5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be standard issue for new mothers!
Published on 14 Mar 2006 by Happy Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her pregnancy guide
I agree with the other reviewers that this is an amusing read but it didn't make me cry with laughter like "The Best Friend's Guide to Pregnancy" did. However I am going to try the Toddler book...
Published on 26 Mar 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be standard issue for new mothers!, 14 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Best Friends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood (Paperback)
This warm, funny, intelligent book, is in my mind the reason that I've survived the first year of motherhood (particulary the first 12 weeks) with my sanity intact! I bought my copy through a tear soaked haze when I really needed words of wisdom and comfort and it came through with flying colours. My husband thought I'd lost the plot when he could see tears and fits of laughter as I sat reading this book. I wish I'd had it in the first weeks of being a new mum. I would recommend this book to all first-time mums. Vicki Iovine's sense of humour and honesty is inspiring and the book is packed full of useful and helpful information.
For me the one quote that changed my life as a new mum and my stress levels was ...don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lay down and don't stay awake when you can sleep.... Or words to that effect. This sounds simple enough but it's very hard to do especially when you feel you have to be a supermum and a superwoman but in this book it's explained in such a way that you don't feel that it will make you less then perfect.
If it's not already obvious I simply adored this book and thoroughly recommend it. I've just purchased the next one in the series and I can't say that about any other baby book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible for all new mothers, 17 May 1999
By A Customer
I loved Bestfriends Guide to Pregnancy and I love this book. It isn't full of tips on how to change nappies and bath babies. Instead it's all about being a mother - how wonderful and how exhausting and awful it can be too. I found a lot of comfort in this book when I was feeling tired and miserable in the first few weeks of motherhood. It made me realise that I wasn't the only one who found it tough to begin with. It's written in a friendly good humoured style and is very easy to read. An absolute must for all new mums.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book that keeps your head up!, 5 Sep 2001
By A Customer
The first two months were turned around for me when I realized that I really wasn't the only first time mother going through THAT! Vicki Iovine shares directly, with feeling and also with insight that encourages you to get on anyway. Meant as a human to human book to help you make sense of all that chaos and prove that you are by no means alone in your experience and certainly not an oddity - I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 'must read' for all mums, 27 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This book has it all - it's witty, funny, helpful and most importantly gives an accurate guide to the first year of Motherhood. It even had me laughing out loud when I was suffering from Post natal depression - My son is now 3 and i still enjoy reading her book! The section on colic is particularly good, as is what to tell all those 'know it alls' who bombard you with advice, or crticism about the way you choose to do things.
This book is for all down to earth, normal mothers out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughter is good for you!, 19 May 2001
By A Customer
Not a childcare manual, but an entertaining read. You don't need to have exactly shared Vicki Iovine's experiences to enjoy her descriptions. Most importantly, she assures you that you are a great mother!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for a light hearted look at motherhood, 5 Feb 2001
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having been a new mum it is so easy to take it so seriously that your head aches and you burst into tears every time you fail to grasp something the first time round. This book is the light at the end of the tunnel. It offers some useful advice, like look after yourself first, because it would be a shame to die of exhaustion before your child reaches puberty. Stuff that you really need to be reminded of in those first frantic weeks. It is also funny, which is something else that may seem to have gone by the wayside and needs to be remembered. Life can be fun, babies can be fun! Thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her pregnancy guide, 26 Mar 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars What being a mother is REALLY like, 7 May 2000
By A Customer
There I was, recovering from gastric flu, trying to breast-feed my first baby and feeling thoroughly miserable. This was not how I imagined motherhood to be. In fact, I was so fed up, I'd already left this book unopened for nearly a week. How I wish I'd read it earlier! It really cheered me up and made me laugh out loud. It was informative, honest, practical and funny. They should include this one in the information packs for new mothers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Friend's Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood, 23 Jan 2013
A really funny look at being in that twilight zone known at being a new parent. Laugh out loud. Arrived promptly. I bought this for a friend as I'd read it in the early days myself and cried with laughter at what Vicki says.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a best friend but less hassle!, 26 Sep 2007
Helen J. McLachlan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is on our side: at the front is a top ten list of the biggest shocks of childbirth, and number one is: How nobody ever told you how much it REALLY hurts to have a baby. A lighthearted book that nevertheless gets to grips with baby reality, written by a mum, with extra insight from her group of Best Friends. Real comfort and advice, delivered in a humorous, friendly way.

This quote gives a flavour of the whole book:

"There are three types of new nothers.
1. The type who give birth and resume their lives with confidence, clear thinking and enthusiasm.
2. The type who give birth and wish that a fairy godmother would make the baby disappear and restore them to their former life; and
3. The rest of us.
Traditional wisdom (meaning "male") has long held that the first example is "normal" and what all new mothers should aspire to, and the second is classic postnatal depression, which is somewhat naughty and to be overcome or hidden at all cost, and that the third group doesn't exist.
Here's what the Best Friends and I think: the first group of new mother, the kind who breeze effortlessly through the transition from human to mother,are either incredibly lucky or incredibly unobservant. I mean, how can you experience a metamorphosis from personhood to motherhood without some ambivalence, apprehension or anxiety?"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›