Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 August 2003
Another splendid book from Faye Kellerman. This latest story about the Decker family is written with an interesting change of style. For most of the storyline is written with Cynthia, Peter Decker's elder daughter, acting as the narrator.Indeed in this book Cynthia is the focal character. Still trying desperately to prove herself as a police officer worthy of the Decker surname, Cynthia continues to stretch as far as she can the rules and regulations of the LAPD. With a zeal that equals that of her father, a lieutenant detective in the same police force, she continues to work on the case in her off duty hours. The book ends on a happy note, with the case solved and Cynthia ecstatic over both her personal and her professional life.
Whilst a thoroughly good read, this latest 'Decker' case has a less intricate than usual plot, with fewer twists and turns on the way. Also, the Prologue was slightly misleading, as it implies that Peter and Rina are embarking on an unsolved murder case of at least 70 years ago.In truth they do examine the nature of the death of Rina's maternal grandmother, but this part of the book is almost inconsequential.
Once again, Faye Kellerman continues to include glimpses into the life of an Orthodox Jewish family in modern America.This aspect of her writing interests me greatly and leads me to have some understanding of a faith and culture about which I was shamefully ignorant.
This book is definitely a high scorer and one wonders where the author will next take us in her next book, which I am already keen to read!
on 29 January 2004
I had kinda lost my way with Faye Kellerman. I think I was suffering from Kellerman-lag - I still haven't finished Murder Book by Jonathan, and allowed Stalker to pass me by completely. But I will be adding it to the list of things I want for my birthday in February because Street Dreams rocked!!
Cindy has finally become a REAL person, with hopes and dreams, thoughts and feelings - totally cool. Kobe sounded amazing (where was he when I was looking for a man?!) and Decker was himself whilst also showing what a great father he can be.
The side story of Rina's grandmother was incredibly informative - in a way, reading Faye Kellerman is an incredible education about the Jews that goes way above and beyond what most people know. Yes, we know bits about the holocaust, but Kellerman makes the Jews as a people more real, and I salute her for that.
I need to go back and fill the gaps in my Faye Kellerman range - I have The Forgotten, but need to check out everything else from there. I am back in the fold and looking forward to catching up.
An excellent read that adds a new dimension to the Decker family, and a whole new heroine. Thanks Faye!
on 27 February 2004
When I bought this book I had quite high expectations. The beginning was very attention grabbing, seeing Cindy finding a baby abandoned in a dumpster and then carrying out her investigation from there. However, after that, I felt the book lacked drive, culminating in a very disappointing and rather bland ending.
That's not to say that there wasn't a fair amount of action dispersed throughout the book. There are some fairly exciting parts, but they are too few and over far too quickly.
Saying that, I felt that overall this was a decent read, but didn't find me unable to put the book down and turning the pages at 2:00 am. At that hour, I think I was having "Sweet" Dreams instead.
on 4 March 2009
Police Officer Cindy Decker (daughter of Pete) on a routine patrol finds a newborn baby abandoned in a dumpster. When the search for the baby's mother leads her to a mentally retarded young woman, she starts to think that something sinister may have happened. With the grudging support of her supervisors, she begins looking for a possible rapist who preys on these extremely vulnerable targets. The situation becomes more urgent when another retarded woman dies under suspicious circumstances. Cindy seeks advice and guidance from her father, who continues to deal with the conflicting urges to both help his daughter solve the crime and protect her from danger.
on 16 June 2008
Street Dreams is yet another thrilling page turner by Faye Kellerman.
When LAPD officer Cynthia Decker finds an abandoned infant in a downtown rubbish dump, the hunt is on for clues, through the murky world of inner city Hollywood.

Cindy finds her love interest in an Ethiopian-Israeli male nurse, with lots of charm and mystique - Yaakov Kutiel the book focuses much on Cindy and Yaakov's steamy romance) , and soon joins up with her father Lieutenant Peter Decker, in cracking open a maze of rape and murder, in many sleazy and dangerous corners.

It is a story of the vicious thugs that pray on the innocent.

A side story takes place as Rina, Peter Decker's beautiful Orthodox wife does some of her own detective work, also roping in `Loo' Decker, to find out about the murder of her grandmother in Munich, Germany, in 1928.

Hence the story is set against the backdrop of both the rise of the Nazi regime in Germany , in the 1930's and the war of Arafat and his PLO mass murderers to eliminate the Jewish state today - the preparation for another holocaust of Jews.

The backdrop of the criminal motivated murder on the streets of LA is shadowed by the murder of Jews in Israel today, and in Europe decades ago.
I have not read one of Faye Kellermans books for some time and this book made me glad that I had returned to them. I found the plot to be strong and the political and religious discussions supported it well. The fact that the main detective was Cindy Decker, rather than Peter, her father was an interesting change from normal. I found the storyline and the characters believable and the plot kept me moving. I was a little bit surprised by the ending but when Cindy explains her reasoning, I could see how it fit in with the rest of the story. The only reason I have given it 4 stars rather than 5 is that I found all the sex scenes a bit offputting. Otherwise an excellent read.
on 16 October 2003
One of the best books I have read in a long time. Faye Kellermann does it again. Once I started it I couldn't put it down.
on 14 August 2007
Good crime-thriller but with a needless/pointless sub-plot, and which overall just runs into the sand with a disappointingly weak ending.

No one will read this twice.
on 15 March 2004
Sweet Dreams is a good basic thriller, unfortunately the plot is undermined by Kellerman's strong political views. Whilst the pro-Israel slant initially adds depth (learning about different facets of Judaism is interesting) when the villian is revealed to be an arab the reader is left feeling duped into participating in a piece of propaganda that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Indeed Sweet Dreams is littered with so many negative portrayals of (non-Jewish) blacks and arabs that is more a nightmare really.