1,627 Reviews
 (1,377)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't remember enjoying any book more
I laughed at my adult son when I found him reading Harry Potter. He said "don't knock it until you've tried it" and gave me the Philosopher's Stone for Christmas. I am now addicted and have bought and read them all.I am an avid reader of all types of literature but these are something else!
Published on 1 July 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars The films are better and too much description!!!
kinda boring. The book has too much information and spoils it. other than that, pretty good. I think the films are better definitely this one!!!
Published 2 months ago by Arly23

‹ Previous | 1148 149 150163 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not for Adults, 11 Dec 2006
I was recently convinced to read this by an ecstatic friend. This book is a good read but it's certainly overhyped. Although it passed the time i really don't know what all the fuss is about.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 Mar 2005
Mrs. P. A. Allen "warrantypat" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
excellent start - sets the tone for the following books each release date i have booked the working day off work and have read each book cover to cover uninterrupted

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it does equal the hype., 16 Jan 2005
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
THE STORY:
Young Harry Potter is whisked away from his miserable life with his aunt and uncle by the discovery that he is a wizard. Harry begins learning at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but his studies are interrupted when he and his friends Ron and Hermione discover a plot to steal the powerful Philosopher's Stone.
WHAT'S GOOD:
Right, let's make this clear. I have been for many years now a confirmed and staunch Potter-phobe, turning my nose up at the mere mention of the character. However, last week curiosity overcame me at last and I decided to read this book, if only to gain ammunition for my scorn. I was shocked to discover that the book is a delightfull fun read, in which Rowling makes a superb job of giving both mystery and uncanniness to the world of Hogwarts. So to other Potter-phobes I'd say 'read it, but just don't tell anyone you did' and to everyone else, well, you know how good it is already. I particularly like this edition of the book as it does away with the garish colours of the children's volume and replaces them with a darker more subtle cover which echoes what adults will most enjoy about the book.
WHAT'S BAD:
Naturally, being a children's book, the story is at times childish. There are also several notable plot holes, but I don't feel like going into them just now. Also some of Rowling's names annoyed me. I mean, what are the chances of being given a name that just happens to suggest your character when you finally become an adult? (Severus Snape is a hissing, sibilant sort of name that suggests a snake-like character and Albus Dumbledore is a big cuddly, friendly sort of name - and don't even get me started on 'Hufflepuff').

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 Aug 2004
By A Customer
Harry Potter is a wonderful book, 11 year old Harry Potter has spent ten long years with his wicked relatives the Dursleys, after his parents were murdered.Little did he know that he would soon be off to Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry
to thwart the evil wizard that killed his parents. this is a gripping tale that will hook you from start to finish i recommend this book to everyone who likes magic, hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry potter is brilliant, 31 Mar 2004
casey minchella (plymouth,England) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter is the best book I have ever read. My favourite character is Hermione Granger because she is very funny. My worst character is Snape as he is pure evil.I couldn't put the book down it was very gripping. I have read all of the books in the series and this is definatly my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is where the magic begins..., 21 Aug 2003
To anyone to hasn't experienced the pleasure of reading a Harry Potter book - stop being a sceptic and go straight away to your nearest store and buy this. It's about a kid, yes, it's a little far-fetched, but hey, who cares? This is what literature should be.
The brilliance of this is that you won't have read anything like it before, and when you've finished it (I give it three days) you'll want more. And quite rightly so. Rowling's expertise and imagination is put to full use here, and keeps us engrossed, hanging on to every word.
Worth every penny (and probably more).

5.0 out of 5 stars My students were mesmerised!, 4 April 2003
By A Customer
As a lover of literature, I was not convinced that I would enjoy a children's novel, but as a teacher I knew how much children loved it.
I took the plunge and read the book alongside my class of (hard to please) Year 7 boys. I have never witnessed children enjoy reading as much as I have during the past few weeks. The students have been absolutely mesmerised by the writings of JK Rowling, and I must admit that I, too have been converted.
If you are a teacher or a parent, take the plunge - I promise you it's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book for all ages., 15 Dec 2001
By A Customer
Recently after the arrival of the harry potter movie i decided to read one of the books as everyone had told me how wonderful they were.
I often find the novel alot better that the motion picture so i decided to read the book before seeing the movie of harry potter.
i bought a paper back simple version of harry potter and the philosiphers stone,the first chapter was slightly confusing but by the third chapter i was hooked reading at least 50 pages a night.
The story is really well developed and planned a point which makes the book good for younger readers.
The most intreging thing through-out the story is the philosiphers stone which at most points of the book is not even considered or thought about.
But if you are good at solving mysteries you soon realise where it comes into the story line and also realise it was there all along.
The book is a wonderful story for all ages i am a 15 year old student and loved it! I also know many older and younger readers agree the book is great and after you read the first one you will just have to go out and buy the second one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 22 Oct 2001
By A Customer
Reading Harry Porter has taken me back to my childhood when Dahl and Blyton were the must reads. Everyone who's anyone would love the story of the young wizards and witches learning about their craft. The characters jump off the page, and you can almost see Harry flying around on his broomstick. This is a must read, can't put it down book, that moves so quickly the last page comes way too quick and the next volume's too far away to grab! Well done Joanne Rowling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter appeals to ALL ages - a publishing phenomenon !, 19 Jan 2000
Michele Fry (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
As a 31 year old English student I got to read some very tedious books last year (I compared Richardson's "Pamela" to meeting a Dementor !!) but Harry Potter more than made up for them. I have recommended him to children of all ages, their parents, my tutors (!) and anyone else I could get to listen to my excited ravings !
I am preparing for a Russian history exam and have just re-read the first three stories as light relief from the revision - they are a TERRIFIC antidote to exam nerves as I discovered last year when I bought this first volume two days before taking my exams...
All I can say is that July 8 seems a LONG, LONG time away...

‹ Previous | 1148 149 150163 | Next ›

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Paperback - 8 Oct 2001)
3.85