4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book that should make a great movie.
Published on 16 Sep 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable fiction, its cinematic roots all too obvious.
Published on 31 Oct 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable fiction, its cinematic roots all too obvious., 31 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Jacob's Hands (Hardcover)
When I read the book, I hadn't realized it was the result of a film project. But in restrospect that makes all the sense in the world. We meet Jacob in the 'present', shift to the 'story' which explains it all, and then return to the 'present'. We follow our protagonist through the adventures presented by his natural healing powers and his genuine love for a dreaming young women. Written in a clear straightfoward style, it was all too easy to forsee the results of each action. Description leads to the obvioius mental visualization, very cinematic. The main characters are well drawn, the plot flows smoothly, and the book is a compelling read. Not particularly challenging, just simple enjoyable recreational fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book that should make a great movie., 16 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Jacob's Hands (Hardcover)
Its been a very long time since I've sat down and read a book from cover to cover all in one sitting. It couldn't be helped in this case. I know this was written as a rough draft for a screenplay, but so what, I think it is complete as it is. It does what a book should do. It starts the little theater of the mind and lets you fill in the blanks. If you lack imagination, for heaven sake don't pick up this book, wait for the movie. If you prefer to create your own details, however, you can't beat this for a good read.

Jacob's Hands
Jacob's Hands by Christopher Isherwood (Paperback - 5 Nov 1998)
6.17