4.0 out of 5 stars Title says it all!
Published on 10 Sep 2004 by ~*~Michelle~*~

3.0 out of 5 stars Less than divine...
I was disappointed with this book. From the reviews, I expected a humorous, frolicking story. Instead, the book is predictable and, at best, mildly amusing. The character names are beyond belief. This is an OK book for times when you're stuck on a train or airplane. The Bridget Jones books are much better written and funnier.
Published on 17 Feb 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Title says it all!, 10 Sep 2004
This review is from: Simply Divine (Paperback)
A delightful chic flic! I'm not much a a reader because I don't get the time but this book was rarely closed! Filled with light wit and humour and some fantastic characters. The way Holden portrays the character Champagne is brilliant - I think everyone knows someone just like her! The ending has a real twist that I was never expecting. Holden certainly kept me smiling with this divine book! Definatly my fave story yet from Wendy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Less than divine..., 17 Feb 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wounderful, 15 Mar 2004
This review is from: Simply Divine (Paperback)
I absolutly loved this book, not bad to say I only read it coz I got it free with a mag! Since this book I have read every single one of Wendy Holden's, but without a doubt this is the best!
Brilliant story, with lots of highs and lows, you can really feel for the girl, and genuinly do pray to god that she gets her guy, and that bloody awfull Champain get her come upence!
I would definatly recommend this book to everybody out there, it's a great summertime read, easy, relaxing, and great for the beach!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic but hilarious!, 5 May 2004
This review is from: Simply Divine (Paperback)
This book's purpose is to entertain not to become a classic. But I really love and have read it so many times. It doesn't require you to think or analyse the plot, just read it. I couldn't say if Champagne is an ignorant, witty or simply idiot. But everytime she opened her mouth, it was hilarious. However, I think foreigners who are not familiar with British culture or gossip will have difficulty to follow the plot and get the jokes such as who is Tara Palmer Tompkinson? Read it and form your own opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars a dissapointing, predictable book with pedestrian characters, 27 Aug 1999
This review is from: Simply Divine (Paperback)
I bought this book with high hopes of an amusing read but found the characters were totally unbelievable and predictable. I still have 100 or so pages to go and have no incentive to continue

5.0 out of 5 stars A first class novel full of a thousand laughs!, 13 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Simply Divine (Hardcover)
Simply Divine is an absolutely wonderful book with characters full of personality. Jane, the main character, has a good job working at a beauty magazine, and lives with her rather dull politician boyfriend. Her best friend Tally, from college, is a waif-like, fragile girl who is struggling to keep her family's manor house intact, with no help from her new-age hippy mother and silent Red-Indian boyfriend. Jane is then forced to work with the world's most famous (and unbearable) It-Girl, Champagne Divine. Jane is to write a column about Champagne every fortnight, telling of her activities over the past weeks. Jane slowly begins to hate her life and everyone in it, until a wild, one night stand with the man who lives above her, lights a new fire within her. Many other funny, ironic and embarrassing scenarios occur throughout the book, all revolving around Champagne, and Jane's deep hatred for her. From drunken dinner parties, to movie sets and weddings, this book is definitely worth reading. If you enjoy hearing about celebrity lifestyles and gossip, this book's for you. If you enjoy the ironic and painful episodes life deals us, this book is for you. If you love romance and heartache, once again this book is for you. I give it two very enthusiastic thumbs up, and five crowns!! Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too much corn!, 27 July 2000
This review is from: Simply Divine (Paperback)
So many puns, so much corn, kind of predictable, but an easy summer holiday read. If you're lying around the pool and do not want anything that taxes your mind too much, this book is for you. Still, a little bit more depth and some realistic emotion would have done a lot for this book., without detracting from its comic potential.

4.0 out of 5 stars I read this book for a little light relief and laughed a lot, 17 Oct 2000
This review is from: Simply Divine (Paperback)
Ok, so having read some of the other reviews on this page, it is not the most original book in it's puns, but who cares? Read it in the spirit in which it's meant - light relief and you'll probably enjoy it. I finished reading the book last night after choosing it for a little light relief and fun after reading the psychology books I've read of late and it was great. I even read bits aloud to my father and he laughed too. I will certainly be reading more of Wendy Holden's novels as I like her style of writing and her humour tickles me most of the time. Some of the stereotypes were a little obvious and some bits of the plot could have been deepened and developed, but I am not expecting it to be a great classic (and I am sure that some of the classics could be improved on in some ways too!)Well done Wendy, keep on writing and I'll keep on reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 11 Feb 2008
E. Samara (Thessaloniki, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simply Divine (Paperback)
First, keep in mind one thing: chick lit is about one thing, and one thing only - escapism. This is not literature by any stretch of the imagination. This is meant to make you get mad at the over-privileged girl, identify with the down-trodden girl, be happy that she gets her man in the end - and hopefully laugh out loud a lot along the way.
So, with this working definition of chick lit in mind, this is really good. It's funny, it's fairly fast-paced, there are a couple of decent twists and turns, and the "evil" character is absolutely hilarious. Some people may find it predictable but, again, this is chick lit: it's not meant to keep you in wild suspense.
Read it like you watch your favorite soap operas!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of tedious wisecracking, but worth a read...., 13 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Simply Divine (Hardcover)
I laughed out loud many times when reading this book and you will too, I am sure. A very funny story following the trials and tribulations of Jane who works at a glitzy lifestyle magazine. It contains everything from Krug to Red Indians and the most ridiculous names ever conceived! My only criticism is that sometimes the wisecracking gets a little tedious, but still, it's very much worth a read. Take it on your next train or bus journey and annoy fellow passengers with your spasmodic laughter!

Simply Divine
Simply Divine by Wendy Holden (Paperback - 8 July 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01