5.0 out of 5 stars Kindred Spirits
Anyone familiar with the lives and works of
Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe will know
that this story cannot have a happy ending.
Mr Mapplethorpe's death from AIDS-related illness
in 1989 drew a sad line underneath a unique
friendship. 'Just Kids' is Mme Smith's memoir of
that extraordinary relationship.

That they were kindred...
Published on 19 April 2010 by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Kids [Kindle edition]
Just Kids I was interested in the Kindle version of this but no photographs are included due to copyright reasons.
Published on 30 Jan 2011 by R. Tidd

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Singer, poet, writer, 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: Just Kids (Kindle Edition)
I've never been a fan of Patti Smith and the only thing I knew about her was that she recorded "Because the night" hit. I've never heard about Robert Mapplethorpe. I read a fragment of the book in magazine and I ordered it immediately.

Astonishing picture of the rock and roll era, simple and frank portrait of artists of these times and - the most beautiful story of friendship and love that lasts forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patti doesn't let you down, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Just Kids (Paperback)
I found this a compelling insight into the complex, close and highly (artistically and emotionally, if not always financially) supportive relationship between Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe. I'm not familiar with the work of RM and have come to the book as a fan of the author's music, and whilst music and some of its icons of the late 60s to mid 70s do get a mention (Jimi, The Doors, Janis, Tim Buckley) it is not a book about music. Rather, the central story concerns the artistic paths taken by two driven individuals. You get the impression neither could have achieved what they did without the other, and because I know nothing about the work of RM I have accepted the praise heaped on it by the author (other reviewers clearly think otherwise).
The book beautifully evokes New York with characters from many forms of the arts including painters, poets, fashion designers and musicians - as well as just the beautiful.
I personally really liked the space given to Harry Smith (who lived in the Chelsea Hotel at the same time as PS and RM), who I had previously only known as the enigmatic creator of the important and highly influential collection of field recordings of American folk.
Highly readable, and recommended.

PS I write short reviews to try and help people decide quickly whether an item might be of interest. If you mark this review "unhelpful" (not simply that you disagree with me), then a short comment explaining why would be appreciated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Less Chelsea, more photographs!, 1 Jun 2012
This review is from: Just Kids (Paperback)
"Just Kids" is an enjoyable enough read, but the book feels slightly unfinished to me. It is divided up in five chapters - the childhoods of Patti and Robert, the early years, the time at the Chelsea, the time after the Chelsea and the last years. The emphasis is on the time at the Chelsea and overly so, I feel, especially with what feels like a biiit too much of name dropping going on... (I mean, yes, there were a lot of well-known and famous people around, but do we really have to know them all?) I would personally have liked to read a lot more about both the early and the last years. That said, "Just Kids" is a good read and even more so because of the just beautiful (!!!) photographs that are spread throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Inspirational, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Just Kids (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually like autobiographies but I found this to be beautifully written and truly inspirational. It's made me get off my lazy a**e, stop watching so much telly, and start playing my guitar, writing songs and getting to know my DSLR again.

5.0 out of 5 stars pure poetry; incredible, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: Just Kids (Paperback)
The most amazing memoirs ever. Patti Smith is awesome. It's the story about people who really loved and got each other completely. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A POETIC MASTERPIECE!, 20 Jun 2011
Ronny Søgård (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Kids (Paperback)
This is a wonderful poetic masterpiece by Patti! I loved this book. She writes so fantastic, and with such love for the language.

And what a story her life together with Robert Mapplethorpe is! Mapplethorpe was a true artist just like Patti! This must be one of the best books I have ever read, and I have read books by some really good authors (Kerouac, Bukowski, Fante and Pessoa to name some of them).

There`s also some relly nice photos in this book, taken mostly by Patti and Robert.
This is their story, and I don`t think it could have been told much better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Designated rock poet..., 15 Jun 2011
stylepuppy (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Just Kids (Paperback)
I guess if you want to know what actually happened at last night's party you should ask the most sober person there and for the creative orgy that was 70's New York City that person is Patti Smith. Having avoided the worst drug excesses of her contemporaries she's retained amongst the clearest recollection of that time.

It's really touching to read how she and Robert Mapplethorpe look out for each other as they struggle to become artists and inspiring to hear how much they galvanise each other's talent and ambition. They must seem, in hindsight at least, to be the oddest of odd couples yet the most affecting and somehow the truest thing in the book is their love for each other. Patti Smith is probably the only person that could have lived this story and she's certainly the only person that could tell it with so much honesty and grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Salvation., 19 May 2011
This review is from: Just Kids (Hardcover)
Incredible, Smith is a fantastic raconteur and craftsman. I read this cover to cover one afternoon did the same thing the very next day. A must have for fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivetting poetry, 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: Just Kids (Paperback)
Great writing about a particular time in history. Didn't know much about Patti but this book tells the story leading up to Horses lp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read, 4 Mar 2011
D. J. C. Cuffe "Dave Cuffe" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Kids (Hardcover)
I saw a review of this somewhere and bought it on a whim. I was never particularly a fan of either Patti Smith or Robert Mapplethorpe although I am of the same generation. This book is the account of their relationship and it is one of the most moving things I have read. I am not qualified to comment on its literary merit, but I have not stopped talking about this book since I read it. Even though you know the outcome from the outset, it is so well put together that when I turned the last page I had to stop myself from crying, and I'm a tough old guy. In addition, there is a vivid evocation of 1970s New York and biography of two kids, who were indeed artists. If you come to this cold, with no previous exposure to Patti Smith, as I did, do as I did and buy "Horses" her first album, and watch her on U-Tube.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb51e2f60)

Just Kids
Just Kids by Patti Smith (Paperback - 4 Jan 2011)