5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
This is my third Martina Cole book having already read `The Know' and `The Ladykiller'. As with the other two books `The Take' sucks you in from page on and gives you an indepth look at the life of all the characters.

Published on 15 Aug 2006 by O. Doyle

2.0 out of 5 stars Mildly entertaining...
Published on 18 Jan 2006 by Carolyn O'brien

2.0 out of 5 stars Mildly entertaining..., 18 Jan 2006
Carolyn O'brien "cazolyn" (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Take (Hardcover)
I massively enjoyed Martina Cole’s earlier books, among the best of which were 'The Ladykiller' and 'Broken.' They were fast paced page turners with zippy dialogue and rounded 3D characters, so often missing in the Crime/Thriller genre when the bad are bad and the good Godly. In 'The Take' and, I've noticed, the last few of Coles novels, the story lacks punch. The plot plods along, the characters are clichéd and their gripes repeated throughout the book. I found myself skipping chunks of character meanderings as the same ground is covered again and again. Characters who seem central to plot are written off in a disappointingly anti-climatic way, and the endless justification of the life choices of these “hard grafting” drug dealers and murderers is grating. I found myself struggling to get through the final 10 pages, and the ending was predictably non memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 15 Aug 2006
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Take (Paperback)

As with her other books The Take is set in the East End of London and The Take follows the lives of the Jacksons. Freddie Jackson has just been released from a stint in prison and is determined to climb the criminal ladder as quickly as possible having made all the right connections while behind bars. At his side is his loyal cousin Jimmy.

I won't say too much about what happens as that always ruins a book for me but I will say that this is one of the best books I've read in a while and I'm quickly becoming a Martina Cole addict. True as some others have said there is graphic violence and bad language but that is the way Martina Cole writes and I can't imagine too many East End hardmen with a posh accent and their pinky up when they lift their cup.

All in all this is an excellent story and I was gripped from page on until I reached the last page. Now I'm on the hunt for the next injection of Martina Cole.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Take, 24 Oct 2005
Mrs T Faulkner (Sheffield, S Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Take (Hardcover)
Another classic Martina Cole book. I read this in one weekend as I couldn't put it down. Once again Martina has capture the atmosphere superbly. You can almost see the characters in the room. Having read all other Martina Cole books this one has not dissapointed me. It is fantasic insight into the other world of gangsters, prostitution, killing and drugs.

2.0 out of 5 stars THE TAKE, 31 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Take (Hardcover)
I THOUGHT THIS BOOK WAS THE WORST ONE THAT MARTINA COLE HAS EVER WRITTEN. THE STORY WAS WEAK BETWEEN TWO SISTERS, ONE A DRUNK AND DRUG ABUSER AND ONE A RESPECTED SORT AND THEIR HUSBANDS WHO ARE VILLANS. THE STORY KEPT GOING OVER THE SAME ISSUES THROUGHOUT AND IF ANYONE IS A FAN OF MARTINA COLE [WHICH I AM] WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS BOOK SHOULD THEY CHOOSE TO BUY IT. VERY DISAPPOINTING TO SAY THE LEAST!!!ENOUGH SAID.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old, 15 Nov 2008
A. Douglas (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Take (Paperback)
I have had this book on my bookcase for a few years and decided to finally read it. I have read lots of Martina Cole books and was worried that this one would pretty much be just like all the others and unfortunately it is. The plot is predictable and so are the characters. There are so many other authors out there that are much more original that Martina now. I think I will stick with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Poor Writing, 10 July 2009
This review is from: The Take (Paperback)
I cannot identify one redeeming feature of this book! Have to say, this is a bit of a first for me...

Where to start?

Well, I know the genre isn't known for the elegance of its metaphors and the complexity of its characters but this books takes things a little too far. The characters are one dimensional parodies who I struggled to take seriously at all. Their internal emotional dialogues reminded me of an Oprah style therapy session. After 3 chapters I was starting to understand.. Jackie can't live without Freddie.. woo de doo, fantastic revelation... hmm.

The plot was somewhat lacking. In fact, nothing really seemed to happen at all aside from a few episodes of badly written violence (can someone explain what turning his face to mars bars means???). None of the characters seemed to have any redeeming features which got a little boring quite quickly.

I can understand why this has made such a good TV show in the same way that the Da Vinci Code did. The clunky narrative and trite dialogue lend themselves more effectively to a screen play than a novel.

All in all, not pleasant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected., 9 April 2006
This review is from: The Take (Hardcover)
I've read all of Martina's books and this one is no where near as good. I got a paperback copy at the airport and couldn't wait to start reading it.
The story repeatred itself and there wasn't really a plot. The characters became annoying as the story grew. I was disappointed and had to really struggle to get through the 600+ pages. I didn't enjoy her last book either so I hope there's better to come.
My favourite books of hers are Goodnight Lady, Maura's Game and Dangerous Lady.

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes even the Sky adaptation look great!, 21 July 2009
kovacs-san (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Take (Paperback)
I watched the Sky adaptation of The Take as the cast looked good - unfortunately they were let down by their material. Then, in a spirit of "the book is always better than a TV/film adaptation" I bought and read the book.

It was awful - I found it to be very poorly written with no coherent or engaging plot, no depth to the characters and a limited amount of variable descriptive narrative. The dialogue was poor and extraordinarily cliched. The book could be described as "cliche, cliche, cockney rhyming slang, cliche, turn page... cliche, cockney rhyming slang ad infinitum".

I appreciate that the characters would not be afraid of using rhyming slang or huge amounts of swearing and obscene language but the non-dialogue parts are also like this. All in all this was the first and last Martina Cole novel I will read and I can't wait to take my copy of the book to the charity shop - although it may be more charitable to bin it. If I could give this 0 stars then I would.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter tripe, 3 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Take (Paperback)
This is the first Martine Cole book I have read and will probably be the last. I found this book boring and repetitive. Ms Cole must think her readers have the attention span of a goldfish, she repeated the same details several times over two pages, and then again throughout the book. How many times did we need to be told that Jackie was a dirty slob, etc etc! I couldn't have cared less about her characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to explain, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Take (Paperback)
I actually am reading this because i watched the sky series on television.
I started the book excited -- i couldnt wait to see the real source of the amazing characters portrayed in the series.

However... I have to say .. i found it lacking some what - The plot was quite slow.. almost mundane... it never seemed to pick up ... When watching the series there was always that moment when Freddie would tip over the edge ..u could see it in his eyes and suddenly disaster would strike!
But i didnt get that in the book - I didnt have the momentus feeling when Freddie really let rip.
It was almost like he wasnt actually that bad.
A Shame really.
Seems like the actors have taken the book and really improved it.
Sorry. But i wouldn recommend reading and would recommend watching on this occasion.

The Take
The Take by Martina Cole (Hardcover - 6 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01