5.0 out of 5 stars stuffed - definately worth reading, 29 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Stuffed: Growing Up in a Restaurant Family (Paperback)
This book caught my eye while browsing, purely because of its front cover. After proceeding to buy it and then begin to read it I was pleasantly surprised to find myself transported back to, as the blurb says "a lost era". Volk writes in such an interesting and capturing way which is really refreshing to read. She is exploring her own growing up...what happens to her and her family, everything being connected to food. It was the family's livelihood and passion. I enjoyed reading the book so much that I have since bought it for friends as presents. It is a real insight into life in a Jewish New York family and at the same time a touching story full of personality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuffed is a book to make your mouth water, 24 Nov 2003
VLH "VLH" (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Finding myself, as usual, browsing through the cookbooks I just picked this up one lunchtime and couldn't put it down.
It combines some of my favourite types of book, autobiography, cooking and travel.
It tells the story of the author's family and the restaurants of New York in such a fascinating way that you are gripped by the tales of the writer's family.
Brilliant.

Stuffed: Growing Up in a Restaurant Family
Stuffed: Growing Up in a Restaurant Family by Patricia Volk (Paperback - 7 April 2003)