5.0 out of 5 stars '5 stars' are not enough - this book is the gold standard!
The best and most comprehensive book I have read on this subject - and it works superbly for however you wish to use it!
If you are a sufferer, or suspect you may suffer from food allergies, and you are looking for a clear and comprehensive guide to self-treatment, this is the book for you.
If you are a practitioner, and are looking for a clear and detailed...
Published on 13 May 2003 by Lady Fancifull

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot to stomach !
Although the book first appeared to be hitting the nail on the head it then went on to cover a multitude of symptoms and possible theoretic diets.

Personally I took certain details on board but think with normal day to day life it's very difficult to follow the suggestions, although the advice was greatly appreciated.
Published on 2 April 2011 by David Inglis

5.0 out of 5 stars '5 stars' are not enough - this book is the gold standard!, 13 May 2003
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Food Allergy and Intolerance (Paperback)
If you are a practitioner, and are looking for a clear and detailed understanding of these issues, in order to best advise your clients (and my advice would be 'buy this book') this is the book for you
If you are a teacher, and looking for help for a clear way to present information on the subject, this is for you.
If you are fascinated by the politics of the food industry - this is for you - I can't begin to express how horrified I was to discover the extent of the use of food colourings, linked with potentially highly dangerous effects, which have been banned all over Europe and the USA, but which are allowed in the UK. There are some very suspect actions taken by the food industry in this country.
If you admire clearly presented scientific writing, this is for you.
A great read, a great reference text, a survivors kit for many
Beg, borrow, or preferably BUY this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sound scientific coverage of the subject for the layman, 23 Oct 2001
Here is a sound scientific covarage of all aspects of this sometimes controversial area. Professor Brostoff is a leading expert in the field. The book represents excellent value for anyone wishing to get to grips with this subject in a thoroughly scientific and in-depth manner. The authors call into question with weight and conciseness some of the dubious and unscientific 'tests' for 'food intolerance' and explain the methods of known reliability. It is hoped that the book may be updated as evidence emerges for the efficacy, or lack of it, of newer ELISA tests for IgG-mediated intolerances.
The book is inexpensive for so authoritative a tome, but it must be said that the typography is not easy on the eye. A future edition with a better layout in a different typface, even if more expensive, would be welcomed! The best book on the subject, though.
David Boyce
National Eczema Society.

5.0 out of 5 stars an invaluable resource - very highly recommended, 8 May 2006
B. Landsbert (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I fell upon this book quite by accident, but from the moment I picked it up I was hooked. This book is very well written, and done so in a way that makes it incredibly easy to pick up and put down, refer to from time to time or read from beginning to end. This book has been far more use than any GP when attempting to understand and cope with food intolerance and allergies - I wouldn't be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for both professionals and lay people, 3 Jun 2000
This book covers all aspects of food intolerance, why it happens, how it happens, how to treat it, even if you do not know the cause and prevetative treatments. If you suspect you may be food intolerant, this is the book for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars common illness, 16 Jun 2002
By A Customer
I found this book fascinating. Couldn't believe so many common ailments could be caused by food and drink. I have tried some of the suggestions listed in the book for me and my family and have found a great change in our wellbeing.
A must for anyone thinking about changing their lifestyle as it lists foods that may cause upsets and the way you can go about changing your diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every doctor should read this book, 2 July 2010
Alan Skelton (UK) - See all my reviews
Had eczema since birth and also suffer from anxiety and depression.

Have also had stiff aching joints which seemed to be getting worse as I got older. My wife said I sounded like I was 150 years old when I knelt down and I felt like I was.

Doctors and specialist prescribed more and more sterroid creams, moisturisers and eventually protopic (which now has a skin cancer warning).

Had skin prick tests and patch tests but the only things which showed positive was dust mites and the sticky plaster used to hold the patches in place.

Started to exclude a few suggested foods from the book and my eczema is the best it has been for years. I am also more chilled and relaxed and starting to reduce my depression medication, my joint stiffness and pain has also improved considerably.

After my holidays I shall be following the diets in the book to try and improve things even more.

How many more people are suffering needlessly or being prescribed unnecessary and often harmfull drugs.

This book should be compulsary reading for the entire medical proffession.

BUY IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food Intolerence Book, 7 July 2010
Adriana (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Read this book cover to cover as soon as I received it. I have recently been advised to remove Wheat, Gluten, Yeast, Egg and Dairy products from my diet which I initially found incredibly daunting. This book has been a bit of a life saver helping me to understand the problems that can occur due to intolerences and allergies, it gives examples of ordinary people like me who have had to change their diet and have found they are a lot much better. It also details the different ways in which to remove the food groups from your diet. It was very easy to read and not to 'scientific' which means that your average person will find it helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Oct 2011
I have already read alot of this book and it is balanced and gives you a good insight into the difference between allergy and intolerance. It gies good advice and seems well balanced. I have already leant it to a friend with problems!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather old but still relevant, 1 Sep 2011
This book is rather old (reason for 4 stars - ****) but loaded with relevant and in depth information.

The font is quite small, so I needed glasses to read it. Presumably, the publisher wanted a portable, little book to appeal to buyers. I would prefer a bigger font and a bigger book, as the content is very interesting and I may access it frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food intolerance made easy, 3 Mar 2011
An excellent, easily read book. Explains all the main concepts in laymans terms. Definitely a book worth reading if you are interested in learning about food intolerance.

The Complete Guide to Food Allergy and Intolerance
The Complete Guide to Food Allergy and Intolerance by Linda Gamlin (Paperback - 12 Feb 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01