4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting adventure
Ira Levin is somewhat underrated as an author. His highly cinematic style is taut, spare and effective. His plots are exciting, and in books like Rosemary's Baby and The Stepford Wives he shows a rare insight into the female psyche that people like Martin Amis can only dream about. This isn't one of his girl-friendly books, but it is exciting and hugely readable.
Published on 6 Sep 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, but it left me feeling let down
I bought this book because I've heard rave reviews about this author, and was under the impression his genre was more of a thriller-type of read. This book doesn't really fall into that category.

Published 1 month ago by boots-2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting adventure, 6 Sep 2000
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars undervalued classic, 8 Oct 2008
An avid reader (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
I stumbled accross this in a charity shop for 50p and as I had vague recollections of seeing the film a good few years ago I thought I'd give it a go.

And? well I'm glad I did. I agree with the other review in so much as this novel does not seem to receive much (if any) acclaim, however, I loved it.

The premise is intriguing and the book grips from the very first page to the (thought provoking and scary) last page, it's well written and tightly plotted.

It kept me away from some (much needed) sleep was finished in 1 sitting, which is really the highest praise I can give it. Recommended, highly.

I'm off to search out some more from this author.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Ira Levin - Need I say more?, 8 Aug 2011
I feel that Mr Levin grew up in the great days of pulp trash fiction in America and learnt all of the best aspects of the style. Sharp dialogue. Terse descriptions. Dry, dark humour.

Most importantly (for me) he seems to write solely for the enjoyment and pleasure of the reader. I get the feeling that I'm being let off all the "hard stuff" and just being given the very best roller coaster read.

In terms of Boys, I don't feel that anyone having enjoyed the film will regret reading the book.

Grab a sample, take a few minutes and then click the "buy" button. Or just hit "buy" now - you won't regret it :) CW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 30 Nov 2011
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was a thoroughly enjoyable thriller. Despite knowing the plot I still really liked this.

It is very fast paced, well written and even amusing at times.
It does require a certain amount of suspension of disbelief but it is so well done that I didn't really notice any of the possible lack of realism.
The central character, Leibermann is really well portrayed and makes a welcome change from the usual hero of thrillers.

****SLIGHT SPOILER*****
With the benefit of hindsight it probably gives too much credit in portraying some of the Nazis who fled to South America as evil geniuses. Josef Mengele seems to have been a psychotic killer rather than a serious scientist and his time in South America was somewhat seedy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 23 Dec 2005
By A Customer
The Boys From Brazil by Ira Levin, not to be mistaken for the chronicles of Brazilian football’s greatest players.
I am amazed there hasn’t been much fanfare or reverence awarded to this novel. The book never seems to feature on any best novel shortlist, well it definitely makes my shortlist.
The story revolves around Yakov Lieberman an aging Nazi Hunter, a sort of pertinent and righteous James Bond. After years of bringing to justice numerous Nazi luminaries and faced with a general public apathy for his work, one final chance of stardom beckons. The long awaited capture of the cruel Dr Mengele of Auschwitz infamy that in the name of science committed heinous crimes. The plot seems very fantastic and the only way to keep secrets of this magnitude is to have one secret keeper. However, it is still a terrific thriller that delves into the nature-nurture debate and different motives behind justice.
If this book does nothing else, it will encourage you to find out the real people and facts behind the holocaust.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mengele is back...., 27 Dec 2011
My first book by the author, and I don't think it will be my last....

Dr Josef Mengele is alive and kicking in Brazil, he is at the centre of a plot to begin the reintroduction of the 3rd Reich. 94 middle aged men must die on specific dates in order for the plan to come into fruition, but standing in his way are an aging Nazi hunter and his newly appointed apprentice.

Can they stop Mengele in time?

An interesting concept and well written, at time the plot was given away a little earlier that would have liked but all in all a very good read. Probably not one that I will revisit but one that I will remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Steal at 99p on the Daily Deal, 2 Feb 2012
I bought this for the Kindle on a daily deal for 99p. Having seen the film 30 years ago and consigned it to back of my memory banks, I felt the time was right to revisit. And oh boy was it a good decision.

Ira Levin created some of the most iconic novels of the 70s - this one, The Stepford Wives, Rosemary's Baby, Sliver. The man was a creative genius, turning his hand to genuinely tense thrillers with widely different subject matter.

Anyway, back to 'Boys'. Levin taps into the 'Nazi-hunting' phenomenon of the late 60s/early 70s to bring a terrifying glimpse of what could happen if the Nazis found themselves reborn. A young Jew wanting to join the hunters finds himself witness to the plans of a Nazi cell down in the Amazon. Before he is dispatched by burly Nazis, he manages to place a call to renowned Nazi Hunter Yakov Liebermann, who is at a loss to explain what he heard.

Much of the novel is devoted to the declining fortunes of the hunters. What was previously a well-funded organisation is now losing it's backers. After all, there are only so many Nazis to catch. Liebermann believes he is on the trail of Josef Mengele, Angel of Death in Hitler's most trusted circle. An intelligent, yet wholly evil individual devoted to experimentation on children to prolong the Aryan genes. As Liebermann tries to unravel the mystery, 65 year old men suddenly start dropping dead in apparently unconnected circumstances.

Levin brings his characters to life brilliantly. I loved the way he describes Mengele's thoughts - you can feel the hate for the Jews coming off the page/screen, and also his intense dislike for anyone or anything which does not fit the Aryan ideal. There is also a moral issue inherent with the 'new Jews' who would rather kill the Nazis than bring them to trial, and this presents a huge dilemma for Liebermann - does he continue to parade the actions of the Nazis in front of the world so the globe can see what they did must never be repeated? Or does he take a swifter justice?

A tremendous read which zipped along for me far too quickly. I read it in 2 sittings as I couldn't put the damn thing down!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, but it left me feeling let down, 23 Feb 2014

The book is good. It's got an interesting and exciting plot. The characters are cleverly constructed and come across larger than life, which is enjoyable. The plot itself is strange, but not scary or really disturbing - maybe I'm not easy to shock, I don't know. I love the idea of the Nazi's trying to recreate a certain person (I won't put in too many spoilers) by the hundreds; it's interesting and makes the reader consider the implications of genetic engineering.

However, the book fell a little flat for me. I ended up rooting for the bed guys because they were just so much more animated than the good guys. I was really disappointed with the ending, it just seemed... not rushed ... but like more really should have happened.

It's well worth a read, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as I thought it was going to be and left me feeling like I wanted more. The storyline had great potential, and Levin is clearly talented, I just wished the story had been more fulfilling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thriller, 19 Dec 2013
Is not like the film , so I would recommend it , if you like Ira Levin , or just a good thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, easy reading thriller, 3 Nov 2013
This was a very quick and easy read, which is only really resolved in the last half of the book. You don't really know why men are being killed off by Nazi's especially when they have no affiliation to any Nazi party. However you can begin to make assumptions if you have any idea about Mengeles and the high proportions of blonde, blue eyed children in parts of South America born after the collapse of the Nazi regime. What I found most scary about the book (and it was written almost 40 years ago), is how people stick to their beliefs of how some groups are not worthy to live and should be exterminated, and this is still going on today. The biggest issue I had about the book was the ending. While it was fiction, using real people gives and emphasis of reality and the ending didn't stick to this. Overall an enjoyable thriller which made me want to research more about what I already knew about the `Angel of Auschwitz' and the atrocities he undertook.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb616c300)

The Boys from Brazil
The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin (Paperback - 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01