on 3 February 2011
I bought this for my wife as a replacement to one that had literally fallen apart with use: It's one of the best vegetarian cookbooks ever written with recipes you want to return to again and again.
on 7 May 2014
Overall, this cook book was a good place for me to start. Having recently turned vegetarian and with little experience in the kitchen, I needed a range of meals that would be fairly quick and easy for me to do and that would stop me becoming bored and going back to meat. Although some of the recipes may seem a little dated, the majority have stood the test of time. There are also some recipes for more experienced cooks and/or those willing to put in a bit more time than me. Not bad for my first cook book.
on 1 March 2015
Bought this book when I first turned veggie, sadly leant it out once to often and it never came back. Seeing it again reminded me of all the great recipes and although some of the products have slightly changed (mostly for the better) it still stands up for a range of great meat free dishes without too much fuss or bother.
on 20 June 2016
Just what I was looking for. Easy healthy cooking.
on 19 February 2013
.....and this book certainly isn't !!

From what I have read about this book products such as Quorn, TVP etc were just starting to become widely available. And despite the success of Peter Cox's book “why you don't need meat”, no publisher was initially interested in this book, as they claimed books without meat wouldn't sell.

Having said that, it has a conversion chart both front and back, it is full of substitutions for protein, and all the useful things you can have in your kitchen cupboards that are widely available from local shops and superstores. It covers all the things from fruit and veg, to nuts, legumes, grains, as well as the “eat well plate” of protein, carbs, fruit & veg, dairy and fats....... and vitamins and minerals. And all this is covered from page 6 to page 49.

The recipes are not only in their sections (soups, snacks, main courses etc), but they are also in alphabetical order. Not all the recipes use TVP etc, there are quite a lot of veg dishes too. In the “main courses” section there is a “good source of...” listed under the recipes. And even though a lot of dairy is used throughout the book, the front section mentions about using low fat sources of dairy, but I suppose dairy free substitutions can also be used as well.

All-in-all I would say that considering that this was 1 of the earlier vegetarian cookbooks it is a very good book, but then again I like it anyway whether it was an earlier book, or not. I reckon it is full of yummy, delicious recipes and I personally can't wait to start using it.
on 3 September 2015
more veggie food to eat.
on 4 March 2016