4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 15 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Key To My Neighbours House (Paperback)
This is a challenging yet gripping read. The author deals with difficult subject matter with sensitivity and honesty.
The book switches between the case of Bosnia and Rwanda, drawing parrallels as it goes. This book while dealing with lots of information is not boring. Instead, Neuffer weaves in the stories of individuals, which allows the reader to see the human reality behind the two tragedies.
I don't know much about the politics behind the UN and NATO, but this book helps with both the theory and the reality of the work of both institutions. Again, the institutions aren't treated as a mass of facts but brought to life through the stories of the real people involved.
Sometimes I wished that Neuffer would just openly criticise an event instead of tip toeing around the issue. However, I think this is the beauty of the book, neuffer doeas not manipulate the reader into agreeing with her point of view, but rather gives a balanced account.
This book is touchingly humane, a pleasure to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent, well researched and sobering account, 9 April 2007
KareNina (Bratislava, Slovakia) - See all my reviews
Readers who hope to find out why the Bosnian and Rwandan atrocities happened and what their prelude was, will not find what they are looking for in 'The Key to My Neighbours's House'. Elizabeth Neuffers starts her work with the observation of two countries already war-torn, at the moment of exhumations of mass-graves and establishment of international war crimes tribunals.

The question she is out to answer is how do two people close enough to hold the key to eachother's house, end up engaging in a ghastly campaign to exterminate the other, and how do they then handle coexistence when reunited on the same soil.

This book is a deeply personal account of individual's search of justice, their struggle to resume life after the genocide, and their attempts to come to terms with the past. Through these portraits Neuffer addresses the collective conscience of those who could help but didn't: the grotesque failure of the United Nations, the inexcusable ignorance of European governments, the indifference of the international community who stood by doing too little too late to prevent this genocidal warfare in Rwanda and Yugoslavia.

'The Key to My Neighbour's House' is an impressive work of journalism that provokes the right questions. How could it have come this far, and how many times will we say 'never again'?

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 14 April 2010
S. J. Jackson "sj" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Key To My Neighbours House (Paperback)
This is, surprisingly, one of my favourite books ever. I picked it up nonchalantly in my university's library, thinking it might help with an essay I was writing. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down.

The author, Neuffer, daringly tracks down the people she believes responsible for the Rwandan and Bosnian genocides. Besides this, she tells you all about the causes of the conflicts, contextualising them in terms of politics and history within the countries. There are various real life 'case studies' within the book, where she has gotten to know people and recounted their stories. All in all, it is a very insightful, informative and emotive read, which I highly recommend!

The Key To My Neighbours House
The Key To My Neighbours House by Elizabeth Neuffer (Paperback - 3 Mar. 2003)