4.0 out of 5 stars HAWKE HAS HEART!
Umming and aahing over whether to buy this book for weeks eventually brought me to the affirmative 'yes' conclusion, and after reading it, I can safely say that it is very good. Not brilliant, but very good.
Published on 6 Sep 2003 by tomkatz4

1.0 out of 5 stars utterly useless
On many levels, this book has failed to either entertain my mind or stimulate my intellectual taste buds. I found myself entirely disengaged with not only every concept which Hawke attempted to write articulately about, but with every stylistic method.
In three words: rubbish, uninteresting, not-worth-reading.
Don't waste your money on such drivel.
Published on 21 Feb 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars HAWKE HAS HEART!, 6 Sep 2003
This review is from: Ash Wednesday (Paperback)
The book revolves around the turbulent relationship of Jimmy Heartsock and Christy Walker, and each chapter alternates between the two main characters narrating. Confusing at times, but you'll keep on top of it.
Christy is a down-to-earth girl, a worrier, looking for a stable relationship and a stable home. Jimmy on the other hand starts off as an idealist, a dreamer - a dreamer with a temper.
Hawke's writing as both genders should appeal to both men and women. Reading something in Jimmy's perspective you'd agree with it, but in the next chapter with Christy narrating, you'd think 'yeah, she has a point!'
I won't give the story away too much, but let's just say that the lovers are unforgettable, and you'll get swept away on this emotional roolercoaster ride. Not for the faint hearted - there are a few steamy scenes - but for those who love to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that Jesse might have written, 17 Nov 2014
This review is from: Ash Wednesday (Paperback)
This is a fantastic, thoughtful, and insightful read about some not so likeable characters. That is not to say that it is impossible to like Jimmy, Chrissy, or their love story of a road trip as they cross America – just that you can see all to well how easy it would be for either of them to find reasons to dislike the other. In that I guess its all too much life. Which is why, although I wouldn’t want to be Jimmy, its also a really good read.This is Ethan Hawke’s second novel. More commonly known as an actor who found fame in Dead Poets Society and his role in Richard Linklater’s Before Sunrise and it’s two sequels, which he also co-wrote – it is this last fact which is why I came to read Ash Wednesday.

In the Before Sunrise films, Hawke plays Jesse, a writer, and I felt greatly that this book could easily have been one of Jesse’s books with the way that he observes quite candidly the every day life of ordinary people. I’ll definitely be seeking out his first novel to read and any more that he comes out with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Without a doubt...., 21 July 2003
A. CARTER "lovebeingamommy" (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ash Wednesday (Paperback)
Without a doubt this book surprised me. I bought it thinking I might have made a mistake taking a chance on a Hollywood actor to actually have some brains. (Sorry Ethan) But I cannot believe that I was completely shown up. His writing is wonderful, insightful, humourous, etc. He is descriptive and has a great story to write about. I reccommend this book for many reasons. I enjoyed it, all of it. Although it is from a US writer, Brits should find it very easy going. I am American and am proud to have bought the book in the UK and claim it as a successful American writer, Ethan Hawke. I think your acting is good Ethan, but I am looking forward to more of your books about more subjects and not so much your acting now. That is a compliment. Take a chance on it, it will be a good choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!!, 30 July 2003
This review is from: Ash Wednesday (Paperback)
Ethan Hawke has come along way since his first novel
'The Hottest State' which I did enjoy but I just loved
'Ash Wednesday'- funny and really sweet!
I liked the way each chapter was from each of the two main charaters point of view, it kinda overlapped so you read about something twice but from the two different propectives!
I don'nt want to give anything away about this novel except that its wonderful, refreshing and very quirky -READ IT!!
Would love to see 'Ash Wednesday' on the big screen I think it would make a great movie- starring the man himself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Because love ain't always perfect..., 12 Jun 2006
Jimmy is far from perfect, but he now knows that Christy, who he'd recently split up with, is perfect for him and that he's ready to commit to her.

What he doesn't know is that Christy is carrying Jimmy's baby, and that she's not going to let him back into her life that easily.

As they travel across America, Jimmy tries to show Christy that he loves her and how far he's willing to go for them to be a family.

Hawke seems to really care for his characters: he represents them honestly, but without being critical or judgmental of them, and that made the characters really come alive for me. All in all, a touching read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ash Wednesday, 9 July 2003
This review is from: Ash Wednesday (Paperback)
I think Ethan Hawke has come along way since his first novel
'The Hottest State' published in 1996/7.
I just loved Ash wednesday it was funny and really sweet. I liked the way each chapter was told from each of the two main characters point of view, it kinda over lapped so you would read about something twice but from the two different prospectives.
I don'nt want to give anything away about this novel except that it's wonderful, refreshing and very quirky-READ IT!!
I would love to see it made into a film- starring the man himself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A look at the reality of love, 3 Aug 2007
This is a beautifully written book which, despite the bad language, is poetic in parts. It is a painful look at the realities of love and doesn't pull any punches while it tries to dispense of the notion of 'happy ever after.' Without spoiling the ending, it isn't all doom and gloom - there is real laugh-out-loud humour along the way and enough hope in the final chapters to make sure you won't give up on romance forever. A must read for anyone about to get married.

5.0 out of 5 stars EVER EXCELLENT ETHAN, 6 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Ash Wednesday (Paperback)
Ethan Hawke proved himself an actor a long time ago and he's done it as a writer also. A superb, enchanting book, which shows intelligence that a lot of authors lack. There was true emotion, a clear view that Hawke enjoyed writing this and well, the ending ... priceless. Definately a book to borrow or buy BUT KEEP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read, 19 May 2009
Like this more than Hottest State. So easy to read. Provides an interesting insight into a male perspective of relationships. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ash Wednesday - an excellent read, 27 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Ash Wednesday (Paperback)
I read this book a couple of months ago, and i loved it.
I loved the way it is written from two points of views, so you can clearly understand what Jimmy and Christy are unsecure about and what they love about each other.
I think that Ethan Hawke is brilliant author as well as an actor and this book did not disappoint me one bit.

Ash Wednesday
Ash Wednesday by Ethan Hawke (Paperback - 2 Jun 2003)