5.0 out of 5 stars Much Muggle Admiration
I too would like to heap praise on the literary delight that is Harry Potter. Despite being something of a late convert I am now one of the rank and file who willl extoll the virtues of this book for many moons. I spent five days reading the books for hours at a time, thoroughly enjoying the narrative style and quirky sense of humour on pratically every page. I am an avid...
Published on 3 July 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic books
However, for those that haven't yet entered into Harry's world, you should know that there are, in fact, seven planned books, so buying the four book set would be a little odd. seeing as the other three (when you buy them) would have to be loose. I love the stories, but this 'collection' is a bit of a cash in, and you'd be better off buying them all in hardback, or...
Published on 7 Nov. 2001 by Adam Fong

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars DO believe the Hype!, 12 Nov. 2001
I've just finished studying and needed some escapism. A whole year after my friends & family went Potter-crazy - driving me crazy with words like Hagrid, Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, and Quidditch - I have finally come of age and now know what the fuss is all about. I borrowed the Philosopher's Stone and after a 3-hour train journey I had devoured it. I was actually fighting back the tears during the last chapter because I was absolutely astounded that an entire new world has been created, which through emphasis on very human emotions is very feasibly integrated into every-day life. The story is sheer delight! The businessman opposite me on the train was flitting between the Chamber of Secrets and his laptop!! I bought the second book for my return train journey, I can't get enough, and I'm nearly 27! PLEASE if you haven't yet become acquainted with Harry's wonderful world you really ought to. DO believe the Hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not just for Kids!, 5 Nov. 2001
I bought the first book, 'The Philosophers Stone' on a lazy sunday, just out of interest as to what all the hype was about...by the following weekend I had bought and finished the second book, and I'm not a particularly speedy reader...I was dying to find out if there was a third, which is why I'm here!
I'm 23 and haven't had as much pleasure from a book for a long time, I honestly could not put the books down.
Grown-ups, get reading!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read - don't let the kids get it first!!!!!, 20 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
If I'd have read the first book before seeing the film, I might not have read the subsequent ones - not that I didn't think it was good, it just took a bit of getting into. However, the following books were out of this world - once you start reading them, you won't be able to put them down. And sad as it might seem, I felt almost as if I were really there - the characters came to life - I laughed and cried along with them! Can't wait for the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter - Every child's dream written down on paper!, 4 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Harry Potter Hardback Box Set: Four Volumes (Hardcover)
To begin with, I daresay that I did not begin reading the Harry Potter series when they were first published, until 1999, when The Philosopher's Stone was 2 years old. I am so glad I picked up that particular book (The Philosopher's Stone) from my parent's - yes my parent's - bookshelf.
Since that day I have fell in love with these books. The amount of complete and utter passion, love, fantasy, bravery, and true friendship that is literally poured into them amazes me.
Since reading these books, it has been one of my best dreams to go to Hogwarts, and excel in subjects such as Charms and Defence Against The Dark Arts.
I think several people will agree with me that The Prisoner Of Azkaban is the best book of the series so far. Personally, I think it, while a bit confusing in places, boasts the best storylines. The very person Harry suspects of being his enemy and his change of character during the book is what makes it so appealing.
A lot of mysteries that were unexplained previously, are revealed within the pages of this book. The deaths of Harry's parents, and what they were really like when they were at school is explained. Professor Snape's hatred for Harry grows even more deeper and vociferous during this part of the saga, and now you can see where that hatred originates.
The conflicts, on physical, mental, and personal notes are astounding. The way in which Hermione is just not herself is just great, inspiring reading.
In my opinion, 5 stars isn't enough for this series of books. I'd give it at least 500 stars.
These stories have helped me thorugh some tough times in my life, and I wouldn't be as happy today if it weren't for them. These books don't just bring dreams and people's imaginations to life, they bring hope. Hope to people who need lifting up.
Thank you for letting me have this time and space to share with the world just how much these books mean to me.
Long live J.K. Rowling!

5.0 out of 5 stars J K Rowling is a genius!, 11 Oct. 2001
Harry Potter is not just for children. Harry Potter is also for their parents. The characters and ever-twisting plots in all 4 books are enough to get young children started on the wonderful world of books as well as helping parents share in the joys that their children find within these pages.
The smooth flow of narrative in the entire series and the simplicity of it makes it a great hit with kids. It didn't take me long to get convinced by my daughter what joys Harry Potter and his friends gave her!
Buy this today and tomorrow you will have a treasure in your hands that you can pass down to future generations. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, fought my kids to read them first, 30 Nov. 2000
whithin a few pages of the first book i just knew i wouldn't be able to stop reading them. I bought all four books and read them within two weeks. I guess you could say I was hooked. Unfortunately i had bought them to read to my kids but when the lights went out and the kids went to sleep i just kept on reading. It is so nice to read books with children that are exciting and help work on a childs imagination instead of just plonking them infront of a television screen full of fighting and bad language. We can't wait for the film and hopefully Harry Potter V (pleaseeeeeeee)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read them!, 8 Mar. 2002
Kevin Rowley (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
I can not believe that these books have have taken over my life, well almost. I have not read a book for five years and I am a slow and find reading hard work. My partner brought me the box set for Christmas and as normal I said I would get around to them. I have lots of books I have read a page or two and they are sitting in a book case in some one elses house! I read 3 books in just over 3 weeks and I am now on the 4th I read with such passion a very well writen and truely gripping book and at 43 years old can not wait until the 5th comes out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an edition that almost does the books justice!, 1 July 2003
Obviously you've heard how fantastic Harry Potter is - and it is! The first two books are geared at younger readers but are still easy-reading and fun for adults, whereas Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire are much deeper and darker and can be read on so many levels that make this series as much an Adult read as a Child Read.
I have been looking for a decent hardback set for a while - and this is the only set that comes close. The four books come in different coloured hardbacks, the books are larger than the standard set and the type is also bigger. They come with a ribbon page marker each and a neat book-sleeve as all good quality books should!
I gave this product 4 stars because i believe they could have been better presented - the stories get 5 stars. The gold lining on the pages is quite naff and the hardback is a very odd material - ribbed like very small corrigated cardboard.
Overall, very good and finally a collection of Harry Potter to treasure that i would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars welcome to a none-muggle world, 13 Nov. 2001
proppajob@aol.com (Stoke on Trent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Hardback Box Set: Four Volumes (Hardcover)
The world of Harry Potter is like discovering the lost world of my childhood seventeen years too late. Rowling takes the reader to an imaginative world so unique that you can actually visualise being in Diagon ally buying wands from Mr Olivander himself. The Philosopher's (wizard's) stone introduces the reader to this world with detail and description last found in the novels of the early 1900's, and takes the reader on a journey through the world of magic so unique that you long to be a part of it. It comes as no surprise then that this book has become a film that will surpass all others in terms of sales. Next comes The Chamber of secrets, which, in my opinion, is the weakest of all the Potter books. The basic structure of the plot is dark, but the sub-plots and character development is childlike and basic and is almost out of place in a series with such a mature narative. It is, however, in the third book, The prisoner of Askaban, where Rowling shines in her writing ability. The reader is immersed in the truly dark and evil world of wizardry and earnest sentimentality of a protagonist who has not only lost all true members of family, but with it most semblance of self. In the final book, The Goblet of Fire, Rowling matures the story and expands the world of magic. The novel does, at times, spent too much time introducing you this expanded world, but it is the most uncompromising of all the Potter novels. In truth the world, story, acts and events of Potter mature in a way that befits the readership of Harry Potter whilst still staying fresh, mature and surprising. The Potter series is a must for young and old alike - it will surprise both groups how it can stay fresh, original and earnestly emotional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living for Harry., 1 May 2003
This review is from: Harry Potter Hardback Box Set: Four Volumes (Hardcover)
As a 75 year old I have read and re-read the first four Harry Potter books with great enjoyment. I have sent copies to relations and friends in the USA where one of the children has taken her copies to school and they were used, in conjunction with the American editions as part of their English lesson.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Harry Potter Hardback Box Set: Four Volumes
Harry Potter Hardback Box Set: Four Volumes by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - 2 Oct. 2000)
Used & New from: £95.39