5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and gripping follow-up from last year's big discovery
What a read!
Last year's 'Backpack' - Barr's debut novel - was a treat and a real discovery, so I eagerly awaited this, her second novel.
'Baggage' is the story of what happens when you decide that life is simply too much, and you need to get out - in this case faking your own death.
'Baggage' is gripping from beginning to end, and wittier still than...
Published on 12 Mar. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars lost two stars for ending
I enjoyed every page of this book and was completely engrossed. I loved the fact that the characters were not cliched or predictable and the that you could expect them to behave in many different ways like a real human being.
Published on 9 Nov. 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and gripping follow-up from last year's big discovery, 12 Mar. 2002
What a read!
'Baggage' is gripping from beginning to end, and wittier still than Backpack. Having travelled to the Australian Outback (where much of the novel is set) - I can vouch for the authenticity of the descriptions, many of which (especially of the outlandish characters) had me in stiches.
Barr again draws on what she knows through experience as a journalist and more specifically a travel writer.
I thoroughly recommend this. Ideal to take on holiday and again, a real page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good for words..., 29 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Baggage (Paperback)
but I'll say a few anyway.

This book is gripping from start to finish and oh-so-credible, although this kind of things doesn't happen to all of us, of course! It's more of a sense that your life can be going perfectly well one day and then be thrown into chaos by a chance event.

I loved this and passed it onto my mum, who also couldn't out it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and compelling, 15 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Baggage (Paperback)
Unlike the last reviewer, I hated the cover but picked the book up anyway because I enjoyed Backpack by the same author. It was a gripping read and occupied a train journey brilliantly. One of those books that you try to read slowly because you don't want it to end. The characters were sympathetically drawn, and the central premise was compelling. I think we've all wondered what would happen if we left our life behind and started afresh. It was a great read and I'd recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baggage - emily barr, 10 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Baggage (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, very down to earth and you can put yourself in the parts of all the characters as the author describes/writes about them very well. The plot wasn't what I expected but the way the story unfolds keeps you gripped wanting to find out what happens. Open ended finale but it makes you realise it doesn't matter what the end is, it is the journey you have gone on with the characters (still, would have like to know what happened). I don't think I would have enjoyed it so much if I hadn't been to the Aussie outback though. A good holiday read ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars lost two stars for ending, 9 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Baggage (Paperback)
The only problem was the open ending. I don't expect a book to wrap everything up neatly but this was so unecessary. There was a very specific question that the book posed throughout- what would happen to Daisy/Lina when she was discovered?
How can you write a whole book about one theme and then not give the information that the reader is waiting for?
It may not be true but it just looked like the writer didn't know what to do next and I wished I hadn't been so involved because it was a waste of time really.

4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing premise for a novel, 21 April 2003
This review is from: Baggage (Paperback)
I happened upon this book by accident and found it ideal meat for entirely engrossing oneself in a good story on wet afternoons. The writing is intelligent and yet easy, without being contrived or relentlessly ramming metaphors into the reader's face. However, the promising style with which the book opened, did metamorphose, as it progressed, more towards the realms of 'chicklit' than I felt necessary, for instance with the attitudes and behaviour of the main male protagonist. A really intriguing premise for a novel, only spoilt by the slightly hurried ending, which gave the impression that the writer had suddenly wished to 'wrap things up' in the next half dozen pages. However, I felt involved with the main female character throughout, enjoyed the book a great deal and will certainly read other work by this author in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Baggage (Kindle Edition)
Having read a few of Emily Barr's other novels I looked forward to reading this one but what a disappointment. The characters were unlikeable and unrealistic. I really didn't like the so called heroine Daisy/Lina. I had no sympathy for her whatever, she broke the law, and she wasn't nice enough for us to support. As for the journalist, he was just an awful character, very cold with no respect for anyone. I finished the book hoping for a better ending but didn't get it, and I couldn't believe what the policeman had done, won't say what so as not to spoil it for anyone who wants to read this. As other reviewers have said, the author got so far and didn't know how to finish the story, so we didn't get a nicely tied up ending but then as the rest of the book was obviously on Lina's side, I don't think I would have liked it anyway. The story is very similar to some of her other books, running away, dealing in drugs etc. I won't be reading anymore, I wish I hadn't wasted money buying this one. Just one big disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Holiday Read, 20 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Baggage (Paperback)
As someone who has backpacked in Australia herself a few years back (OK, 10 years ago) I was looking forward to reading this book. I am very glad I did. The characters have faults and are not perfect, for anyone fed up with the perfect chick lit heroine then this is refreshing. The story is told from two perspectives, firstly, that of a woman in Australia and secondly, from a London journalist called Larry. When Larry's girlfriend, Sophie, goes to Australia for a few months and bumps into the woman she believes to be her dead school friend, Daisy, she tells Larry, who suggests they return to look for her properly, but has his own career agenda. The story is well written and keeps you hooked, but there are two minor niggles. At the end of the book I didn't like what happened to Larry's character. I don't want to give anything away, but something about him changed, shall we say, and I didn't see why this had to happen. Secondly, we never heard what happened to Daisy and her family at the end of the book, it was too open. Again, I don't want to give anything away as I would recommend this book, but there could have been more of a hint as too how it all finishes. I would like to add that I don't think you need to have visited the Australian Outback to enjoy this book, which is a bit of a thriller; it just helps in your visualisation of the setting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Baggage (Kindle Edition)
Emily Barr has written far better books. Dull story that never really gets going. Doesn't have the fast pace of her other books such as stranded.

2.0 out of 5 stars Review, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Baggage (Kindle Edition)
Not her best book. I found the story a bit boring and predictable. I would not recommend this story. Kindle version also had a lot of typos which was annoying

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Baggage
Baggage by Emily Barr (Paperback - 2 Sept. 2002)