Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 November 2004
When I began this book, I was brought right into it straight away. My Godmother sends me a few books every Christmas and Birthday to me. She always buys me the best books. As anyone would, she bought me both, the Witch Child and the sorceress. These type of books are particularly to my interest and I can't stop reading them. I love the bit when Mary is sitting with someone, being shown a woven quilt that was of the lives of her family. This book is good for anyone who is not boring and loves interesting adventures.It is highly reccommended.
on 9 June 2002
I would first of all like to say thanx to my friend as if she hadn't of recommended me Witch Child i would have never of read either of these books.
The saying goes 'don't judge a book by its cover' and it is completely right, the cover kind of looks daunting and looks as if it is going to be scary - not that at all. Instead these books are touching and really believable.
Sorceress follows on with Mary's story and believe me it is a truly wonderfull story. Not your average '..and they all lived happily ever after' story otherwise it wouldn't be believable. Instead it portrays love, loss, war and happiness.
I know this book certaily touched my heart and i can guarantee it will yours.
on 28 September 2006
The story:

The two books by Celia Rees are very well written with a compelling story about survival, gender roles, sexuality, loneliness, tribes, beliefs in the 17th century. Through the use of the first person, readers are taken into Mary's life as she battles against the odds in different countries. Audiences are brought into her world as she describes in a diary styled voice which allows audiences to take in the simple facts. Though perhaps too much emphasis on other characters at times the story is always engaging as we are keen to know what is going to happen to the central protagonist of Mary.

Personally I felt it dragged at quite a few points with too much happening and a bit of exaggeration but its minimal criticism as the book is amazingly sophisticated and detailed throughout. The attention to detail is amazing and the author has an incredible technique to really conform to the moment, to bring it out and make you feel associated with the story.

Changes in time

Rees choose to differ this story to Witch child by including modern day elements. At first when reading about Agnes and her communication with the spirit world I was completely turned off and wondered why. But thankfully as the story progressed I realised it was a valuable element to the story and was great to read. The shift between past and present is great and a different element of story writing for audiences. Rees' gamble paid off. I have read other stories where time changes and it didn't come off but thankfully this is one story that does.

Read it if...you enjoy stories which create emotion, tension and mystery

Synopsis

Another engaging book from Rees which is not as interesting as the first but still managers to satisfy audience expectations

7.5/10
on 22 January 2003
as a follow on from Witch Child, Sorceress transforms wonderfully into the story of the young witch who becomes wife, mother and valued healer. Containing a very moving account of the brutality meted out by white men seeking to conquer more and more land in America, this book reaches far beyond the teenage market. An excellent read.
on 20 October 2013
A good read for me in that I didn't want to put it down. Having said that, I found that so much was put into the main story that the end seemed rushed and a bit fragmented. I found this with Witch Child. It's like the author needs to end the book, and isn't quite sure how to conclude it in the same style.
on 5 June 2005
I loved the first book Witch Child but i was not dissapointed with this sequal, i thought this book was gripping and exciting from the begining, i enjoyed every moment and these two books are the only books i have ever read all the way through and i never once got bored. Its has fulfilled every aspect of what i thought a "witch" would be in the time this book was set in. I cant wait to read another book like it.
on 13 September 2003
Do you know the feeling of disappointment when you read an excellent book, wait ages for the sequel and then when the sequel comes out, its not half as good as the original? I've had the feeling over many books, but not this one. Its as good as Witch Child, maybe better, because there's alot of new characters with their own stories to tell...
It's great how in this book, we see Mary as an adult, not a child, and because of her maturity, she's like a different character. I loved it so much, I read it all in one go, just as I did with Witch Child.
Excellent all the way through.
on 7 September 2013
I read Witch Child before this book and i was dying to know what happened to Mary. I bought this book hoping to find it. To begin with it was slow starting out. It jumps between modern day and Marys story. I didnt really enjoy the modern day bits but i really enjoyed marys story. I'm glad i know how the story ended though.
on 11 July 2006
I loved Witch child and was in no way disappointed with the sequel.

Although it was confusing in parts with the story skipping back and forwards in time, it was a brilliant read and i highly recommend it to other Celia Rees fans.
on 31 March 2005
I could not put this book down, I was gripped and hung to every single word written, it was absolutley fascinating to discover what happened after the events that happened in 'Witch Child', Mary goes through so much trauma, but always finds happiness, Celia Rees brings Mary and the other characters to life, and creates such a tense atmosphere throughout, I can assure you you will not be dissapointed if you buy this book, but I would recommend that you read 'Witch Child' first just to understand why Mary is in such a situation in the beginning!