5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for all ages
I love Stephen Fry's reading of this book. Although it is typically recommended for 9 years and up, my daughter, who is just five, is already hooked. Fry's clear reading makes the story easy to follow even for younger listeners.
Published on 22 May 2001 by julia@classicbadges.com

3.0 out of 5 stars bent
I love the book but part of it is bent and has affected each page. Is there anything you can do?
Published 8 months ago by jem

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for all ages, 22 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Fry shoots, he scores!, 4 Jun 2000
By A Customer
I have read all three books and was astounded by the amazing storyline! I have listened to the tapes and in doing so have come to the conclusion that Stephen Fry should be the narrator for all the books. His use of voices for all the different characters alone is enough to keep anyone interested, but combined with J.K Rowling's amazing suspense filled storyline, it is a tape to die for. I just can't wait till the next book comes out on tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly written piece of fantasy, 6 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) (Hardcover)
I bought Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in a bookshop to read to my two sons (7 and 9), and they were enthralled; my wife could hardly believe her eyes when she interrupted the showdown at the finish and discovered them both sitting bolt upright holding their breath! When we found the Chamber of Secrets in the local library we had to get it out immediately. I found it even better than the first, to the extent that I could not wait to read it at bedtime before finishing it. To my mind it is better paced than the Philosopher's Stone, which I felt was a bit slow in setting up the really exciting bit; the Chamber of Secrets starts to hot up about half way through in a well-judged crescendo. But it is even better at developing the characters, including the ever so vital Hermione, who gets a bit more get-up-and-go just when it's needed. This is not a great children's book; it's just a great book. When the paperback is out, we'll be getting a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun!, 14 Nov 2005
Nadia "Fleet UK" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I fell in love with this series and I’ve listened to the audio books more times than I could possibly count. I wore out the tapes and moved on to CDs.
Stephen Fry is with out a doubt the best narrator I have ever heard, and has won awards for more than one of his Harry Potter readings. He distinguishes between the character’s voices so well, that it really could be an entire cast performance. I find myself smiling in recognition of a character’s voice even before he says whose speaking.
The first two books were the most light-hearted of the series, and there are some truly classic moments in this book. The flying car sequence is excellent, Harry’s valentine had me laughing so much I had to stop the book, and Lockheart is just fantastic. It was equally gripping as Philosopher’s stone. I think the scene in the chamber of secrets is one of the best written sequences in the series. But this book also has a darker side too. I remember the shiver down my spine as I first heard the chilling voice of the Basilisk. I thought the series got better with every book, though I adore them all, but from here onwards, the series becomes a much more complex, deeper and many layered story, so enjoy the fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the CD - Brilliantly read, 4 Jun 2007
Stephe Fry's narration is far and away the best that I have listened to over many years of enjoying audio books. Each and every character has their own distinctive and perfectly-judged voice, so that you know instantly who is speaking before the name is given. This makes it so much easier to simply enjoy the wonderful story without being distracted by confusion as to who is saying what, as so often happens with other narrators. We bought all of the other Harry Potter CDs, and they have all been great. I recommend listening to these stories whilst curled up on the sofa on a Winter's evening over any T.V program that I can think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh and listen to the loveable, looney Lockhart!, 29 Oct 2003
Not only does Steven Fry do this ostentatious story justice but also the character Lockhart is the most hilarious thing on audio CD! Phrases like: 'Harry, Harry, Harry', and 'Fame is a fickle friend', gave us hours of tumultuous hysterics. This story is for all ages and despite not being the best of the novels, it is the epitome of family fun, and if you can only buy one set of CDs/tapes this should be the one. J. K. Rowling mixes wit, an intoxicating plot, vivid description and a fascinating culture into an unforgettable experience. This is the ultimate 'must-have' of the audio CD world. Stephen, you have created a masterpiece out of a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent!, 30 Nov 2002
By A Customer
I bought this audio book for my six year old daughter last year and she can now practically recite the whole thing by heart! She is allowed to listen to it in bed on weekend nights and she also takes it on car journeys and its even been to America and back with us. We also have The Philosophers Stone on CD and we are saving up for The Prisoner of Azkaban. Stephen Fry's adaptation of Rowlings characters really bring them to life and I don't know when I have ever spent my money more wisely. Also, with the number of times my daughter has played them, I am very happy that we invested in CDs as opposed to cassettes. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Praise This Excellent Recording Highly Enough, 12 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Stephen Fry's superb readings of the Harry Potter novels have already become contemporary classics: they are far too good to be left for children only. I am delighted that they have been re-issued on cd, as the cassette medium is all-too-fragile and many repeated plays leave the cassettes in an all-too-worn state. CDs are much more durable. And believe me, though these recordings are expensive, they are well worth the money as they will be played over and over again.
Stephen Fry is a highly talented comedian and actor with a very wide range. Without seeming to try too hard, he gives each of Rowling's characters their own voice, which is necessary in a reading of this sort, but the voices he uses are so cleverly chosen and executed that they do far more than merely help us distinguish one character from another. By assigning each character a specific accent he places them in the Great British Class Battleground and with his excellent sense of timing and nuance he accentuates Rowling's satires with his own sly wit. I actually prefer Fry's readings of the Harry Potter novels to the novels themselves, as Fry adds a whole new dimension to the books, grounding them firmly in the debates (squabbles?) of modern British life. An especial joy in his reading of Chamber Of Secrets is his interpretation of the ghastly Gilderoy Lockhart, who becomes almost frighteningly alive and believeable in Fry's hands. I would not be at all surprised to find the Loathsome Lockhart popping up on Start The Week! He'd fit right in...

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy them all!, 7 May 2003
By A Customer
Theres not much you can say about the Chamber of Secrets or indeed any of the Harry Potter series that hasn't been said already!
I'm 26 and was very weary of all the outstanding reviews these books have got, and after all they are childrens books. Surely I thought it must be too good to be true. However I bought the first book and WOW! I couldn't put it down, I finished it that day!
My advice would be to buy these books right now! They really are compulsive reading. Whether you are an avid reader or have never read a book before in your life, you'll be totally taken in with this books.
I think we owe J K Rowling a lot for these truly magical books (no pun intended)!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the film, 2 Dec 2002
Amazon Customer (Beds UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Stephen Fry is superb in the way he brings Harry and co to life in this unabridged reading. It is long with 6 cassettes, but it moves along at a good pace.
The way Fry plays Lockhart is the best part of the reading. He captures the right voice and tone for this character, much better than Kenneth Branagh in the movie, although to be fair Branagh is not given all the lines. This is the book as written by J K Rowling, every last word.
I would highly recommend this, especially if you have children and are faced by long car journeys.

ARRAY(0xaeb31018)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - 2 July 1998)
9.79