5.0 out of 5 stars deeply thoughtful
i bought this book on the strength of deborah jackson's Three in a Bed, and it didn't disappoint.
It is hard, in a short review, to give credit to the full range of dj's insights and approach, since so much is covered. she has the knack of making our complex feelings and ideas feel simple and clear.
But - I would say - the basic tenet of her book is love, to...
Published on 3 July 2004 by minty

3.0 out of 5 stars great book the first time round...
Published on 17 Feb 2006 by bookaholic

5.0 out of 5 stars deeply thoughtful, 3 July 2004
This review is from: Letting Go as Children Grow: From Early Intimacy to Full Independence - a Parent's Guide (Paperback)
But - I would say - the basic tenet of her book is love, to relax and that is the letting go part of the title. I think she is also saying, which chimed with my views too - that there is so much emphasis, even in babyhood and toddlerhood and childhood on achievement, getting it right, being perfect (and being the perfect parent). Whether this takes the form of : toy libraries, early learning, sign language, Fisher toys, experts on this and experts on that, "bonding", "socialisation", "safety", on and on - i think dj's plea is for a little lightness, and freedon/relaxation, the mother trusting her own, deep instincts, and I guess, Love is really what its all about.
She doesn't skirt over difficult or controversial issues, and approaches them sensitively, her particular plea for "community" was especially interesting for me, not so easy to achieve, but still she takes an inspiring, commonsense appraoch.
A hypothesis against anxiety and for simple, ordinary parental love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parents are the experts!, 30 Dec 2005
I have three children aged 7, 4 and 1. I first read this book when my eldest daughter was three and have read it every few months ever since. It's my parenting pick-me-up.
I think that this is a wonderful resource for parents who are happy to let their children grow up in their own time and who just want to love and support them along their way. This is not a "how to..." book, rather it is a reminder that parents are the experts when it comes to their own children. It talks about how to tread that fine line between allowing your children the freedom to be who they are while also teaching them that they live in social groups with certain rules and expectations.
For anyone wanting a more child centred approach to parenting without turning their child into the centre of the universe, this book is invaluable.

3.0 out of 5 stars great book the first time round..., 17 Feb 2006
This is a good book, which I thoroughly enjoyed when my daughter was a baby. Unfortunately, I didn't know it had been re-issued under a new title and the details on Amazon don't inform the reader about this. This book is an updated reissue of Deborah Jackson's 'Do Not Disturb' which is what I already had on my bookshelf. Had I known this, I wouldn't have ordered 'Letting Go as Children Grow' and it is because of this unclear marketing that I've only rated it 3 stars... Oh well, we live and learn! Just thought I'd make it clear for other potential buyers in case they also have the original version. Happy reading and parenting!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's okay not to hot-house, 27 Oct 2006
If you want a book that reassures you it's okay to just enjoy your child and give them space to develop into their own person... this is the one. Deborah Jackson has a wonderfully calm way of talking, using her own experiences and research to help you have confidence in your own parenting. There are no techniques. No rules. No dogma. If you feel at odds with modern parenting 'methods' all of a sudden there's someone who's speaking your language. A great antidote to all the 'how to' 'parent vs. child' books out there. Lovely!

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing and honest look at common sense child rearing, 17 Nov 2009
Deborah Jackson is a wonderful writer and a brave one too. Finally, a parenting author who tells us to be honest, to relax and to be genuine. So many books on this subject belittle parents into thinking that they must 'act' like a good parent, be stern and strong. Deborah Jackson has courageously written the truth and I'd recommend this book to anyone - parent or not. After all, we were all kids once.