5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrics, artwork and great pics, 16 Jan 2005
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Through the years I have always been frustrated by the lack of a lyric sheet with Patti Smith's albums. I thought her marriage of poetry and rock deserved better. And there were many parts of her songs that I just couldn't make out, what with her broad New York drawl, so this book came as a godsend. And yes, I was invariably wrong in my guessing! So to the book: more than 150 gripping photographs, insightful annotations to the lyrics from the first seven albums and those wonderful songs that work equally well on the printed page but really come alive with her music. There are also journal entries and original artwork by Patti. The book has an excellent design, typography and layout, and is highly recommended to her fans and those interested in rock culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE LYRICS AT LAST, 8 Sep 2000
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Patti Smith Complete: Lyrics, notes and reflections for the future (Paperback)
Through the years I have always been frustrated by the lack of a lyric sheet with Patti Smith's albums. I thought her marriage of poetry and rock deserved better. And there were many parts of her songs that I just couldn't make out, what with her broad NY drawl, so this book came as a godsend. And yes, I was invariably wrong in my guessing! So to the book: excellent photographs, insightful annotations and those wonderful songs that work equally well on the printed page but really come alive with her music. Excellent design, typography, layout; highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patti Smith's BEST BOOK, 10 April 2009
This is a truly GREAT book! This hardback version (isbn: 0-7475-4457-3) is in my humble opinion, by far the best. Even though it doesn't include 'gung ho' or 'trampin' lyrics like the later edition - I prefer this one. It has a tactile and somehow familliar 'feel'. Seems like it's just you and Patti 121.
It's so great to finally get to suss-out those odd elusive lyrics that had evaded my hearing all these years!
Has many truly wonderful photo's too.
This is one of those very few books that I just love to keep close at hand, to 'dip-in' - hold & to caress.
One of my favourite top ten books of all time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 6 Dec 2004
This book is beautiful. It's a book you can pick up and flick to any page, read some of the lyrics, look at some of the pictures, and feel the pain and joy and sorrow and ecstasy of a beautiful, strong woman who has endured a lot of suffering. It's like taking a trip through the memory lane of Smith's mind. I've read it over and over, and enjoyed it everytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply amazing, 24 May 2004
a compleat insight to the mind of a great artist. an extreamily amazing read.a must have for any aspiring writer

Patti Smith Complete: Lyrics, notes and reflections for the future