This book should be available to all expectant parents. In an age where medical adivice can be overwhelming, and contradictory this book gives us information about a more intuitive way to parenting.
It opens up the possibility of a more nurturing, natural way for you and your baby.
Published on 18 Oct. 2009 by Amanda Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, but not a solution to everything
Published on 4 Sept. 2009 by LHK

5.0 out of 5 stars There were three in the bed, and the little one said THANK YOU., 18 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby (Paperback)
Reading this book allowed me to trust my instincts, to reaslise that humans have been having babies for their entire history and that actually, sleeping right next to mummy and daddy is the safest, most emotionally secure place for baby to be. It explains the benefits to both parents and baby; explains how natural it is to sleep next to each other and how safe it can be.
I co-slept with two out of three of my children, I can not put into words how I so wish I had read this book before I'd had my first baby. It saddens me to realise how much we both lost as a result of not having known how safe co-sleeping is.

Do yourself, your children and your heart a favour, read this book and make a more informed choice about co-sleeping.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read for mums to be (or new mums), 9 April 2006
I love this book, it really gave me the confidence to parent in my own way and to follow my instincts. From day one, my baby had decided she was not going to sleep in a cot, no way, she screamed the place down every time i tried to put her in her plastic crib in the hospital. I don't think she had absorbed a word of the Gina Ford book I read whilst pregnant and had arrived with her own ideas firmly in place.
After reading this book I just got on with co sleeping and enjoyed it. At about 8 mths she went into her cot, right next to my bed, without any upset. This is working well for us. But if she wants to she comes in with me.
All parents should read it, even if just to balance their views.

5.0 out of 5 stars A carefully considered book which explains the benefits of sleeping with your baby., 23 Feb. 2010
madlizzie "lizzy" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
I really found this book useful. Having breast fed my son I found it was often the case that he stayed in bed with us. I had followed the co-sleeping guidelines, but still felt a failure when I explained to other people that he was staying in our bed. This book gave me the confidence to follow my natural instincts, and how he would benefit from the close security of being with his mom. It also made me understand that its also fine to put him is own bed when the time is right.

4.0 out of 5 stars as a new mum you can be prone to feeling guilty anyway and this book could make you feel guilty for not stopping your baby cryin, 15 Aug. 2014
I bought the book as I was interested in the practical safety aspects of bed sharing as I found it was the easiest thing to do to get a nights sleep while breastfeeding my baby. Before I read the book I was feeling a bit guilty and that bed sharing was the wrong thing to do but this book made me feel much more confident in my choice and now my baby is 5 months old I can definitely say I don't feel I have gone through as much tiredness and sleep deprivation most other people talk about. In fact, I don't feel sleep deprived at all, and haven't done for months despite my baby having colic until 15 weeks.
The only thing I would say is this book is a little over the top on other matters, as a new mum you can be prone to feeling guilty anyway and this book could make you feel guilty for not stopping your baby crying absolutely immediately every time he/she cries (pretty impossible) and for not wearing your baby in a sling ( I liked the idea of this but it gave me incredibly painful feet and back).
In summary, an interesting read if you are reading lots of parenting books, and if you want to share a bed with your baby it definitely confirms that this is a valid choice to make. The safety aspects I bought it for were in there but were only a very tiny part of the book.
P.s. the book's main message is that if you bed share your child will grow up to be more confident, happy and independent. So far our 5 month old is very content and sociable having slept in our bed for most of his life, but it is early days yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful read - and it works, 26 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
My baby is 5 months old. It was actually the nurse who came to visit every day after she was born who told us that it would be ok to let her sleep in bed with us. We had no preconceived plan, but had instinctively put bedsharing into practice mainly because I was to lazy to get up 10 times in the night during the first days and weeks. There is no question that this works. She sleeps very well and is a very happy and calm baby. However there is no need to follow this practice like a religion. Our baby sleeps some nights entirely in her cot in our room - other nights she sleeps with us - and she sleeps alone outside (a Nordic practice!) during the day. She gets a great deal of attention but by no means do I carry her around all the time. I find some of the ideas of the book a bit far fetched, behaviourist, and "new age" and sometimes a bit too prescriptive, despite the authors best efforts not to be. Nevertheless I think that she is basically right and if it takes this book to convince parents and give them confidence it is a good thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, but not a solution to everything, 4 Sept. 2009
Like many other new mothers, I have ended up sharing a bed with my son (now 12 weeks) out of exhaustion in the middle of the night. And, like many other mothers, I find few things more wonderful than waking up next to him. It was fantastic to find a book which told me that it was beneficial to do this; I am at a loss as to why co-sleeping is quite so frowned upon, as it is a very natural thing to do.

That said, the book does go too far in places. Ideas such as the reason why the US and Russia are the most aggressive nations on earth (it's a little out-dated) is because it is in these countries where co-sleeping rates are lowest, demonstrate that the book's agenda is clear, and not quite as scientifically based as it appears. I expect that most members of the Taliban slept in their parents' beds as that's what happens in Central Asia - and look how they turned out!

I also think that there is far more to bringing up happy, confident children than co-sleeping, whereas both the book and other reviewers seem to think that co-sleeping guarantees this. I was left to cry as a baby, as was my husband, as that was what our mothers thought was best in the mid-1970s. However, we are both happy, secure and independent people, and apart from a couple of blips as teenages, always have been. We both have wonderful parents whose love was unending and unquestioned, and who always treated us fairly and with respect.

Finally, the book doesn't really deal with day time napping. My son sleeps brilliantly in a sling (Tinokis, an Isreaeli brand - fantastic) and I love love love carrying him around. However, I can't carry him all the time, as the book advocates. It's just not practical given our current lifestyles where, rightly or wrongly, we have so much else to deal with on a daily basis. It might be different if we were part of a jungle community somewhere and didn't have homes to run, and jobs away from the home to return to at some stage. And, twelve weeks in, I really do need a bit of time without my son strapped to me, but this book makes me feel that I might fail as a parent for encouraging my son to sleep on his own.

At the end of the day, the message that physical touch etc is a necessary thing for a new baby is a good one, and, when I can, I carry my son instead of putting him in his buggy. But, if you feel you can't do as the book suggests, then please remember that there are many other very important aspects of raising happy kids, and co-sleeping is not the be all and end all.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful releasing book, 2 Aug. 2010
I love this book. i have found it so liberating next to routine bound baby books. it is so baby focused and so sensitive to little ones need for love above all else.
my only criticism is the practicalities chapter doesn't really explain about bed covers enough, which was one of my main concerns. this book is about so much more than co-sleeping though.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 12 April 2005
I wish that this book could be given to all pregnant women and new mothers. I have had my daughter (now almost a year old) in bed with me since the day she was born and it has been one of the best things I've ever done. There is nothing better than feeling your precious baby next to your body at night. My husband also loves having her in the bed! And we have not suffered from the sleep deprivation that "normal" parents do because we never have to get up to feed her or even wake up fully. Deborah Jackson's book gave me the permission to follow my instincts and encouragement when the pressures of western society make me feel I was doing the wrong thing. I would recommend this book to any parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 Jan. 2010
When I brought my daughter home from the hospital I tried to put her in a crib after each feed only for her to wake and start crying. I didn't sleep for three nights. By the forth night, utterly exhausted I fell asleep with her in bed with me and she slept soundly. I felt a huge amount of guilt about sleeping with her as it is so frowned on. I didn't tell anybody until I read this book. It gave me a massive amount of confidence to follow my own instincts. This book completely changed my atitude about looking after a baby and I can't thank the author enough.

My daughter fed every 2 hours day and night for the first 8 weeks and co-sleeping meant I felt fine in the day. I didn't have any of the normal complaints about screaming babies at night time. It was a joy and still is.

At 12 weeks I decided to start a bedtime routine and she started to sleep in her cot. The transition went so smoothly. She is 4 months old now and still has one night time feed which I often do in bed and co-sleep until morning.

I still got the frowns when I told people about co-sleeping but this book gave me the confidence to admit to it and argue its benefits. I can't recommend this book highly enough to new mums. Go with your insticts.

5.0 out of 5 stars saved my sleepless nights. wonderful book., 12 Aug. 2012
Sara Mthomas "sara" (wales) - See all my reviews
I only wish I read this book before my daughter was born, I struggled with the so called routine i was told to stick to by my midwife and found the putting baby down in her own bed after breastfeeding her a total nightmare,I was constantly told not to even attempt to sleep with her as I would lie on her and was given leaflets re SIDS, it was not untill i stopped listening to midwives and took my colicky, screaming baby girl into my bed did we start getting some sleep and she settled, it was like a new baby, after all, a child should be next to their mother, animals do not make their newborns sleep in baskets in the other room!!! the book was insightful although it had a lot of history in it and child rearing practises in other cultures which was very interesting, it stuck to the point and was a really good read, especially if you are breastfeeding, buy this book if you know someone who is about to have a baby and also wants to breastfeed it's a must. I have reccommended it to many of my friends . excellent book.

Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby
Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby by Deborah Jackson (Paperback - 7 July 2003)