5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for all ages
I love Stephen Fry's reading of this book. Although it is typically recommended for 9 years and up, my daughter, who is just five, is already hooked. Fry's clear reading makes the story easy to follow even for younger listeners.
Published on 22 May 2001 by julia@classicbadges.com

3.0 out of 5 stars bent
I love the book but part of it is bent and has affected each page. Is there anything you can do?
Published 11 months ago by jem

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for all ages, 22 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly written piece of fantasy, 6 Dec 1998
By A Customer
I bought Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in a bookshop to read to my two sons (7 and 9), and they were enthralled; my wife could hardly believe her eyes when she interrupted the showdown at the finish and discovered them both sitting bolt upright holding their breath! When we found the Chamber of Secrets in the local library we had to get it out immediately. I found it even better than the first, to the extent that I could not wait to read it at bedtime before finishing it. To my mind it is better paced than the Philosopher's Stone, which I felt was a bit slow in setting up the really exciting bit; the Chamber of Secrets starts to hot up about half way through in a well-judged crescendo. But it is even better at developing the characters, including the ever so vital Hermione, who gets a bit more get-up-and-go just when it's needed. This is not a great children's book; it's just a great book. When the paperback is out, we'll be getting a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fry shoots, he scores!, 4 Jun 2000
By A Customer
I have read all three books and was astounded by the amazing storyline! I have listened to the tapes and in doing so have come to the conclusion that Stephen Fry should be the narrator for all the books. His use of voices for all the different characters alone is enough to keep anyone interested, but combined with J.K Rowling's amazing suspense filled storyline, it is a tape to die for. I just can't wait till the next book comes out on tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I alone In thinking this Is the best In the lot?, 21 July 2000
By A Customer
I read this book in 4 days, which I realise Is quite a long time compared to readers (I just can't scan books like most people) When you read this book you realise the the first book In the series "The Phillosophers Stone" was just an introduction and nothing more. "The Chamber of Secrets" develops the characters more and the story has more twists and turns than the first, I also felt this even more of a page turner, It still has the same mysterious type of plot, but the ending Is such a novelty because Harry actually comes face to face with "You know who" I know that most people recognise the third installment as the best (not yet counting the 4th) but I felt In the "Prisoner of Azkaban" the characters just didn't bite as much biscuit. But this certainly didn't put me off and I'm just starting to read the fourth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without doubt, the best book I've ever read!, 26 May 1999
By A Customer
With 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets', J.K.Rowling has grabbed attention from other, more classical-type authors. In this, the 2nd in a series of books which is rapidly expanding in popularity, Harry Potter once again returns to Hogwarts.
At a dinner party of Uncle Vernon's, Harry supposedly throws a huge cake over the kitchen. Harry is then locked in his room, until one night, he and his faithful companion Hedwig are rescued by Ron Weasley and his flying car.
Back in Ron's house(The Burrow), Harry has the best four weeks of his life. He practices Quidditch, spends time with the Weasley family, and although a disasterous journey by Floo powder takes him anywhere but Diagon Alley, enjoys himself more than ever.
In Hogwarts, things run normally. Snape is his nasty self, McGonagall her strict self, and Hermione Granger, best friend of Harry and Ron, her cheerful and caring self(most of the time, anyway).
But then things become very different. Harry begins to hear the voice. The voice from nowhere that nobody can explain. That even Professor Lockhart, famous as much for his smile as for his magic, finds mysterious.
And then it happens. Colin Creevey, a first year escapes with his life, but he is turned to stone. As is Mrs Norris, a third year girl, and... Hermione.
Who is this turning people to stone? Why? How? Could it be Malfoy? Snape? Crabbe or Goyle? No-one has a clue. And the real question is-who will be next on the list...
This book is full of laughs, and also full of surprises. I strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading, and enjoys a laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 16 Jan 2000
By A Customer
I've read all the Harry Potter books that have been released, and I truly loved them. I read them all out loud to my younger sister, and I must say they are amazing books. I like the third book the most, then the first book, and at last the second book. But that doesn't mean I don't like it. Oh no, I love Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets very much. The plot is extremely cool, and I was second guessing the whole time I read it. I know I will read all these books again. And I think it is extraordinary that the author managed to write such a good sequel!! That doesn't happen a lot! Go J. K. Rowling. I really can't wait for the forth release!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun!, 14 Nov 2005
Nadia "Fleet UK" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I fell in love with this series and I’ve listened to the audio books more times than I could possibly count. I wore out the tapes and moved on to CDs.
Stephen Fry is with out a doubt the best narrator I have ever heard, and has won awards for more than one of his Harry Potter readings. He distinguishes between the character’s voices so well, that it really could be an entire cast performance. I find myself smiling in recognition of a character’s voice even before he says whose speaking.
The first two books were the most light-hearted of the series, and there are some truly classic moments in this book. The flying car sequence is excellent, Harry’s valentine had me laughing so much I had to stop the book, and Lockheart is just fantastic. It was equally gripping as Philosopher’s stone. I think the scene in the chamber of secrets is one of the best written sequences in the series. But this book also has a darker side too. I remember the shiver down my spine as I first heard the chilling voice of the Basilisk. I thought the series got better with every book, though I adore them all, but from here onwards, the series becomes a much more complex, deeper and many layered story, so enjoy the fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the CD - Brilliantly read, 4 Jun 2007
Stephe Fry's narration is far and away the best that I have listened to over many years of enjoying audio books. Each and every character has their own distinctive and perfectly-judged voice, so that you know instantly who is speaking before the name is given. This makes it so much easier to simply enjoy the wonderful story without being distracted by confusion as to who is saying what, as so often happens with other narrators. We bought all of the other Harry Potter CDs, and they have all been great. I recommend listening to these stories whilst curled up on the sofa on a Winter's evening over any T.V program that I can think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh and listen to the loveable, looney Lockhart!, 29 Oct 2003
Not only does Steven Fry do this ostentatious story justice but also the character Lockhart is the most hilarious thing on audio CD! Phrases like: 'Harry, Harry, Harry', and 'Fame is a fickle friend', gave us hours of tumultuous hysterics. This story is for all ages and despite not being the best of the novels, it is the epitome of family fun, and if you can only buy one set of CDs/tapes this should be the one. J. K. Rowling mixes wit, an intoxicating plot, vivid description and a fascinating culture into an unforgettable experience. This is the ultimate 'must-have' of the audio CD world. Stephen, you have created a masterpiece out of a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Praise This Excellent Recording Highly Enough, 12 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Stephen Fry's superb readings of the Harry Potter novels have already become contemporary classics: they are far too good to be left for children only. I am delighted that they have been re-issued on cd, as the cassette medium is all-too-fragile and many repeated plays leave the cassettes in an all-too-worn state. CDs are much more durable. And believe me, though these recordings are expensive, they are well worth the money as they will be played over and over again.
Stephen Fry is a highly talented comedian and actor with a very wide range. Without seeming to try too hard, he gives each of Rowling's characters their own voice, which is necessary in a reading of this sort, but the voices he uses are so cleverly chosen and executed that they do far more than merely help us distinguish one character from another. By assigning each character a specific accent he places them in the Great British Class Battleground and with his excellent sense of timing and nuance he accentuates Rowling's satires with his own sly wit. I actually prefer Fry's readings of the Harry Potter novels to the novels themselves, as Fry adds a whole new dimension to the books, grounding them firmly in the debates (squabbles?) of modern British life. An especial joy in his reading of Chamber Of Secrets is his interpretation of the ghastly Gilderoy Lockhart, who becomes almost frighteningly alive and believeable in Fry's hands. I would not be at all surprised to find the Loathsome Lockhart popping up on Start The Week! He'd fit right in...

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2): Celebratory Edition
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2): Celebratory Edition by J. K. Rowling (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Oct 2002)
5.24