5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fun
My 2 year old loves this book and loves saying all the smelly words like "poo-wee" and "pong" as children do!! The toffee eating cow needs to get cleaned up so he goes to the hairdressers. It also helps getting over the message about what a hairdresser is and that it is fun. Not having yet to visit one I hope she realises it is a nice place to go. There is a surprise...
Published on 19 Mar 2007 by Jasper

3.0 out of 5 stars hamish the highland cow
fast service but book could have been better packed - slightly bent but I'm sure it well get more bent in the reading of it!
Published on 16 Dec 2009 by M Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars From dirty stinking cow to 'coolest cow in the highlands'!, 5 Jun 2013
Bebopa Lula (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hamish the Highland Cow (Paperback)
Hamish The Highland Cow has been part of my daughters book collection for a year or so. The book is a large size and has 32 pages which is I think is enough to hold a solid story, but not too long. It is a paperback book, with a wipe-clean cover. The illustrations are really lovely. They're fun, bright, colourful and bold. I like how the illustrations look really authentically hand drawn, it gives them a lot of character. Most of the illustrations are spread over two pages. My daughter seems to particularly enjoy seeing all the toffees and creepy crawlies in Hamish's coat and seeing all of Hamish's adventures when he visits the hairdressers.

The story is not only fun, but it has a good message. My daughter has never really had any issues with going to the hairdressers but I can imagine this would be a very beneficial book for children who refuse to make a trip to the hairdressers! It makes the hairdressers seem like a very fun place to be! It also shows that being clean, tidy and trying new things can really pay off - not only did Hamish think he looked very nice after his trip to the hairdressers (and he also enjoyed his time at the hairdressers) but his friends were so proud that they surprised him with a lovely gift. Very encouraging stuff indeed! The story always captures my daughters attention and she never gets bored of hearing it. The text is quite large which is handy for both children and adults. The text isn't rhyming or repetitive, but there are a lot of smaller words which are perfect for reading beginners. I think this book would most appeal to children 2-6 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: Hamish the Highland Cow (Paperback)
I originally discovered 'Hamish' in the waiting room at my dental practice and just had to buy them for my friend in Australia's wee boy 'HAMISH'. He loves them because they're so personalized! Great seller. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 8 Oct 2014
Cute story. Friendship. Great pictures

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Sep 2014
good purchase

4.0 out of 5 stars Hamish The Highland Cow, 12 Jun 2009
S. Mcclintock - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hamish the Highland Cow (Paperback)
Item arrived very quickly and not quite in a new condition, however the two year old who now owns it will no doubt leave his own mark.

3.0 out of 5 stars hamish the highland cow, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: Hamish the Highland Cow (Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars "Hamish the Highland Misfit - Don't Go Trying to Encourage Your Child's Individuality", 23 April 2011
This review is from: Hamish the Highland Cow (Paperback)
Having ordered this book at the same time as "brown rabbit in the city" (both on recommendation) it didn't take long to see through the thin veneer to the message that this book promotes.

Hamish is a long-haired highland cow and his friends despair with him not being up to their social standards. So they bribe him to visit the hairdressers and finally shower him with toffees and other gifts to reward him for changing his ways and becoming more like them.

If you're wanting to inhibit your child's individuality, to stifle any desires that they might have to really figure out who they are outside the context of 'the group', and to encourage them to not be open minded to those who want to do the same, then this book is for you.

As with my previous review of Brown Rabbit In the City, I'm not a fan of this kind of programming, so I think I'll be sticking to the offerings of Julia Donaldson, Axel Scheffler, Lydia Monks, et al. You can make up your own mind, but in my opinion it's books like these -especially read time and again- that give our children moral direction and a sense of what's right and wrong. Very subtle, but on the whole I just didn't like the intolerant message this book was promoting.

If you disagree with me - good for you! Please, please share your thoughts. After all, we're all allowed to be different, aren't we?

2.0 out of 5 stars OMG what a mess this book is., 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: Hamish the Highland Cow (Paperback)
I bought this book because I wanted my neices in New Zealand and for my own sons to have a bit of Highland Coo fun. Highland Coos are my favourite animal and it serves me right for reading the reviews and not reading the story in the book store. this book is written so badly it just makes no sense what so ever. The Coo has toffee and such stuck in his fur then he gets a hair cut and still gets the toffee he loves so much. It's a simple premise for a story but the way the story gets from the start to finish is all round about and non sensickle and almost borderline insulting to the readers intelligence. It's like someone wanted to write a book and had a hundred ideas but couldn't decide on a story line so they put them all into this story. which maybe says more about the bad editing more than anything. My boys LOVE to read and must have over 100 books in thier book case but this book is the only one that was read once then left on the shelf. My only saving grace is I didn't pay alot. I'm totally heart broken that is book is such a let down.

Hamish the Highland Cow
Hamish the Highland Cow by Natalie Russell (Paperback - 21 Jun 2004)