‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum., 20 Jan. 2005
Rebecca Herman (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
Teenaged Hannah and her older sister Sarah barely managed to escape London alive during the great plague of 1665. Now a year has passed, and the plague has finally died out. Hannah wants to return to London to reopen their sweets shop, but Sarah wishes to remain at the family home in the countryside. So when Hannah returns to the city, she is accompanied by her younger sister, Anne. However, her life is once again interrupted when fire begins to spread through London. Can Hannah find the strength to survive yet another terrible calamity?
I highly recommend this book to all readers who enjoyed the first book about Hannah, "At the Sign of the Sugared Plum." I also recommend it to new readers who enjoy historical fiction and are interested in this time period. Hannah is a wonderful character, and her struggle for survival is riveting. I hope Mary Hooper writes another book about Hannah's adventures, as I would love to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Petals in the Ashes, 27 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, its full of excitement and interesting things that all happen around the time of the Great Fire of London. This book has a little bit of romance, and facts about the Great Fire and the plague. It would appeal to girls around 11 upwards, but other girls would love it too. I would highly recommend this thrilling book. I hope you enjoy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent historical fiction., 23 April 2006
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
This book is classed as 'Young Adult' and I am definately an 'Old Adult'! However, since helping in my daughter's school library I have discovered some excellent teenage historical fiction.

I had read Geraldine Brooks's "Year of Wonders" which is also centred around the plague and I highly recommend this to older teens (it is adult historical fiction).

I thoroughly enjoyed "Petals in the Ashes" which starts in London with the plague in full swing.

Hannah and her sister Sarah are lucky to be able to leave the town sponsored by a wealthy family who ask them to take their baby to safety in Dorchester.

On their arrival they are horrified to find that they have to stay for a month in a squalid, stinking "pesthouse".

Once they are released there follows a limbo period where they are cared for by the baby's aunt, but are not really part of the household.

As soon as the threat from the plague is considered sufficiently reduced, they return to their parents in the countryside.

Money is tight and Hannah is keen to return to London where her sweetheart may still be alive.

Sarah stays to help her mother who is due to deliver in a couple of months, so Anne, the next youngest sister accompanies Hannah, who plans to reopen their sweet shop that has been boarded up since they fled from the plague.

Various adventures ensue, but the Great Fire of London is like nothing they've ever had to deal with before.

Full of fascinating historical content and well written, I'd highly recommend this book to both adults and children.

I'd also like to read the prequel, 'At the Sign of the Sugar Plum".

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Read, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
Having been asked to write a review for this book a while back,now I have an account I can finally give this book a mere amount of the justice and praise it deserves.
I'm an avid reader and came across this book by chance in my library and I have to say I fell in love with it.It's simplicity is beautiful yet it still manages to provoke an array of emotions especially concerning the main character and her circumstances.I have always loved London and how it is portrayed in the book makes me fall in love with it even more and I now desperately want to go back.This book has to be my favourite read and that is certainly a great achievement having read so many and of different genres.A lot of people say 'I couldn't put it down',but I mean it when I say I really couldn't,the inner conflict of the character alongside the romance that develops made me so emotional and in a state of nervous deposition,I think I read this book within two days,that has to be the fastest I have ever read a book and now I'm going to seek out other books from this author.I eagerly encourage you to read this book,it's magical,I grew such a fondness for the main character and her optimism to continue her delicate occupation whilst London is in such a predicament at the time.I certainly developed a taste for crystallised petals after having read this book.Having reflected on this book I think I may even have to return to the library,find it and re-read it.

Mary Hooper,this book is amazing,I thank you for such an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loses nothing of what was wonderful in the first book., 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
Petals in the Ashes continues Hannah's story immediately after At the Sign of the Sugared Plum ended. I was only going to read the first few pages and go to bed but it was gone midnight before that happened.
I had to finish the story.

Petals in the Ashes loses nothing of what was wonderful in the first book. Hannah and her sister return home but unlike her older sister Hannah misses London. As the plague continues to subside Hannah manages to convince her parents to let her return, taking her younger sister Anne with her.

Hannah's character grows a lot from the first book, now she is the responsible older sibling. Thankfully she doesn't lose any of her charm because of this. Both girls, particularly Hannah endure a lot of trails in this book and I would say that Petals in the Ashes has a more dramatic ending then the first story.

You don't have to read At the Sign of the Sugared Plum to appreciate this book but I think you'd love it even more if you did. As always there are little historical notes and treats at the end of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
This book is one of my favourites, ive read it nearly six times and each time it manages to grip me with its story line, interest me with its detail and intise me with its light romance.
When i first read the book i had know idea what it was about, i didnt even blurb until i finished it. The title was what wanted me to read it. The first couple of pages grabbed me straight away and then i couldnt put it down until i was 3/4 of the way through and had to do some coursework!
Ive read Petals in the Ashes, At the sign of a sugar plum and the fever and the flame and love them all. Although fever and the flame is both books combined, i always pick it up as if its a new book and read it again because the story is that good.
Thankyou Mary Hooper, you are a true writer with a talent :)

5.0 out of 5 stars petals in the ashes, 21 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
This is an absolutely amazing book!
i have read the prequel to this book : at the sign of the sugared plum and loved it, this book is even better. It carries on exactly where the prequel left off.
The book kept me hooked till the very last page, like all of mary hoopers books have and even had me wishing for it to be part of a trilogy as when you finish the book there are so many things that you wonder about. That shows just how good the book is.
If you have read at the sign of the sugared plum then you need to read petals in the ashes and if you haven't then you should read that one too because it is truly amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 22 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, after having read the authors book The Sign of the Sugared Plum which is based on the plague in London in 1665.

This book is based in London 1666 surrounding the events of The Great Fire of London.

Great books for older children and adults alike with enough historical information to catch your imagination without being too heavy going. Would definitely recommend this book. I don't usually leave reviews but these books have inspired me to do so.

Go on, give it a go!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Petals in the Ashes Book Review, 1 Oct. 2004
Mrs. D. Tomlinson "chloe" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
This book is the sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum. It's set in 17th Century London, and just after the bubonic Plague swept London. In this book, Hannah, a young girl, is caught in the great fire in 1666. It is a lovely book, and the decriptions are brilliant - how London bloomed again after the Plague. It is written in first person, and I think most people would enjoy this book - particularly girls aged between 10 and 15. Please read this fabulously written book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Petals in the Ashes Book Review, 3 Oct. 2004
Mrs. D. Tomlinson "chloe" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
Petals in the ashes is the sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum. Hannah, a young girl, returns to London to see it blooming again, after it was hit by the Plague. However, it is 1666 and the tragedy of the 'Great Fire of London' is about to occur...
I absolutely adored this book - I think most people would enjoy it, particularly girls aged 10-15.
By Chloe (I emailed Mary Hooper!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Petals in the Ashes
Petals in the Ashes by Mary Hooper (Paperback - 5 July 2004)