5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and intelligent text
Published on 8 May 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
Not my thing or not the right time for me to read it. There were bits of this story that I really enjoyed but more bits that I just couldn't get my head around. I didn't finish it but I'm not sure if it was the book or just that when I had chosen to read it I was really busy and couldn't give it my full attention.
Published 4 months ago by Victoria Jeffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and intelligent text, 8 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
Fascinating, intelligent and entertaining. These are just some of the conclusions that I have come to in the year since I first read Poor Things. Is Baxter a man or a creation himself?Why does he have such bizarre eating habits? Similarly, is Bella quite the woman she believes herself to be? What happened to her daughter? Why can she not write using vowels? How does she learn to relate to the world around her? This is a very clever re-write of Shelly's Frankenstein, itself a text that is very concerned with issues of language and how we aquire it.That, however, is not all it is. It's also a really good romp around such key areas of examination such as class divide,feminist issues and Empire in the Victorian world of the Industrial Revolution .You be the detective sifting through the authors 'found' collection of journals and letters ( a classic Victorian writing device). Enjoy the artwork and take time afterwards to ponder what you have read. How can you ignore a novel in which the main female character (Bella) turns a noted philanderer into a Bible-bashing lunatic as a result of her insatiable nymphomania? I'm still thinking about what I've read and that doesn't happen often with me. A modern classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, cheeky and poignant, 28 Sep 2011
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
This is a kooky story, told with warmth and charm. Gray's imagination is never less than fecund and highly flavoured, his characters are so real you can smell them. Another reviewer mentioned that there's a distinct flavour of Scot, but it doesn't get in the way of the text so don't let it put you off. He reminds me of Anthony Burgess in terms of his sense of fun, confidence and style, and the way he will make a story into something original and lovely of his own. Enjoy the ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor Things, 11 April 2011
JoanA "JA" (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
This book is totally different to what I normally read but having picked it up and read a few pages in an office I had to keep reading. Poor Things

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
Lovable characters, intriguing plot, unusual topic - what else do you want for a good read? One of the very few recent uni reads I have actually really enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable fictional novel in hardback volume of impressive quality with good, humorous illustrations, 13 April 2013
Alasdair N Sharp (Clydebank, Unite Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poor Things (Hardcover)
Very well written political novel , with lots of intertexual references to other Scottish novels, history & culture ; wrapped up in a reasonable ,but deliberately derivative, plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had to keep reading., 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
This is a strange little book. Bizarre characters and an even more bizarre plotline, would on most occasions be a big turnoff for me. Yet I found myself unable to put this book down, and a month after first reading it I found myself reading it again!
Quirky Characters, and a certain depth of feeling, combine to instill within the reader a certain warmth. I honestly can't put my finger on it as to why I enjoyed 'poor things' quite as much as I did? But it is certainly a book I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, titillating and impressive, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
Behind a front of Victorian correctness is a book of abandon and excess, both in its content and its style. Gray concocts a story that holds the attention (nearly) all the way , then repeatedly undermines his own narrative and forces you to re-evaluate it several times. Even after several reads there are still questions in my mind. Is Godwin himself a "surgical fabrication"? Does Godwin create Bella to be his own bride? Is all that careful, liberal education just part of the grooming process that will make him acceptable to her? And what about the seemingly innocuous Mrs Dinwiddie hovering in the background? What role did/does she play in Sir Colin's bizarre experiments?

Fascinating - and if you don't like it you'll soon know.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars A RELATIVELY CHALLENGING NOVEL, BUT QUIRKY AND ENTERTAINING, 5 Jan 2011
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
unusual book. Interesting and informative, albeit silly at times. Would be surprised if the author had not been influenced by Sterne's Tristram Shandy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality writing, exceptional visual presentation, 14 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Poor Things (Paperback)
As usual with Gray, the design is superlative.

Poor Things
Poor Things by Alasdair Gray (Paperback - 4 Nov 2002)