on 5 September 2000
The Atlas of Experience is a sublime book. I urge everyone to buy this book (no I don't work for the publishers!), it is a beautiful and poetic meditation on the nature of everyday life. You will find yourself caught between the wonderful images, the warmth of the text, and your own daydreams! I have not read a book this good since I read 'The Little Prince' (which I also recommend!). This is the kind of book that creates a sense of peace within you. Buy it and be happy!
on 26 June 2004
While adhering to the conventions of cartography, this atlas invites travellers to follow routes through familiar-looking topography to realms of imagination, ideas, feelings and experience. It encompasses the Ocean of Possibilites, the Swamps of Boredom, the City of Boom and the Airport of Escape.
Two Dutch cartographers get carried away with the idea that life is a journey and can be represented on maps. The text between the maps is suitably thought-provoking and inspirational, but it feels like two books in one. I would have enjoyed even closer integration between the text and the maps, but it's worth buying for the maps alone. There is plenty of scope for the creative trainer to turn this coffee table novelty into a powerful tool for reflection. Some might say that Tony Buzan has done the job already with Mind Mapping. But this is different and more magical. It is like Treasure Island or The Phantom Tolbooth - for grown ups.
on 15 May 2015
Wonderful dreamy book which holds many witty surprises - this is the 4th I've bought for friends. Lovely
on 28 April 2016
An amazing book, and with extremely thought provoking maps! So thankful my PhD tutor recommended it!
on 16 August 2014
Sorry, it is probably just me, but didn't enjoy nor see the point in this book. The maps are drawn beautifully and there are a few points of interest throughout the text but that is me really trying to be positive.
on 29 December 2000
A book for those who want to escape the real world, which in fairness, any good book does take you away from reality and encaptures you within its pages. for me this was a collection of tripe. I did not enjoy it and found myself grinning at the foolishness of it all.
A nice idea I suppose but not one that I found interesting or stimulating. If you are searching for answers or direction in life then maybe this would help. It might make you realise that the time you wasted reading it could have been more productive and enjoyable doing something else. ie : getting on with life instead of sitting there pondering it.