1,570 Reviews
 (1,328)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, whatever your age.
Published on 28 Jan 2001 by marijean@mcs.net

3.0 out of 5 stars No difference
No difference at all! Thought the adult edition would be different but the girlfriend said that nothing different occurs :-! Ah well, worth a try!
Published 1 month ago by Sean

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, whatever your age., 28 Jan 2001
marijean@mcs.net (Chicago, United States) - See all my reviews
I was somewhat suspicious of the hype surrounding the Harry Potter books, but when I saw this book laying on our endtable I picked it up. I am a US college student with very little time, but I made time to finish all the currently available Potter books. It was well worth the effort. By the end of the first few chapters I was in love with Rowling's ideas, characters, writing, and message. Rowling has a style that would be conversational, but is cleaner and smoother. This gives her writing a sense of effortlessness perhaps only seen in children's books--a sense that I think many of us lose as we grow older. It also makes the books remarakably easy and enjoyable to read. By the end of five days I had finished off the first four books and was seriously considering rereading them.
I have recommended this book and all the subsequent books to everyone I know, of all ages. They are intelligent and imaginative without pretention or condescension, making them something everyone can appreciate and learn from. This series more than deserves the "hype" it has recieved, and will certainly far outlast it. I look forward to reading these books to my own children someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't remember enjoying any book more, 1 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Special Edition) (Hardcover)
I laughed at my adult son when I found him reading Harry Potter. He said "don't knock it until you've tried it" and gave me the Philosopher's Stone for Christmas. I am now addicted and have bought and read them all.I am an avid reader of all types of literature but these are something else!

5.0 out of 5 stars This was an extraordinary adventure., 29 May 2000
By A Customer
This novel is an extraordinary adventure. It shows heroism, love, compasion, and friendship. It is surch a magical tale, that I have read it five times. I suggest that everyone throughout the world should read this enthrawling tale. When reading this book you get swept into a world of fantasy, where dragons are real, magic is everywhere, and you never know what will happen next. In this novel, there is the epic battle between good (Dumbledor,Harry, Ron, and Hermoine) and evil ( Quirrel and Voldemort). When you finish this book, it leaves you craving more Harry Potter, and wondering what will happen durring year 2 at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry potter, 6 May 2013
it is fab-u-lous and really good also it is so great i have read it 50 times it's the best ever i love the chapter Halloween

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTION, 5 May 2013
This book is responsible for shaping my entire childhood! This is an absolute must read for anyone, child or adult

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter, 4 May 2013
It was amazing and I couldn't take my eyes off it. Can't wait to read the second one! 5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Read by the ideal presenter, 14 Mar 2002
By A Customer
I hope this will qualify as focused upon content, as the content of the audiobook is more than the story being told. American audiobook customers are offered a competent but lackluster reading by someone calling himself Jim Dale (come now, is that Joe the stockroom boy, or what?). His pronunciation is acceptable and his apprehension of the story sufficient, but his voicing of a not-short narrative provides no interest of its own and begins to drag down the proceedings. UK fans are blessed with direct access to what amounts to a brilliant performance in Stephen Fry's reading of Harry Potter's first four adventures. Any other performance this striking, with distinct characterizations and pace-conscious narration, would be likely to distract from the story. But Stephen Fry must be every bit the magician Harry Potter is, because he brings subtle detail and wild dynamism to every paragraph, and inhabits the story like a dragon inhabits his scales. It's a feat of alchemy equal to anything in the books. If I had to go down to the bank and change my dollars for Euros I would have this audiobook collection by overseas shipment.
My wife, the family's true Harry Potter fanatic, opines that Stephen Fry would have been ideal in the motion picture series in the role of Hagrid, the animal lover. When Hagrid regards the baby dragon he says, "he knows his mummy," and when Stephen Fry reads the line, I'm inclined to agree with her. When a job calls for whimsy and gravitas in equal measure, Fry has no equal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Fry is a genious, 2 Mar 2007
Most of these reviews concentrate on praise for J K Rowling, and as I agree with all that has been said, I won't add to them, but instead heap praise onto Stephen Fry. His narration is far and away the best that I have listened to over many years of enjoying audio books. Each and every character has their own distinctive and perfectly-judged voice, so that you know instantly who is speaking before the name is given. This makes it so much easier to simply enjoy the wonderful story without being distracted by confusion as to who is saying what, as so often happens with other narrators. I would probably never have bothered with Harry Potter if the unabridged Philosopher's Stone had not been broadcast on Boxing Day several years ago. We had a very long drive home after a family visit, and thought that this would wile away at least part of the journey. Part of it! We were completely enthralled all the way home, and then made a dash for the house, and frantically retuned the radio. We sat at the kitchen table until it was finished. We have bought all of the others as they came out, and they have all been great. I recommend listening to these stories whilst curled up on the sofa on a Winter's evening over any T.V program that I can think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book, 5 stars, Fry's fantastic reading, 6 stars., 18 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Being an adult, and having never read a Harry Potter book, I was sceptical. I hoped that the book would have done enough to enchant me, but Fry's reading brings the book to life. It was more than a great book; it was a superb audio theatrical production.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Must., 8 Nov 2001
By A Customer
I am not the first person you would be expecting to read this book because I'm a 20-year old male.
The reason I bought the book was to see for myself what all this Harry Potter stuff was about. I am ashamed to say, that before the Philosopher Stone, I had never in my life read a book cover to cover, because I get too easily bored.
This book, however, had me up at all hours of the night, I couldn't put it down for a second and when I did, it was to start the next one in the series. I have been amazed to find that this "Childrens Book" has such far reaching appeal, you are both amazed by both the wonder and the detail of wizarding world and by the suspense that will leave the most adult of us guessing on every page.
Absolutely Amazing, but be warned, make sure you have plenty of free time, because once you pick this up you won't want to put it down, I promise.

ARRAY(0xb6b86684)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Special Edition)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Special Edition) by J.K. Rowling (Hardcover - 27 Sep 1999)
12.06