5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for all ages
I love Stephen Fry's reading of this book. Although it is typically recommended for 9 years and up, my daughter, who is just five, is already hooked. Fry's clear reading makes the story easy to follow even for younger listeners.
Published on 22 May 2001 by julia@classicbadges.com

3.0 out of 5 stars bent
I love the book but part of it is bent and has affected each page. Is there anything you can do?
Published 12 months ago by jem

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for all ages, 22 May 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly written piece of fantasy, 6 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) (Hardcover)
I bought Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in a bookshop to read to my two sons (7 and 9), and they were enthralled; my wife could hardly believe her eyes when she interrupted the showdown at the finish and discovered them both sitting bolt upright holding their breath! When we found the Chamber of Secrets in the local library we had to get it out immediately. I found it even better than the first, to the extent that I could not wait to read it at bedtime before finishing it. To my mind it is better paced than the Philosopher's Stone, which I felt was a bit slow in setting up the really exciting bit; the Chamber of Secrets starts to hot up about half way through in a well-judged crescendo. But it is even better at developing the characters, including the ever so vital Hermione, who gets a bit more get-up-and-go just when it's needed. This is not a great children's book; it's just a great book. When the paperback is out, we'll be getting a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fry shoots, he scores!, 4 Jun 2000
By A Customer
I have read all three books and was astounded by the amazing storyline! I have listened to the tapes and in doing so have come to the conclusion that Stephen Fry should be the narrator for all the books. His use of voices for all the different characters alone is enough to keep anyone interested, but combined with J.K Rowling's amazing suspense filled storyline, it is a tape to die for. I just can't wait till the next book comes out on tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun!, 14 Nov 2005
Nadia "Fleet UK" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I fell in love with this series and I’ve listened to the audio books more times than I could possibly count. I wore out the tapes and moved on to CDs.
Stephen Fry is with out a doubt the best narrator I have ever heard, and has won awards for more than one of his Harry Potter readings. He distinguishes between the character’s voices so well, that it really could be an entire cast performance. I find myself smiling in recognition of a character’s voice even before he says whose speaking.
The first two books were the most light-hearted of the series, and there are some truly classic moments in this book. The flying car sequence is excellent, Harry’s valentine had me laughing so much I had to stop the book, and Lockheart is just fantastic. It was equally gripping as Philosopher’s stone. I think the scene in the chamber of secrets is one of the best written sequences in the series. But this book also has a darker side too. I remember the shiver down my spine as I first heard the chilling voice of the Basilisk. I thought the series got better with every book, though I adore them all, but from here onwards, the series becomes a much more complex, deeper and many layered story, so enjoy the fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly fantastic book! ideal for any ocasion!, 24 May 2001
By A Customer
This book has a rather extraodinary cover illustrating a small part of the book where Ron Weasly & Harry Potter return to Hogwarts for their second year. The opening is pretty much the same as the first book where he is living at number 4 privet drive however every thing that happens here is mostly unpredicted basicly its a kind of hell house and every one hates Harry... A paticular strength of the book is that you NEVER know what is going to happen next and if you can manage to put the book down you just cant resist picking it back up again whilst saying to yourself "I'll just read this chapter then lights out" are you kidding? you said thet seven chapters ago!. However all things have a weakness and this one is that if you haven read it for a while you have to go back a few chapters to bring yourself back up to speed. But this book is clearly loved by MILLIONS! becaause it is a triple smarties gold award winner (Well done!!) I reccomend this book to any one who wants to get just abit more out of a book, It takes reading to a whole new level. This book is great for both Male and Female, ages from 6-adult and i definetly recommend that (if you can) you buy ALL the books because they are FANTASTIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Potter cassette, 29 Dec 2001
By A Customer
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the most atmospheric of the books, and so it's the story which transfers best onto cassette. The creepy whisperings of the monster of Slytherin are quite effective but not overdone. It's ideal for listening to in a darkened room. It's a little bit spooky, but only if you let it be. It's not terrifying, and it's not going to scare the kiddies, but with a little imagination from the listener it captures the atmosphere of cold, lonely castle, haunted by an unseen evil, as student by student is picked off. If you only want to buy one Potter cassette, this is the one to go for. Goblet is the better story but it's really too long when transferred unabridged to tape. Stephen Fry reads very well, unpretentiously and without any signs of fatigue despite the length - at 6 cassettes it's hardly short, but it is worth it if you or your kids have time on your hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I alone In thinking this Is the best In the lot?, 21 July 2000
By A Customer
I read this book in 4 days, which I realise Is quite a long time compared to readers (I just can't scan books like most people) When you read this book you realise the the first book In the series "The Phillosophers Stone" was just an introduction and nothing more. "The Chamber of Secrets" develops the characters more and the story has more twists and turns than the first, I also felt this even more of a page turner, It still has the same mysterious type of plot, but the ending Is such a novelty because Harry actually comes face to face with "You know who" I know that most people recognise the third installment as the best (not yet counting the 4th) but I felt In the "Prisoner of Azkaban" the characters just didn't bite as much biscuit. But this certainly didn't put me off and I'm just starting to read the fourth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without doubt, the best book I've ever read!, 26 May 1999
By A Customer
With 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets', J.K.Rowling has grabbed attention from other, more classical-type authors. In this, the 2nd in a series of books which is rapidly expanding in popularity, Harry Potter once again returns to Hogwarts.
At a dinner party of Uncle Vernon's, Harry supposedly throws a huge cake over the kitchen. Harry is then locked in his room, until one night, he and his faithful companion Hedwig are rescued by Ron Weasley and his flying car.
Back in Ron's house(The Burrow), Harry has the best four weeks of his life. He practices Quidditch, spends time with the Weasley family, and although a disasterous journey by Floo powder takes him anywhere but Diagon Alley, enjoys himself more than ever.
In Hogwarts, things run normally. Snape is his nasty self, McGonagall her strict self, and Hermione Granger, best friend of Harry and Ron, her cheerful and caring self(most of the time, anyway).
But then things become very different. Harry begins to hear the voice. The voice from nowhere that nobody can explain. That even Professor Lockhart, famous as much for his smile as for his magic, finds mysterious.
And then it happens. Colin Creevey, a first year escapes with his life, but he is turned to stone. As is Mrs Norris, a third year girl, and... Hermione.
Who is this turning people to stone? Why? How? Could it be Malfoy? Snape? Crabbe or Goyle? No-one has a clue. And the real question is-who will be next on the list...
This book is full of laughs, and also full of surprises. I strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading, and enjoys a laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy them all!, 7 May 2003
By A Customer
Theres not much you can say about the Chamber of Secrets or indeed any of the Harry Potter series that hasn't been said already!
I'm 26 and was very weary of all the outstanding reviews these books have got, and after all they are childrens books. Surely I thought it must be too good to be true. However I bought the first book and WOW! I couldn't put it down, I finished it that day!
My advice would be to buy these books right now! They really are compulsive reading. Whether you are an avid reader or have never read a book before in your life, you'll be totally taken in with this books.
I think we owe J K Rowling a lot for these truly magical books (no pun intended)!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh and listen to the loveable, looney Lockhart!, 29 Oct 2003
Not only does Steven Fry do this ostentatious story justice but also the character Lockhart is the most hilarious thing on audio CD! Phrases like: 'Harry, Harry, Harry', and 'Fame is a fickle friend', gave us hours of tumultuous hysterics. This story is for all ages and despite not being the best of the novels, it is the epitome of family fun, and if you can only buy one set of CDs/tapes this should be the one. J. K. Rowling mixes wit, an intoxicating plot, vivid description and a fascinating culture into an unforgettable experience. This is the ultimate 'must-have' of the audio CD world. Stephen, you have created a masterpiece out of a masterpiece.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - 2 July 1998)
10.43