5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Recipe book from a Forgotten Master
I used to work with a Bank Manager who went on to become a Chef. I asked her what would be a good recipe book for a Christmas present and, without hesitation, she recommended this.
Asking around about Robert Carrier (I was only 23 when he died), I heard that his recipes were like Alfa Romeo's; either worked perfectly or they were a disaster.

As I am lucky...
Published on 14 Nov 2010 by Magic Lemur

3.0 out of 5 stars It is OK but...
Published 14 months ago by Wil Andersen

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Recipe book from a Forgotten Master, 14 Nov 2010
Magic Lemur (Somewhere in Madagascar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Best of Robert Carrier (Hardcover)

As I am lucky to have a mother who is an excellent cook (what mother isn't?), I gave this as a present to her & she has used it regularly ever since.
Though my sense of taste is poor, all the food that has been cooked from this book has been distinctive & had some interesting flavors to it. The texture of the food is also interesting & I've found the recipe's rarely fail to impress.

Added to this, the book is one of those exceedingly handy volumes that is indexed into different main ingredients (e.g. 'Lamb', 'Pork' and 'Poultry and Game'), but also with sections on 'Starters & Light Luncheons', 'Salads' and 'Sweets & Puddings'. As you can imagine, this comes in useful when looking for something to make with fridge remainders!

As a bonus this is a 'Best of' book, consisting of 250 of his best recipes (gathered over many years) which definitely comes across in the food. All of the recipe's I've tried from the book have a strong French charactor to them & Robert Carrier's personality comes across very strongly in the wording of the book (e.g. at the beginning of each section & on the occasional recipe he comments on).

And with regard to the Alfa Romeo tendencies, I am reliably informed that the recipe's can be varied a great deal without the balance of flavours being ruined.

The one drawback is that there are no photographs. There are line drawings of Pots, Fish, etc, but pictures would have been nice, to make the book perfect.

So, if you're looking to get an excellent cookery book, this comes recommended from myself & my mother as being a cut above the rest & I can see why my former colleague was so confident in her recommendation of it.
If only I could find her again and get a second recommendation...

5.0 out of 5 stars The master, 8 July 2014
This review is from: The Best of Robert Carrier (Hardcover)
One of my favourite cooks and great recipes as usual

3.0 out of 5 stars It is OK but..., 24 Oct 2013
Wil Andersen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Robert Carrier (Hardcover)
.. it seems to reflect a different world. I am 70 and the food I really enjoy now is the diverse food of the world that is so available to us but also the the new cuisines that have been "restructured" so that we can cook them at home without investing in expensive equipment. The interest in vegetarian food etc. The delight in light, fresh dishes. And I do all the cooking in the house and always have so anything simple and quick but also thoroughly enjoyable is always welcome.

My own experience of Carrier is very limited. Of course I knew his name - who doesn't? - but I had not cooked from his recipes - or even really looked at them. I bought three of his books just recently because I felt I should know more - given his great reputation. The presentation was excellent, the recipes clearly described and sounded excellent - but I only wanted to cook a couple or so. It seemed like food from a past era and more complicated than was necessary.

I don't like writing this review (why am I doing it? - well like writing reviews of cookery books I guess and am self-indulgent) and possibly I am being wholly unfair - but it all seemed to reflect a different world to the world we now live - and above all - eat in.

Just come back to add to this - I was commenting on his English/European cookbooks - I should also say that I think his Moroccan cookbook is absolutely outstanding - and should be on everybody's shelves if they have any interest in cooking from that region. The large format hardback is a wonderful book to have on your selves - great book production and wonderful photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Best of Robert Carrier (Hardcover)
Lovely illustrations & easy to follow recipes, my old Robert Carrier books have gradually disintegrated over the year due to frequent use, so it was time to replace. Though a used book it is in very good condition at a ridiculously inexpensive price. I thoroughly recommend this seller.

The Best of Robert Carrier
The Best of Robert Carrier by Robert Carrier (Hardcover - 8 Dec 1994)
Used & New from: £0.01