on 22 June 2003
As an inexperience cook I previously approached Indian home cooking with caution. After buying this book and launching myself into the recipes I can say that I have transformed my view! The layout of the recipes I find to be clear and straightfoward, the guide at the front as to the ingredients and cooking utensils is invaluable to a beginner, even if you are fairly accustomed to using some of the spices and vegetables etc. I have rarely been so entranced with the smell of cooking spices as with doing these recipes, I was amazed at how everything blended so well. In particular, the rather bland sounding combination of potato and cauliflower was astounding for the way all the tastes combined to make a delicious and flavoursome curry, and easy to make to boot!
The only serious quibble I find I have is with some of the ingredients and cooking utensils required. To be fair, Mr Sreedharan does give alternatives where possible. However if, like me, you live some distance from any Indian food and grocery shops then items like fresh curry leaves (which are used in the majority of recipes) are impossible to get hold of, although I have found that most dried goods can be ordered via internet stores. The Bar Snacks and Tiffin recipe sections in particular include utensils that I have not been able to find.
That said I still award it five stars, the recipes are bright, vibrant and an absolute pleasure to cook as well as to eat!
on 26 March 2003
This cookery book is written by the owner of the Rasa restaurants in London. The recipes are mostly from southern India and make quite a lot of use of coconut, as well as southern spices (and rice!). There are some really novel and interesting recipes in here, even one for a gooseberry curry and a garlic curry. I would recommend the book, but I found the constant mention of his restaurants, the chef in his restaurants, the clients of his restaurants and his restaurants to be rather annoying! A good book somewhat spoiled by self promotion.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2007
I expected more from this offering from the man who is supposedly providing Londoners with the definitive South Indian Experience. The recipes were sparse, lacked vital ingredients and the pictures were the most unappetizing I'd seen in a long time.
I definitely wouldn't buy this book. For South Indian vegetarian cuisine you should be looking at Chandra Padmanabhan's marvellous book(which never disappoints), and for authentic Kerala cooking (which is a meat and fish eating community anyway,) try Mrs K.M. Mathew's tome.
on 5 January 2007
I admit from the outset that I am an avid cook book collector and cook. So,it is no suprise really that this was a 'must have' book for me despite the other dozen or so Indian cook books on my groaning bookshelves!

The recipes are well written and simple to follow, yeilding reliable and most enjoyable results.It makes a wonderful change to the anglocised Inidan cook books out there. This is real Indian food, not your usual take away offering.

Some of the ingrediants and equipemt might be a little tricky if you dont have local ethnic shops, but the hunt is well worth the end result.

My only criticism of this book is that there are not enough pictures! I know its wildly more expensive to publish with lots of pictures, but I would be happy to pay twice the price to have a picture for each recipe. Most of us would not know what the end results would look like, so not only are the pictures attractive and inspiring, but they are also such a good guide.
on 2 August 2001
A great book with great recipes and beautiful photographs (unfortunately not always of the recipes). If you've eaten in any of the Rasa restaurants then its worth getting to recreate the food at home. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is there isn't enough detail on the background to the recipes and there aren't that many of them. Get it if you already have "The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking" by Yamuna Devi.
Being vegetarian and loving indian food it seems this book was made for me. The recipies are not only simple to follow and delectable once made but the stories behind each recipie add a wonderfully personal touch that complements the style of the book. This is not a book just for vegetarians. Its for all cooks who enjoy good food, simple to follow instructions and a touch of spice. The photos are enough to make you drool!
on 19 March 2014
Excellent book, Delicious South Indian dishes and all vegetarian! Bought from Brit Books - first package apparently lost but they sent a replacement without dispute and dealt with the problem in a friendly and efficient way. Overall, very happy with both the product and the service.
on 28 April 2015
Features some of the favorites dishes from Rasa restaurant, and has some good ideas to add to my cooking skills ;-)
on 28 November 2002
Having eaten in some of the Rasa restaurants of the author I was a little sceptical that I'd be able to turn out dishes that matched up to the fabulous creations Das Sreedharan and his staff produce. However, the recipes work brilliantly and are very easy to follow and have never failed. Just start at the beginning and a tasty dish comes out at the other end....
on 29 February 2016