5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to learning Turkish
If you enjoy learning languages with the aid of tapes, then this is THE ONE for you. The gradual build-up and repeated drill approach is perfect for grasping this 'strange' sounding, un-European language.
Published on 3 Sept. 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited use for the tourist/holidaymaker
I made a concerted effort with this course before heading off on my first Turkish holiday. The course, while very useful for pronounciation, hearing how the language worked etc. was of limited use in a number of (to me) very important areas.
Published on 2 Sept. 2005 by Mr. P. G. Briggs

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to learning Turkish, 3 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
You can follow the tapes with or without the book. You get a thorough drill of the key language and new vocab. Then you follow some longer dialogues which set the vocab in context. And lastly, you get to practice what you've learnt with various exercises. This powerful combination serves to consolidate your learning effectively.
I've also tried the Berlitz & BBC phrase books with tapes. The Berlitz tape has phrases as well as practical exercises but they are diffcult to follow unless you have photographic memory. There's no script to follow with the tape so you have to skip all over the book.
The BBC tape does have an easy to follow script and contains a slightly broader range of phrases/vocab than PDQ. However, it's basically a parrot learning excercise so you need to go through the tape a few times. Like PDQ, it builds up gradually.
Overall however, the PQD wins as the best inroduction to learning Turkish because of its friendly, encouraging approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tapes - high quality printed material, 18 July 2001
intentionally_blank (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
This really is good for keen beginners. It starts off easy and by tape three new, interesting and RELEVANT phrases are introduced. I've got many Turkish language tapes and the Linguaphone course is by far the easiest, most useful and best quality. The sound production is excellent and the accompanying printed material is easy to read and surprisingly colourful - more akin to the French and more traditional European language textbooks.
This is a good course - it's just a shame it stops at four tapes, they really should bring out an intermediate and advanced course too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start, 13 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
A man I know who moved out to live in Tukey a while ago recommended this product to me and I've found it really helpful. I was a bit concerned about the price of it at first, but you do get four CD's and a useful book with the product so I think its worth it.

I started learning the language basically only knowing the words please and pardon, but after only 4 days I am pleased to say that I can speak and understand many key words and phrases and up to the number 49. Despite the fact that Turkish seemed an almost impossible language to learn, or at least it did when i was on holiday. Linguaphone PDQ Turkish pronounce the words clearly so it is easy to understand. They also include many tips which make remembering the words easier.

The CD's are broken down into short tracks which you either learn about 25 words or phrases at a time or get tested on what you have allready learned.

This product gets 5 out of 5 stars from me as it is a brilliant introduction to the language and has great phrases to learn for normal every day circumstances. However you would need something more advanced after this course I think (although I have only completed CD1 so far) because like it says in the other reviews it doesn't include everything. I'm sure there will be quite a few other key phrases that it doesn't include, but to be honest I wouldn't be able to learn them all if i was overfaced with too much.

I think this is a great introduction to the Turkish language even for a 15 year old student like me who really struggled with French which is generally a lot easier then Turkish. Though just because someone my age found it easy, doesn't mean that someone a lot older would :P My mum wouldn't have a clue.

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me and my family!, 12 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
This is a reasonably good course for a beginner to the Turkish Language. Although, as others have said it seems unsure who it is aimed at. I would have preferred vocabulary that was more orientated to Tourist situations. The course covered some of these, but also lapsed into business language with a man visiting a Business Conference and trying to explain what type of house he had in England and whether it had a garage and a garden. Don't be put off by this because it does teach you the basics very well (it only gets more complicated into CD 3 & 4).

I loaded the tracks onto my mp3 player and listened to them every day for about 6 months before our family holiday to Turkey. I also played the CDs in the car. My wife is not usually good at picking up languages, but she did really well on holiday in Turkey. Our ability to speak a little Turkish opened up several doors and we made some good friends. All the Turkish people were impressed by our pronounciation and a few of them actually thought that I was Turkish. It was a bit frustrating that the only greeting in the book was "hello" we had to learn how to say "good morning", "good afternoon", etc. from the Turkish people.

I am always keen to learn at least some of the language when I visit a country. I do count on the fact that English is becoming a universal language, but I recognise that it is better to start any conversation with a few words in the native tongue before ducking out and asking "Do you speak English?". In this respect the course worked very well and at the price I would thoroughly recommended it.

5.0 out of 5 stars linguaphone, 31 Oct. 2003
anne mcdougall (sutton coldfield, west midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
Like others I have also used the bbc course,which I found to be a bit too basic, the linguaphone is ideal for beginners but takes you further

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the complete beginer, 8 Aug. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
After trying another Turkish audio pack without success I bought this one and found it to be much better. I would recommend it to the complete beginer. The book is easy to follow and the repetetive nature of the audio CD's mean you quickly pick up new words and phrases. I found it very encouraging and helps to build confidence even if your not very good at learning languages. As an introduction to Turkish its great, in three weeks I have already learnt over 100 words!

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited use for the tourist/holidaymaker, 2 Sept. 2005
Mr. P. G. Briggs (Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
Ordering drinks - "A coffee" "A Tea" and "A beer please" were just about all that were included. A lack of typical situations.
There was a noticeable lack of appropriate greetings for different times of the day.
The 4 CDs contained information that could have easily been condensed into 2 - too much repetition.
The course book was superficial to say the least.
I couldn't work out who the course was aimed at - not much use on business, limited for holiday situations. More a miscellaneous hotchpotch of "stuff".
No real structure.
Work making the effort if you are going to Turkey however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to learn Turkish, 13 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
As a total novice to Turkish I have found this CD very useful. Very easy to follow, very clear and lots of repetition so the language really sinks in.

Overall excellent way to learn Turkish!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good grounding, 9 May 2011
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
This is a good introduction to basic "survival" Turkish, oriented slightly more towards the business traveller than the tourist. There are eight lessons, with new vocabulary and structures introduced and practised by means of well-constructed exercises. The strongest point for me is the pronunciation examples and practice on the four CDs: an essential part of the course. This should give a solid grounding for further work in Turkish, as well as being helpful as a basic traveller's aid.

4.0 out of 5 stars pdq turkish, 9 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) (Audio CD)
This was money well spent,i have picked up words and phrases i did not know before,as i do know alittle turkish before purchasing this set.I have since put the whole programme consisting of four cds onto my mp3 player and listen to it no matter where i maybe.the only little draw back was they occasionally speak alittle too fast on long words but this is not a big problem as you can just rewind and pickup the word again.I would recommend this programme for beginners but dont expect to be fluent in turkish after completing the course, but it will certainly help you get by if on holiday.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs)
Linguaphone PDQ Turkish (includes 4 CDs) by Cigdem Balim-Hardin (Audio CD - Dec. 2001)
Used & New from: £16.75