5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I ever read...really.
Published on 29 Jun 2007 by Linda

2.0 out of 5 stars Well written but repetitive and superficial
The relationship between Hutton and Mercury was unusual and potentially interesting. This seems an honest enough account, but although well written, it's a book without much substance. And perhaps that's the way it should be. I wasn't expecting confidences to be broken or secrets revealed and most of us are familiar with Freddie's reputation for excess. There's a lot...
Published 2 months ago by Bookie

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I ever read...really., 29 Jun 2007
Linda (Long Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Paperback)
What a book. It's the kind of book that you feel like you are there with them and you live it. Jim Hutton was extremely generous sharing this wonderful story with us. I do wonder if Freddie would have approved I think not. But the love Jim had for Freddie is lovingly poured into this book. Mary's cold and rude behavior at the end to me is unforgiveable. What a shame. Her true self came through and I felt Freddie would have never forgiven her for it. Jilted lovers, YUK. Anyways a great read and worth every cent and then some...

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 20 Sep 2006
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Hardcover)
After Freddie's death in 1991 I sought out and read a lot of books about Queen. After reading Jacky Gunn's As It Began all the others seemed pretty run-of-the-mill, rehashing old facts and stories about Queen and their leader. It was only when this book came out a year or two later that I really read something of his life that I hadn't heard before. This is a well written account of Jim Hutton's time with Freddie Mercury- the love, the arguments, the pain and the happiness. I was eleven when Freddie died and although I grieved for him I never wept- until I read this book. It is a very touching and honest read and when the inevitable comes it hits you for six- reading about the pain that he went through in his final years. As for the passages about Mary Austin and her behaviour I'm a little unsure as to what to think. This book doesn't exactly paint her in the best light but she and Freddie were close for many years and she supported him financially and in other ways when he was trying to get the band off the ground. I'm sure Freddie loved her and she loved him too- it was only his sexuality that got in the way of them really being together. Maybe Jim Hutton felt a certain amount of resentment about their close relationship. Also included in this book are some wonderful photos of Freddie- including the last picture that he ever posed for. I can assure you that even the most hard-hearted of Queen fans will be in tears at this end of this book. It's not exactly feel-good but it is very nice to know that even though he suffered he was surrounded by a close unit of well caring and dedicated friends who were there with him to the end. I remember seeing Jim Hutton giving interviews to promote the book on its release and the thing that was always mentioned was that Freddie died in his arms. This has been discounted by more than a few people and Jim Hutton certainly doesn't make a big thing of it in the book. Alas, read and enjoy and if you don't already know about the sad goings-on that happened behind closed doors at the end you will be thoroughly taken aback as to how truly tortorous his demise really was.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most touching books I ever read, 23 Nov 2005
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Hardcover)
When I started reading this book I was pretty sceptical. As a long time Freddie fan I was very surprised and touched by the warm memories of Jim Hutton. One thing is certain to me: he deeply loved Freddie. The last part of the book was very sad and depressing, not only Freddie's death, but also the cold behaviour of Mary. I guess Freddie would turn around in his grave if he knew this. Wish I could contact Jim personally, but if he reads this, I want to thank him from the heart for everything he did for Freddie. Hope Jim is still alive and doing well. Does anybody know???? Anyway, wish you the best, Jim. May the spirits of the Universe be with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars intriguing and touching, is it all true?, 9 Aug 2004
Valeria Del Prete "doublethumb" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
As soon as I started reading this book I could not stop. As most reviewers pointed out, it really captures the attention of the reader and triggers the curiosity and eagerness to go on. As the title states this book is focused on the personal relationship between Freddie Mercury and Jim Hutton, who was his gardener, barber and lover since 1985 up to Freddie's death in November 1991.
Therefore this is NOT a biography of the flamboyant singer of QUEEN, and all the information about Freddie is filtered through the subjective view of Jim Hutton. As a matter of fact, Jim's own life and feelings are given a major role. Yet the narrative style is remarkably raw : the author does not dwell on lyricism and romantic fits; at the same time he does not mince words about Freddie's sexual appetite and habit to try and manipulate people (incuding jim hutton), as well as about the singer's insecurities and need of reassurance and love.
Freddie's fits of generosity and his infectious playfulness are also sketched in a clever way, and the tormented alternation of attraction, jealousy, break-ups and reconciliations completes the picture of the entangled relationship and of the complex personalities of the two lovers. The bare style and the realism of some descriptions remains what makes the book most appealing, in my opinion, even though one might wonder whether the truth has been coloured for "scoop" purposes. It is reasonable to believe that most of the anecdotes and details can be trusted, and the book has some pages of remarkable intensity.
At the end of the day this remains the only book relating explicitly about Freddie's intimate life with one of his long-term lovers, and showing the hidden sides of the singer's personality.
Whether or not such revelations are something that Freddie would approve is a question nobody will be able to answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Genuine Read!!!, 7 Sep 2005
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Paperback)
I've been fortunate enough to have met and got to know Jim Hutton, I had my doubts about some of the things that where disclosed to me about the lifestyle and personal goings on of Freddy. But having read the book and getting to know Jim very well, I've no doubts about anything in the book been true. An absolute GREAT and HONEST read From a Genuine man!! Well Worth the read for the true fan!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent insight into the greatest performer's life, 8 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Paperback)
After reading this book, it has made me approach Freddie's work in a totally different way. Before reaing this I wasn't aware of how much of an act Freddie used to put on - now I see how much "The Great Pretender" was relevant. What surprised me the most is how ordinary Freddie seemed away from the public eye - this book is a essential read for any Freddie/Queen fan. I'd give it 10 stars if I could!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling read, 1 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Paperback)
I found this book a wonderful read. The minute I started reading, I couldn't put it down. It goes into detail about the daily life of Freddie Mercury, and his relationships with the people around him, including his lover Jim Hutton and ex-girlfriend Mary Austin. A must-have for any Freddie Mercury fan - you won't be disappointed, and it certainly gave me some insight and knowledge into the world of that flamboyant star, in which I was yearning for. It was a great book and I'll probably read it again, even though it is a sad story, and guaranteed to give you a lump in the throat - if you are a sensitive Queen fan or love Freddie as much as I do!

5.0 out of 5 stars A honest book, 30 Sep 2009
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Hardcover)
15 years after the first edition of this book I eventually got my hands on it.
And it was a pleasure to read - it told me about another, very private sight, of Freddie Mercury and his lover/husband Jim Hutton.
I saw the videos of Mary, and Peter Freestone/Freddie's friends, made by the "Torpedo Twins" at youtube (The Untold Story) but interviews with Jim Hutton are very rare and mostly also very short.

Dear Jim,
I love you for writing this book and sharing your sight of your life with Freddie.
And I love you for your honesty - I don't think you or Tim Wapshott messed up anything.
I'm very sorry for you and Peter and Joe - the way it went wasn't that what Freddie wanted for you, that's clear as a Koi pond....
I hope you're fine and found some peace at heart.
And a (bad) translation from Tagore (famous indian poet):"Beautiful days - don't cry that they are gone - but smile that they have been...."
That's my most helpful thought at every single bad time.
You had have the love of your life - you've been loved too. ;-)
Best wishes and lots of love
Sabine

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a Kind of Magic, 20 Aug 2002
Deb Dominy (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Paperback)
I found this book excellent. I love reading biographies and am also a Queen fan so this seemed perfect. Once I picked up the book I found I could not put it down. Jim's portrayal of his life with Freddie was written so well I almost felt that I was actually there. I found him very fair in the way he wrote about other members within the Mercury household and also of himself.
I laughed out loud on several occasions and was also very moved whilst reading of the last days of Freddie's life and ultimate death.
The book mainly concentrates on Freddie's relationship with Jim but also includes others around him at the time. It tells of the highs and lows of their friendship, their travels and their everyday life.
One light-hearted moment was that to ease the tension when recording the band often made up funny lyrics to their songs. One of those changed was 'One Vision' to 'Fried Chicken'. If you listen to the last line of 'One Vision' the words have been changed to 'Gimme Gimme Gimme Fried Chicken'!
I highly recommend this book - finding it easy to read, absorbing and hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can understand his need to write his story., 15 Mar 2008
This review is from: Mercury and Me (Paperback)
I can understand why Jim would need to put his feelings down in words as he went from sharing his life with an amazing person, to being left out of most things when Freddie had gone and being on his own with the awful disease. It was sad to hear of him standing outside Freddie's gate with all the other fans just to feel near Freddie and wanting to see the cats he had looked after. He seems like quite a genuine person. I was looking forward to reading this and wasn't disappointed.

Mercury and Me
Mercury and Me by Tim Wapshott (Paperback - 7 July 1995)
4.99