5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!! Intense, excellent book
Here's a book that has gotten a bumm rap here on Amazon from some other reviewers. I almost didn't read it because of the negative reviews. I'm so glad I ignored them and read it anyway. This ended up being one of the best books I've ever read.

Published on 5 Jan 2008 by Mary Chrapliwy

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing from a very talented author!
After having been a devoted fan of James Patterson's books, and not only his Alex Cross and "Women's Murder Club" series, I was terribly disappointed and frustrated with this book. I bought it without having read the synopsis, since at the time I automatically pre-ordered all Patterson's novels.

The book seemed to hold some promise at the beginning, but any...
Published on 3 Nov 2007 by Sissel M. Østdahl

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!! Intense, excellent book, 5 Jan 2008
Mary Chrapliwy (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Cradle and All (Paperback)

I've read quite a bit of James Patterson -- this book is decidedly different from many that I've read. This is not the usual good guy vs. bad, evil, murderer guy. This is a story about two girls who are pregnant virgins -- one in the US and one in Ireland. It's confirmed that they are indeed "intact" and are virgins. Both are being watched by the Catholic church and it's investigators because it has been prophesied that one child will be the saviour of mankind while the other will be the child of the devil himself. Which is which? Both girls are sweet & endearing, both would seem to be the perfect picture of a virgin mother.

This book has the classic Patterson breathless suspense well populated with a good relationship story, peppered with a great good vs. evil plot. You grow to care about the characters and what happens to them. There is that classic Patterson twist in the story as well. Don't miss this incredible story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing from a very talented author!, 3 Nov 2007
Sissel M. Østdahl "smaureen" (Norway) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

The book seemed to hold some promise at the beginning, but any hope of improvement quickly dissolved. To me the whole idea was strange. Two 15 year old virgins, one supposed to be pregnant with God's child, the other with the child of the Devil! One girl comes from a rich American family, the other from a poor Irish village. The pregnancies are followed closely by the catholic church, in order to find out which girl is giving birth to the Saviour and vice versa.

At the same time the world is struck with plagues and disasters, a further sign of a threatening struggle between good and evil.

I have never liked religious fantasies, and found this book simply awful. Religion mixed with supernatural phenomena and media frenzy. The powerful Vatican and almost hysterical worship by Irish catholics. A nun turned detective did not sit well either. An attempt at something new, perhaps, but not a successful one.

When I read this book, I had of course come to rely on James Patterson for first class intelligent entertainment, masterfully written. The more huge the disappointment.

There have been other Patterson disappointments after this one, most of them written together with co-authors or, to my knowledge, only edited by Patterson and carrying his name on the cover. "Step on a Crack" together with Michael Ledwidge is the first book I have enjoyed the last couple of years. Far from Patterson on top form, but passable.

How I wish James Patterson would get back to write as he did when he gave us red roses, blue violets etc. Such a talented author and all this rubbish. Sad.

The book jacket is very beautiful though.

4.0 out of 5 stars I started as a non-believer now I'm converted, 28 April 2001
This review is from: Cradle and All (Paperback)
This is another 'off the wall' novel by the creator of 'Alex Cross. I always find it strange that he can write hard-hitting crime-fighting, novels such as 'Jack and Jill, Kiss the Girls' then write bizarre books like 'When the wind Blows' and Cradle & All'. However, I did find that I liked 'Cradle and All' far more than 'When the wind blows' and towards the end I was galloping through the pages to find out who the real virgin was. Its a strange story about two young girls, Colleen from a poor family in Ireland and Kathleen from an affluent family in America, who both claim to be pregnant but still virgins. Plagues and disease are striking the population world wide and children are dying of polio. Eighty years prior, the 'Secret of Fatima' had warned the Church of these famines and plagues forcasting that the only way to stop it was to find the devine child and the virgin mother. The Vatican call on Father Nicholas Rosetti to investigate these two miracles. The Archdiocese of Boston employs phsycologist/investigator Anne Fitzgerald,an ex-nun,to find out the truth and unexpectedly, also employ her past associate Justin O'Carroll. The worlds disasters are the work of the devil and evil occurances happen to those involved in the case and those threatening the safety of these virgin mothers who, living in the 20th century, face derision and abuse from their townspeople. The Church believes that one mother is carrying the Son of Satan and that he must be killed at birth. Who is the virgin mother? There is a twist to this pacy and intriguing story the ending of which leaves you dangling mid-air. I started as a non-believer now I have been converted and can't wait for the sequel

5.0 out of 5 stars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 30 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Cradle and All (Hardcover)
Whatever 'it' is, James Patterson has it. You are unable to stop reading, it's like a force keeping your eyes glued to the pages. The plot is marvellous, it is so riveting it is hard to believe. this novel could come under the title science fiction, being what it is about, the birth of teh new messiah, were it not so realistic. This was my first Patterson, and it is a good one to start with. Patterson has mastered it. the pages litterally fly past, on a roller-coaster journey through religion right to the end. What helps is the fat that his chapters are so short (2-3pages), and you think 'It's only 2 pages more, i may as well read another chapter. It won't take long.' And so it goes on, causing you to be reading hours later than you had planned for your journey to the land of nod! A thrilling read. I would reccomend this to every single human being on the planet. (Will there be a sequel? Because there certainly could be.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Reader from Cheshire, England, 15 Feb 2004
This review is from: Cradle and All (Paperback)
Cradle and All was the first Patterson Novel I have read. I could not put this book down, and was gripped from start to finish. There is a great twist at the end of the book and can't understand why anybody would give this book a poor review. I have read several other novels by Patterson since reading Cradle and All, and I am now a huge fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy., 16 April 2000
This review is from: Cradle and All (Paperback)
Seeing a new Patterson novel on the shelves always brings a smile, and a great anticipation to the journey you are about to take when reading it. Cradle and All, his latest, did not in any way disapoint, and while you know pretty much what is going to happen the book will keep you awake until finished and even manages to throw in a spanner or two along the way. Not of the Alex Cross variety, but a great book that looks into the rebirth of two Virgin Mothers one that carries the anti-Christ and another the Saviour.
Great book and as with all the James Patterson books a great buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Book I've Ever Read, 2 Sep 2006
This review is from: Cradle and All (Paperback)
I could not believe how appalling this book was. It was so badly written it could almost have been penned by a ten-year-old. It wasn't just that the plot was cliched or that the pacing was slow as molasses. The book was boringly repetitive - I got tired of chapters ending with the 'startling revelation' that 'something bad had happened there'. I got tired of being told repeatedly that these girls were pregnant and virgins. That Justin was a priest...and so on. If we were told these things once, we were told them a dozen times and always as though it was amazing. The 'twists' in the plot were laughable. Chapter after chapter added nothing to the plot or character development. In fact, I ended up skimming without ever losing the thread of the story - a sure sign that the text was superfluous. You could have chopped out two thirds of the text in this book and not confused the reader at all. Much of it was completely unnecessary. The prose was turgid and when anything did happen, it was delivered in the most amatuerish, plodding way, without any real sense of drama or tension.

It is difficult to believe that this was penned by a top-selling author. I've never been a big fan of Patterson and don't understand his huge appeal. But the other books I've read of his at least have taken up a couple of hours fairly pleasantly and have had none of the pacing, character, bad writing problems of this book.

There is absolutely nothing I can add to redeem this one. Even wasting a second on it is too long.

1.0 out of 5 stars A STINKER BY ANY OTHER NAME..., 22 Jan 2004
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a bad book with a fairly simple story line. There are two young girls, both pregnant and both claiming to be virgins. One, Kathleen, rich and privileged, lives in the United States. The other, Colleen, lives in a small country village in Ireland. According to a secret missive from Our Lady of Fatima, one virgin will give birth to Satan's child, the Anti-Christ, while the other will give birth to the child of God, a new Messiah.
Meanwhile, all over the world apocalyptic manifestations are sprouting up. Pestilence, drought, famine, and other evil portents seem to dominate the global landscape. Something strange is going on, and it appears as if the forces of good and evil are gathering about, girding themselves for one final battle.
Father Rosetti, an emissary from the Vatican, has been entrusted with a secret mission by the Pope relative to these two young virgins, and it is one that will sorely try his faith. Meanwhile, former nun turned private investigator, Anne Fitzgerald, has been retained by the Archdiocese of Boston to look into the phenomena of a possible immaculate conception with regards to these two young women who inhabit disparate worlds. Anne must not only confront the unknown in order to assist these two young women; she must also confront her own powerful emotions and a destiny she could not have imagined.
The book is riddled with ridiculous cliches from the horror genre and lacks any real tension. First released in 1980 under the title "Virgin", this book has been updated by the author to make it appear as if it were a more contemporary work. It has now resurfaced under the title "Cradle and All" in order to capitalize on the author's success with his Alex Cross series of thrillers. Unfortunately, it is not cut from the same bolt of cloth and lacks the quality of both writing and plot that earmarks his Alex Cross novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling and realistic, 27 May 2001
This review is from: Cradle and All (Paperback)
Upon first reading about the plot of this book, Icouldn't help but feel dissapointed that it wasn't a new Alex Cross novel. However as Ibegan to read it I discovered that it was every bit as gripping as one. Although the plot seems unbelieveable at first it didn't take me long to start wondering if this could really happen. Just a warning, if you pick up this book, you'll soon find yourself at the end without once puting it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - his best yet!, 14 April 2000
This review is from: Cradle and All (Paperback)
I was delighted when a saw a new James Patterson book on the shelf. I wanted something different and I got it. It was amazing from start to finish. I read it in 3 hours - it was unputdownable. The suspense really keeps you turning the pages. You think you know the answer, yet you're not too sure, so you keep reading. I was disappointed that I actually finished it, I wanted to keep reading! Can't wait for the next one!

Cradle and All
Cradle and All by James Patterson (Paperback - 18 Jan 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01