5.0 out of 5 stars The only recipe book I ever use
I rarely look at any of my other recipe books thanks to Leiths.

This book is a big part of the reason I no longer have the need to eat meat. Perhaps a useful tool for convincing a carnivore that vegetarian food can be filling, nutritious and as tasty as meat if not more so.

I don't think there is a single bad recipe in here. Many recipes sound...
Published on 30 Aug. 2006 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressed
This book is well laid out, with recipes grouped according to their main ingredient, and the recipes are also carefully indexed, so it is easy to find what you are looking for.

However, for a book that bills itself as a bible of cooking, the range of recipes are not comprehensive enough. I received the book as a birthday gift and looked forward to finding a way...
Published on 3 Jan. 2010 by Died and gone to Devon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The only recipe book I ever use, 30 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
I rarely look at any of my other recipe books thanks to Leiths.

I don't think there is a single bad recipe in here. Many recipes sound unappetising but always come out delicious. After a while you learn to put all your faith in the Bible.

My copy is falling apart and covered in stains. Its been used 7 days a week for the last two years.

We've cooked hundreds of things from this book, every one a winner. Maybe it does seem 'fussy' to those that don't cook so much. But then, what else is there to do in life other than eat, drink and maintain good company?

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential vegetarian cookery book!, 19 Dec. 2006
Viva España (Andalucía, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
As a confirmed carnivore living with a very strict vegetarian I have amassed quite a selection of vegetarian cookery books. A major problem for us is that, living in Spain, we don't have easy access to vegetarian cheese, and most vegetarian cookery books seem to concentrate most recipes around it! Not so with this one, which really does focus on the vegetables and lovely herbs and spices.

This book truly has become my bible. I have so far tried about 15 of the recipes and each dish has been outstanding, sadly due to the quality of the recipe rather than my culinary skills! The recipes are very clear and easy to follow and the cooking times are spot on, even in my unpredictable old gas oven.

Disregard the fact there are not many photographs in the book, after you realise how delicious the end results are you'll be glad the pages contain more recipes instead! A fabulous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Wonderful Book, 25 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
Leith's Vegetarian Bible is an excellent book containing wonderful recipes with tastes from all over the world. The layout of the book makes it very easy to use, as it is divided into sections such as "Roots and Tubers", "Pods and Beans" and "Squash".The use of these sections means that the reader can easily find a recipe for the ingredients in store instead of hunting the many sections for a dish to fit the ingredients.The amalgam of interesting foodstuff, most of which are readily available at a local supermarket, make the reader desperate to try them out. The method of preparation is clear and helpful and it also contains hints on general cooking methods.
The index is very much easier to use than Delia's Vegetarian Cookery where I lost a recipe and eventually found it by looking up a minor ingredient. The index of Leith's Book is aided by main ingredients being emphasised in bold type.
The description as a bible fits perfectly

5.0 out of 5 stars Contains every ingredient under the sun, 28 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
I hate those cookery books where the index is arranged according to the first ingredient of a recipe... you know, "rocket and tomato bake with goat's cheese topping," and you don't find mention of tomato or goat's cheese under their respective letters. Well, the index of this huge book is fantastic, arranged according to every ingredient used in every recipe, so whether you're looking under rocket, tomato or goat's cheese, you will find your recipe or an idea for an ingredient in a flash.
Another fantastic aspect of this book is the amazing variety of ingredients, and the division of chapters according to foods rather than your traditional starter, main meal, salad and dessert categories. The scope of ingredients used is very wide, from asparagus to zuchinni, and it has motivated me to use so many ingredients I had never used before, like fennel, rhubarb, halloumi cheese or even watercress. It's introduced me to some fantastic and tasty ingredients combined to give you mouth-watering flavours. I've made about 50 meals from this book and so far have been disappointed only with the fennel and melon risotto - apart from that each diah I've cooked up was exciting, original and a real feast. This extensive book is a must in any vegetarian kitchen, and will suit the beginner and advanced cook alike, with really simple recipes but also some time-consuming expert ones. Certainly one of the books I used most often.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best vegetarian cookery book I've found, 5 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
As co-owner of an extensive cookery book collection (100+), I can honestly say that this one gets more use than any of the others, both by myself and my (non-vegetarian) partner. Some recipes are more time-consuming than others, but few are technically difficult. Most also lend themselves to adaptation if the 'right' ingredients aren't to hand. It's particularly excellent if you subscribe to an organic veg delivery scheme, as there are a few recipes for just about any obscure veg you can think of, as well as all the more ordinary stuff. I'd recommend this to anyone who really likes food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to any cookbook collection, 22 Sept. 2005
Gary Nicklin (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
At the moment, this book is almost permanently open in my kitchen, such are the variety of the recipes. Some of the recipes are very simple, others more complex. Mnay of the more simple ones I've found are a great base to then improvise and add a few more ingredients to.
What I particularly like are the introductions to the chapters, this hints and tips about techniques and the organisation of the recipes into sections relevent to each kind of ingredient.
I'm sure that this will end up a well thumbed and sauce-stained book in my kitchen from constant use.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only want to own one veggie cookbook..., 27 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
...then you should strongly consider this one.
Its packed with recipies, many of which are easy to make, and many of which you won't find elsewhere. Its just great for finding a new way to cook with a dietary staple or if you just want to use up awkward leftover ingredients from another recipe.
Instructions are clear, its well organised and indexed, and it makes accompaniment suggestions, which I appreciate. My only quibble is the limited number of photos, as I think they add greatly to any quality cookbook. However, what is already a very thick book would then be twice the size and probably thrice the cost if they also published a photo for every recipe!!!
Butchers beware - this bible has the power of conversion!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not basic, 16 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
This is a good book. But it is not a cheerful "throw the following ingredients in a pan" kind of book. It is more sophisticated and many of the recipes require ingredients that you are not likely to have in your store cupboard. Many of the recipes also require quite a lot of time or assume a certain amount of cookery technique. That said, everything I've cooked from this book has been delicious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good reference with many interesting recipes, 5 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
At around 550 pages, this book certainly has a large number of interesting recipes.
I especially like the diversity of the ingredients used; from chick peas to quorn and quinoa. There are at least a few recipes for each ingredient, taken from many different area's of the world.
As far as the information in the book is concerned, don't expect many pictures.There are a few, but 99% is text-only.
There are a helpful sections on diets, food safety and special ingredients and each chapter is preceded by a description of the main ingredient used in that section (such as pulses and legumes).
I would have liked a bit more information per recipe, such as preparation time and the amount of calories per serving for example. Also note that there is no indication of how many people the recipe serves or whether it's a side dish or main course; that's all up to yourself.
Not a book I would recommend to people who are new to cooking in general, but if you enjoy using your own creativity, it's a book you'll enjoy for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking up a veggie storm, 5 Aug. 2003
Sue Plummer (Edinburgh, Edinburgh United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leith's Vegetarian Bible (Hardcover)
As a life long vegetarian and experienced and enthusiastic cook, this book is just what I wanted. It is crammed full of new and imaginative ideas , a far cry from the usual fare offered to those who want to cook vegetarian dishes.
The categorisation under food types is great - let's me see at a glance what I can do with the things that are lying in my fridge and veggie box !
There is a great balance of dishes suitable for everyday, snacks and entertaining.
A much loved - and used - addition to my book shelf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Leith's Vegetarian Bible
Leith's Vegetarian Bible by Polly Tyrer (Hardcover - 21 Oct. 2002)
Used & New from: £9.00