5.0 out of 5 stars Packed With Knowledge!
Published on 16 Jun 2004 by Rolf Dobelli

2.0 out of 5 stars Long on Anecdotes--But Short on Advice
Published on 17 Nov 2002 by Imperial Topaz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Long on Anecdotes--But Short on Advice, 17 Nov 2002
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working with Emotional Intelligence (Paperback)
I began this book with great interest. With his excellent anecdotes, I quickly became fully convinced of the value of working with emotional intelligence. But instead of going on to make suggestions as to how a person could improve their own emotional inteligence, or how to help employees/managers in this area, he continued on and on with more anecdotes, clear until the end of the book. I didn't need any more convincing--I was already convinced by the first third of his book--I wanted him to give some advice about implementation, which he didn't give.

3.0 out of 5 stars Daniel, give us some techniques - please!, 25 Mar 2000
This review is from: Working with Emotional Intelligence (Paperback)
This book covers Emotional Intelligence in a business context. It's similar in format to the first book, with lots of anecdotes. But again, contains no 'how to' techniques (some customer reviewers think it did - maybe they were reading between the lines or something). As a trainer of EQ development techniques, imagine my disappointment! This book will be most useful to managers commisioning or assessing EQ training.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed With Knowledge!, 16 Jun 2004
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Daniel Goleman followed up his bestselling classic Emotional Intelligence with this equally classic sequel that focuses on how emotional intelligence is applied in the workplace. Insightful and richly detailed, Goleman's work educates and inspires without ever sounding trite or sappy, like some annoying quick-fix scheme. If you are leadership bound and think success is all about strategy and technique, this will provide some very useful insights into what people really think about managing and being managed. The most intriguing sections focus on the application of emotional intelligence at work, but it would be pretty useful at home, too (if we could just get out of the office). If you think that you don't need to be more aware of the emotional undercurrents all around you, we warn that you need to read this most of all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, Simplistic, Powerful and Life Changing!, 20 Sep 2001
This review is from: Working with Emotional Intelligence (Paperback)
Are you one of those people who feels there is something not quite "clicking together" both professionally and personally? Do people say you are "clever, knowledageable and confident" but you can't seem to gain a promotion?
This book will help you understand what makes the the differance... it is not a book full of breakthrough messages but a book of that demonstrates the importance of how our behaviour can act as an enabler for our own prosperity and even more rewarding, how our behaviour can make a positive differance in the lives of people around us, our work colleagues, our partners, our friends and our children.

5.0 out of 5 stars BECOME A LEADER BY IMPROVING YOUR EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE, 8 Dec 1999
This review is from: Working with Emotional Intelligence (Paperback)
I couldn't help thinking as I read this book that this is a guide for what parents should teach their chiildren and how parents should act to be good role models for their children. I agree that emotional intelligence can be learned and that the most successful leaders "have it". In fact, perhaps the high turnover that we see in senior executives today is that we are no longer willing to tolerate those without emotional intelligence. Many of the 25 emotional competencies are values that we see during interviews where we match the candidate' value to those of the company's. In effect, we are valuing their ability to work together at an emotional level. The good news is that based on this book and the many case studies, you do not have to be strong in all of the areas. WORKING WITH EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE also stresses the success of the optimistic, and goes beyond other books in explaining why this occurs. Finally, one critical strength of the emotionally intelligent is the ability to communicate with many people in many ways. I have just read THE 2,000 PERCENT SOLUTION which has a chapter on the inability to make progress without good communications and what good communications requires. Their other stalls also complement WORKING WITH EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE by describing the problems of not being able to accept new ideas or adapt to change or do what must be done. Combine learning how to increase your emotional intelligence with THE 2,000 PERCENT SOLUTION'S identification of where you are "Stalled" and how to make rapid progress and you are well on the path to being a successful leader in family and business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 11 Nov 1999
This review is from: Working with Emotional Intelligence (Paperback)
This book is extremely enlightening and well-written. If you have ever wondered how to become senior in your workplace, this book is for you.
During my education, I was convinced that success was proportional to intellect alone. This is not the case in 'the real world' however. In every company I've worked at the people at the top are not the brightest.
This book not only explains why this is often the case, but also teaches you how to boost your own EQ.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 21 April 2013
C. Corton (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working with Emotional Intelligence (Paperback)
Very interesting book. Easy to read and informative. Like the writing style as the theory is not wrapped up in too much pointless information.

3.0 out of 5 stars anecdotal, 9 Aug 2014
I did expect to be given advice with examples of how to approach a specific incident...eg...how would you manage someone who you knew needed to have a specific experience linked to their health undertaken......and then guidelines.......the content of this book was, in my view, anecdotal and always linked to big business, rather than individuals per se. Some good points however.

5.0 out of 5 stars BECOME A LEADER BY IMPROVING YOUR EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE, 8 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I couldn't help thinking as I read this book that this is a guide for what parents should teach their children and how parents should act to be good role models for their children. I agree that emotional intelligence can be learned and that the most successful leaders "have it". In fact, perhaps the high turnover that we see in senior executives today is that we are no longer willing to tolerate those without emotional intelligence. Many of the 25 emotional competencies are values that we see during interviews where we match the candidate' value to those of the company's. In effect, we are valuing their ability to work together at an emotional level. The good news is that based on this book and the many case studies, you do not have to be strong in all of the areas. WORKING WITH EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE also stresses the success of the optimistic, and goes beyond other books in explaining why this occurs. Finally, one critical strength of the emotionally intelligent is the ability to communicate with many people in many ways. I have just read THE 2,000 PERCENT SOLUTION which is a good complement to WORKING WITH EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE by describing the problems of not being able to accept new ideas or adapt to change or do what must be done. Combine the lessons of the two books and you are well on the path to being a successful leader in family and business.

2.0 out of 5 stars Packed full of anecdotes and information but . . !, 3 Feb 2008
This review is from: Working with Emotional Intelligence (Paperback)
It is full of anecdotes, insights and explanations, but I did struggle with reading it cover to cover partly because of the layout. I am glad I bought it, but be warned . . your learning style will heavily influence the impact this book and therefore potentially Emotional Intelligence(EI) has on you. For many attending an EI course would probably be a better starting place, since EI like Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) has lots to offer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Working with Emotional Intelligence
Working with Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman (Paperback - 29 Jun 1999)
6.99