5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this one down!
Mick Brown proves to be the perfect travel companion as you travel the globe with him on a spiritual tour package. Sounds tacky I know but it isn't. Brown's search is essentially for clarity in what proves to be a global mall-like atmosphere of belief systems which rangefrom tacky (Sai Baba) to what looks like the real thing (Buddhist monks in Darahmasala). You...
Published on 10 July 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring
Here is an example of how a good journalist can write a whole book about absolutely nothing. I lost interest on 2nd chapter and had to push myself to read on, hoping it would get more interesting. Half way through the book I had to call it a day. If you are wondering whether it's an entertaining travel book, a self- help or a spiritual development book - it is neither...
Published on 10 Feb 2011 by Elena Tamova

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful travel for those seeking more than meets the eye., 14 July 1999
By A Customer
A tremendous and exhilirating adventure from the urban sprawl of London to the depths of India. This book is both captivating, intelligent and humorous. Mick Brown addresses revelations and belief in an open manner and is a terrific travel companion on a soulful journey through the Asian sub-continent as well as the mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Skeptical searcher casts a wondering eye over the spirutal, 9 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This is an excellent book. Mick Brown approaches his subject with an honest curiosity and a healthy skepticism. His journey help illuminate and inform, and I really identified with his need to find some meaning in the wild range of bizzare and occasionally scary fringe religions.
This is great - go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 28 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This is a superb book by one of the country's most thoughtful journalists. Brown transports the reader around the world, evoking places and ideas with elegant but unpretentious prose.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 26 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Spiritual Tourist: A Personal Odyssey Through the Outer Reaches of Belief (Paperback)
I read this book on my annual skiing holiday in Aspen, Colorado. It made me wonder if my life was worth much. Sure, I make buckets of cash, drive a Ferrari and live in a big house in Chelsea from my job selling mineral futures in the City but I wonder if this is enough. My girlfriend says I am being silly and would miss the good life but I am inclining towards jacking it all in and following in Mr Brown's learned footsteps. I want to feast like him on the world's great religions and philosophies and find for myself what really matters. Because, as he rightly says, he has little in the way of material success and trappings but he has what money cannot buy: an inner peace bred of real honesty. Not for him glib platitudes about God and Faith; no, he says we must look inwards and outwards simultaneously to find who we are and why. Unlike him I am no writer and have spent my life making money but I see how that is pointless and intend to spend my holidays in future in the search for truth. But I will do it in five star comfort since I am only a novice! Thank you Mr Brown for changing me for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Join one man on his fascinating journey, 7 Nov 1998
By A Customer
Mick's journalistic background allows his fascinating journey to be enjoyed by all. The book's title aptly descibes the twin themes of the narrative. You soon find yourself caught up in both the journey and the quest......and in the end you will not be disapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally honest, 1 Dec 2000
You don't have to accept mick Brown's conlusions to be left with deep respect for his dedication and unshirking honesty in looking for and interpreting the events in his quest for spirtuality. In fact, it almost seemed unbelievable that he would carry on undaunted despite the constant knockbacks. For myself, I am about as far from spiritual or religious as it is possible to be. Nevertheless I enjoyed Mick Brown's book - and, to his credit, there are just as many arguments agianst as for spirutality in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 23 May 2000
By A Customer
Mick Brown's intuitive, informed and enlightened journey guides the reader on a fulminating and powerful trip through the spiritual world. As important and enjoyable a read for the uninitiated as for readers with a grasp of the power of the spirit around the world.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, 30 Dec 2001
By A Customer
this is a terrible book. mick brown has no feel for religion or the spirit world. he is a simple minded journalist who pretends to be sensitive. he thinks fancy and convoluted writing is a substitute for genuine empathy with his subjects. he sneers, poses and makes many asinine remarks about people who are trying to find Truth. i was disgusted by this book as someone who has spent her Life studying esoteric literature. question by all means, doubt if you like, but the path to enlightenment is not to be found with cheap cynicism packaged in such badly written books such as this!

Spiritual Tourist: A Personal Odyssey Through the Outer Reaches of Belief