‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum., 20 Jan 2005
Rebecca Herman (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
Teenaged Hannah and her older sister Sarah barely managed to escape London alive during the great plague of 1665. Now a year has passed, and the plague has finally died out. Hannah wants to return to London to reopen their sweets shop, but Sarah wishes to remain at the family home in the countryside. So when Hannah returns to the city, she is accompanied by her younger sister, Anne. However, her life is once again interrupted when fire begins to spread through London. Can Hannah find the strength to survive yet another terrible calamity?
I highly recommend this book to all readers who enjoyed the first book about Hannah, "At the Sign of the Sugared Plum." I also recommend it to new readers who enjoy historical fiction and are interested in this time period. Hannah is a wonderful character, and her struggle for survival is riveting. I hope Mary Hooper writes another book about Hannah's adventures, as I would love to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Petals in the Ashes, 27 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, its full of excitement and interesting things that all happen around the time of the Great Fire of London. This book has a little bit of romance, and facts about the Great Fire and the plague. It would appeal to girls around 11 upwards, but other girls would love it too. I would highly recommend this thrilling book. I hope you enjoy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent historical fiction., 23 April 2006
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
This book is classed as 'Young Adult' and I am definately an 'Old Adult'! However, since helping in my daughter's school library I have discovered some excellent teenage historical fiction.

I had read Geraldine Brooks's "Year of Wonders" which is also centred around the plague and I highly recommend this to older teens (it is adult historical fiction).

I thoroughly enjoyed "Petals in the Ashes" which starts in London with the plague in full swing.

Hannah and her sister Sarah are lucky to be able to leave the town sponsored by a wealthy family who ask them to take their baby to safety in Dorchester.

On their arrival they are horrified to find that they have to stay for a month in a squalid, stinking "pesthouse".

Once they are released there follows a limbo period where they are cared for by the baby's aunt, but are not really part of the household.

As soon as the threat from the plague is considered sufficiently reduced, they return to their parents in the countryside.

Money is tight and Hannah is keen to return to London where her sweetheart may still be alive.

Sarah stays to help her mother who is due to deliver in a couple of months, so Anne, the next youngest sister accompanies Hannah, who plans to reopen their sweet shop that has been boarded up since they fled from the plague.

Various adventures ensue, but the Great Fire of London is like nothing they've ever had to deal with before.

Full of fascinating historical content and well written, I'd highly recommend this book to both adults and children.

I'd also like to read the prequel, 'At the Sign of the Sugar Plum".

5.0 out of 5 stars Petals in the Ashes Book Review, 1 Oct 2004
Mrs. D. Tomlinson "chloe" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
This book is the sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum. It's set in 17th Century London, and just after the bubonic Plague swept London. In this book, Hannah, a young girl, is caught in the great fire in 1666. It is a lovely book, and the decriptions are brilliant - how London bloomed again after the Plague. It is written in first person, and I think most people would enjoy this book - particularly girls aged between 10 and 15. Please read this fabulously written book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Petals in the Ashes Book Review, 3 Oct 2004
Mrs. D. Tomlinson "chloe" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
Petals in the ashes is the sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum. Hannah, a young girl, returns to London to see it blooming again, after it was hit by the Plague. However, it is 1666 and the tragedy of the 'Great Fire of London' is about to occur...
I absolutely adored this book - I think most people would enjoy it, particularly girls aged 10-15.
By Chloe (I emailed Mary Hooper!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Petals in the Ashes (Paperback)
Would recommend this product to anyone who has enjoyed other Mary Hooper novels as it is an excellent sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum. It's set in London at the time of the Great Fire of London and features a young girl called Hannah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sequel, 11 Dec 2013
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is the sequel to the author's gripping story set during the Great Plague. Hannah returns to London after the plague has subsided only to be caught up in the Great Fire. The descriptions of the confusion, mayhem and devastation caused by the fire are told in fairly simple but vivid language, drawing on Pepys and other contemporary sources for anecdotes about individuals' behaviour and phenomena like the attempts by some Londoners to scapegoat their French, Dutch or Catholic neighbours for the inferno. A good follow up novel, though perhaps not quite as taut a piece of writing as its predecessor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 Sep 2013
I loved this book. I recommend you reading the first book in the series "At the Sign of the Sugared Plum" to understand the characters but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book for Mary Hooper brought all senses to life in The Fire of London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't let go, 21 Jun 2013
A few years ago I read the first part of this mini series and found it gripping throughout every page,and 3 years on I typed it in on Amazon only to find that there was a second follow on,and with each turn of the page I was placed in London in 1666 and with the writings creativity I almost felt the heat of the flames th only downside is that this is the final book in the series..

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 Jun 2013
As a teenage girl, I don't read a lot. But I couldn't put this book down. After reading "At the sign of the sugared plum" I had to read this book to know what happens.
The first pages are not that interesting but once you get into it. It's like you are there. I highly recommend this book to teenagers and above. It also tell you about the history of London. If only they teach you like that for year 9 course work

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Petals in the Ashes
Petals in the Ashes by Mary Hooper (Paperback - 5 July 2004)