5.0 out of 5 stars An odyssey through Brazil and its football
Much more than just a book about Brazilian football, and much more interesting than a book just about Brazilian culture, this wide-ranging work takes the reader right into the heart of the spiritual homeland of what Pele may or may not have called 'the beautiful game'.
From the sweltering depths of the Amazon to the barren wastes of the Faeroe Islands, Bellos takes...
Published on 3 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and well-researched, but in need of editing
This is an entertaining and well-researched book, although at over 400 pages it could do with a bit of editing. It's not so much a book about Brazilian football, but one about the Brazilian obsession with football. As such, it's more about Brazilian history, culture, society, politics and national identity, and the relationship of football with Brazil's other obsession -...
Published on 17 Dec 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, 13 May 2014
For any fan of Brazilian football, this is an incredibly entertaining book full of short stories shedding light in how football reflects the psyche of Brazilians.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining!, 30 April 2014
D. Hayes "diarmo" (Dublin,Ireland) - See all my reviews
very entertaining read..and a great guide for someone going to visit Brazil! you get under the skin of the average Brazilian reading it

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 28 Sep 2013
Ava Fuqua (Colorado Springs, CO, US) - See all my reviews
I wanted to learn more about Brazil and their love of futebol. I expected this book to be dry. The writer is very informative and adds humor to it. Making this a very fun and fast read. If you are interested in learning where Brazil's love for soccer came from and how it has shaped the country I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 24 Jun 2013
If you are a football fan this is the book to have!
I was suggested to me by a fellow football fan at my university. It gives a great insight into a whole country that is united by a single sport.As with any book some chapters are better than others but i can not recommend this enough to football supporters
This book is especially good as a build up to the world cup in Brazil in 2014.
I can not recommend this enough
MUST BUY!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW, 21 Dec 2012
It's a little outdated now, but is a great source of information on the topic that is discussed. I would still reccommend it to prospective readers for historical background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book., 23 Sep 2012
I bought this more for the "Brazil" side of things, but as I'm about to move there getting into Football will be a good way to fit in.

I really recommend this book even if you aren't that interested in Football or even Brazil. It is really well written, funny, sad, it does everything a book like this should.

If I had one complaint it is the book desperately needs an update, written the final years of Cardoso administration Brazil has moved on lightyears in the 12 years since the book was finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars football intertwined with culture, 16 April 2012
I bought this as a last minute read for a holiday at christmas from an airport store. I wanted some easy-reading for the beach. How wrong was I? The book is a fantastic read and outlines geographical, political and ethnical issues that have shaped the Brazil we percieve today. A country barely a century old. A country that has just become the 4th largest economy on the planet. A country shaped by a football Match! You would not believe it, only it is true. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, 28 Dec 2011
I found the delivery to be very fast and the book of excellent quality. I really recommend both this seller and the book itself. The history of Brazilian football is something close to my heart and i thought Bellos wrote in an interesting way.

4.0 out of 5 stars The game and the lifestyle, 4 Mar 2010
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In Futebol, Alex Bellos delivers his insight into the game, the players, the clubs, the authorities and the style of football brazilian-style. Starting with a trip to the Faeroe islands (yes, I'm serious) the reader is taken on a journey through the main (and not so main) football centres of Brazil.

I found the book very informative and certainly recommend it for someone wanting to understanding just how much football means to the people of Brazil. Much attention is given to the World Cup teams and how important this is to the national psyche. There's quite a lot about corruption and the running of the game (as well as variants of the game). If I had to find a negative I thought there was would be more bio of the most famous players.

Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book about wonderful people, 8 Feb 2010
B. Chapman - See all my reviews
I must admit, the only reason I bought this book was a search of "Socrates" which lead me to this work from Alex Bellos. I was hoping to garner his views on the game which the foreword really didn't do but the last chapter dedicated to an interview with the great man was brilliant, in my perhaps biased opinion, it alone was worth what I paid for this book.

Bellos takes a deep look at the game in Brazil, he doesn't just detail rivalries and gather the standard 'fan on the corner' opinions, rather he searches for football at its most pure, whether it be in the middle of the Amazon or in the Favelas of Rio.

The result is a unique look at the Brazilian game and at Brazilian life for this book is surely more than a football book, it helps the untrained eye understand the depth of meaning the game has in the country, just how important it became to an infant nation and how Dictator's used it to serve their own purposes.

Some of the material is slightly obscure (pages dedicated to the man who designed the Brazil shirt, a man who incidentally is a mad Uruguay supporter) but the content is truly revealing and told in such a way that it's difficult to put this book down.

Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life
Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life by Alex Bellos (Paperback - 6 May 2002)
7.52