5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
This book is unbelievable. Emma Thompson gives a little look behind the scenes of Sense and SEnsebility. She is warm, true and has a great sense of humor.
She describes everything so lovely and lively, the set, the actors, the hole work.
She gives us a little look into her Private Live, and into the Private lives of the ather actors.
It's funny and for Emma...
Published on 11 Mar. 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Telegraphic diary
Published 22 months ago by Alix

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
It's funny and for Emma Thompson Fans or Alan Rickman Fans it's a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 12 Jun. 2005
This is a witty, fascinating, almost fly-on-the-wall account of what it was like to be involved with making Sense & Sensibility. Emma Thompson manages to make you, the reader, feel so welcome as you go on a day to day journey. She has such an easy style of writing. All the witty one-liners made by various members of the cast/crew are hysterical. You sense the camaraderie and almost feel the stress of working on a big budget production while vicariously enjoying the glamourous world of movies and actors. As an Alan Rickman fan, I was delighted with some of the diary entries which include him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunday 18 June: Watched 'Blind Date' and Picked My Feet, 7 Dec. 2011
Nicholas Casley (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility Screenplay: The Screenplay & Diaries (Hardcover)
This is a review of the original hardback edition of 1995. This square book is dedicated by the author to Jane Austen, Monty Python, and the Magic Roundabout for their services in developing Emma Thompson's sense of humour. The circumstances of its production, of course, revolve around the adaptation of Jane Austen's novel for Ang Lee's film of `Sense and Sensibility'. This was one of the best films of the 1990s and a multi-Oscar winner, although being an excellent film and winning an Academy Award rarely go together.

The book consists of (i) a nine-page introduction by film producer Lindsay Doran, in which she describes the fifteen year process of getting to the stage when filming finally commences; (ii) Thompson's full screenplay; and (iii) Thompson's dairy entries during the production process, in which she was both star and screenwriter. As you would expect, the diary is erudite and witty, and extremely informative about the filmmaking process, probably more so than any book of film theory. Gemma Jones, who played Thompson's mother in the film, expresses the hope that the diary's contents are not going to be libellous. Alas, they are not. I particularly liked the entry for Sunday 18 June: "Watched `Blind Date' and picked my feet."

The book comes with many colour plates of the characters, stars, and settings in the film, as well as a list of locations and full credits.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Feels Like Playing a Fly on the Wall, 8 Sept. 2002
Emma Thompson gives us a glorious account of what was going on behind the scenes in the making of the film. I especially appreciated the little explanations for us ignorants when she used filmmakers' jargon. The most endearing feature about this book is, though, that it makes those giants in the film business look like real people and we like them all the better for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lovely Emma, 9 Oct. 2007
Lizard (London town) - See all my reviews
I love Emma Thompson, and I love Sense and Sensibility (both her film and the Austen novel), so I suppose it's no surprise that I really enjoyed reading this diary. As mentioned in other reviews, the camaraderie and fun had by the cast and crew is apparent, and you can really imagine yourself being a part of it all. Useful and warm insight into the film-making process.

N.B. It was mentioned in another review that this is the screenplay and diary combined, which it isn't! That item is also available on Amazon and I would highly recommend for anyone who loves the film or is interested in screenplay writing, as it's a classic adaptation. Famously hardly any of Austen's original words are used, and yet Thompson manages to create something that is completely faithful to the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat, a treat, A JUICY TREAT!, 23 Dec. 2010
Learn how Ang Lee was locked into a loo, Alan Rickman cursed a cat and Kate Winslet lost her gown.
Bridget Jones-like... but all true!
Juicy anecdotes about your favourite actors - plus a lot of insights on filmmaking in England.
Thanks, Emma Thompson, you're a lovely, lovely, witty girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 11 Jan. 2013
This is a really beautifully presented book, with good quality paper and with the script, photos and diary - a perfect present for any lover of the film (buy if for yourself if thats you!). For me the real highlight is the diary, which is absorbing, funny and moving. Emma Thompsons thoughts are interesting from the point of view of how the film came together, and what the actors and directors went through, and also absolutely hilarious! She really does make you laugh out loud with her observations. Overall highly recommended and something you will want to read over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the diaries, NOT the screenplay., 14 April 2014
Serin6 (Dunmow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For the screenplay as well you need a different book with photos from the film on the front cover.
Diary of making the film is fascinating - I have never been interested in film-world trivia/spin-offs but this is different. Emma Thompson is an engaging diarist, putting in the odd bit of contemplation of character or relationships without weighing down her account of 12 weeks of planning, filming, acting etc. Gave me new insights into the film and the book - I hadn't known there was a duel in it, as she mentions many people don't.

2.0 out of 5 stars Telegraphic diary, 11 May 2013
I ordered this book because I'm a Spanish "Janeite" who adores movies and moviemaking. I expected something more of S+S screenwriter. Maybe I didn't enjoy the book because I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not really interested on how much Emma Thompson ate or drank or slept during the shooting. I love the "making of" staff, for instance I love William Goldman's books about his films and how he gets to write his awesome screenplays. This book has nothing of this. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny, 16 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
The moment I started reading I couldn't stop. It is a very funny and yet very sincere book. If you watched S&S, you need to read it, as it will give you a a wonderful view of all that has been going on behind the scenes and therefore make the whole movie even more memorable.
If you think that being an actor is putting on some makeup and clothes and lots of red carpet glory, Emma Thompson will feed you the truth with delightful sincereity.
Thank you Emma for this brilliant book!

Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility Screenplay: The Screenplay & Diaries