on 25 September 2010
I was given a copy of this book several years ago and use it all the time. I find the layout invaluable when coping with gluts of particular vegetables from the garden. A firm favourite is the macaroni cheese with layers of fried golden onions. I bought this copy as a gift for a vegetarian friend - recommendation enough I think.
on 4 April 2011
This book gives you tons of vegetarian recipes, and they are all great! There are 1000 recipes to choose from, and all the recipes that I tried out so far have turned out so tasty. Finally,I love how well organized the book is, and I would recommend the book to anyone.
on 5 December 2014
Mysteriously despite ordering Leith's Vegetarian Bible I received Leith's Vegetable Bible (which apparently is the most recent one) ..... as it's a present, I hope my friend does not mind....
on 4 December 2015
this is a superb book with a wide range of recipes and tips,this is on the whole a step above simple cooking has a great rice,pulses section i,m keen on the various dhals and pates
VINE VOICEon 6 April 2009
I can't believe i've not reviewed this before now. I've had this book for well over one year now, and I have to say I use it nearly every day - about 6 days a week. I find all the ingredients easy to come by, I keep my store cupboard well stocked with lentils, coconut milk, and tins of beans, so can usually rustle up something from the book on day 7.

I find the recipes ideally sized when halved for two (remember: portion control), some are a bit high on the calorie scale for me, but you can always make ingredient substitutions. I have to say I have not liked the handful of pasta accompaniments, finding them too bland. But for curries, stews and salads, I'm never short of finding stuff to cook for our evening meal.

I thoroughly recommend this book for someone, like me, who never knows what to cook, and who plans a weekly menu in advance.
on 26 August 2014
For 2nd hand this book was in perfect condition Price too very good
on 3 January 2010
This book is well laid out, with recipes grouped according to their main ingredient, and the recipes are also carefully indexed, so it is easy to find what you are looking for.

However, for a book that bills itself as a bible of cooking, the range of recipes are not comprehensive enough. I received the book as a birthday gift and looked forward to finding a way to use the tempeh and pea shoots that I had bought the day before, but these ingredients were not mentioned. The recipes I tried were edible but needed enhancing to turn them into something really tasty. For example, the cauliflower dal curry was much nicer when balanced with natural yoghurt and sugar.

The other thing I didn't like was that the few pictures that there are are horrible, looking very much as though they have been recycled from one of the seventies cook books on my mum's kitchen shelf. It would improve future editions of the book to either remove the pictures or have them re-taken.

All in all, this book does not come across as a labour of love on the part of the authors and it did not inspire me to continue to use it. Maybe it is alright if you are new to vegetarianism, or want a book of vegetable accompaniments for your meat or fish. I would recommend a more concise book written by authors who actually are vegetarian and have true passion for the food that they create.
on 26 October 2014
Fabulous book
on 8 June 2016
as expected
on 30 March 2004
I have to disagree with the other reviewers. I don't like the book. Far to fancy and loads of recipes that one won't find the ingredients for (were do you buy sorrel?). OK, some recipes are nice and lovely, however I would say that more than half of them are cooked once and then never again.