek and I love ancient Greek. In school ancient Greek was one of my favorites subjects and I usually buy books written in ancient Greek.The book arrived on time and I read few passages in order to review the product and I have to say it; it’s a must have book for all ancient Greek lovers. I wanted to purse it the last three years and I do not regret buying it. The translation is really very, very good and for me it was fun to discover the names that the characters or places have in ancient Greek. In my opinion this book can be used from teachers/professors that instruct ancient Greek in order to motivate their students to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry potter translated in Ancient Greek, 10 May 2013
Wonderful book, with a wonderful story and a marvellous Ancient Greek translation! I recommend it to every lover of beautiful stories and/ or Plato's language!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 19 Sep 2012
liarliar (Ayr, Scotland) - See all my reviews
As an ancient Greek student about to start my first year,, as well as being a Harry Potter fan, I bought this book to encourage me to study. So far I've only flicked through the pages in awe, and I anticipate that it might be a year or two before I can read it, but it remains a source of inspiration on my bookshelf. And it looks pretty cool

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this edition, 9 April 2014
As a Classics teacher, born in Greece, and huge Harry Potter fan, I thought to buy the Ancient Greek translation of the 1st Harry Potter book. It's really amazing. Very good translated into Ancient Greek!!
A must have for the Harry Potter fans who love and know Ancient Greek!!

3.0 out of 5 stars What is this edition for?, 11 Jan 2014