4.0 out of 5 stars A WHIFF OF SOMETHING GREAT
I really enjoyed this book. All the character were well developed and i could relate to them all, even the cranky old lady. A thoroughly enjoyable read which i would recommend to any of my friends
Published on 17 Feb. 2000 by bradgirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Village life - nothing happens
Village life - non-acceptance of outsiders, non-acceotance of change, people being people, village gossip - nothing really new. I like the backbiting, nosey old lady character, but preferred her more acerbic sister. I did wonder about the policeman, Frank, and how he managed to accept his wife's behaviour with all his colleagues.

You could say nothing...
Published 8 days ago by angela

4.0 out of 5 stars A WHIFF OF SOMETHING GREAT, 17 Feb. 2000
bradgirl (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 11 Jun. 2013
A real page turner, could not put it down, very funny at times but tear jerking as well, typical Carole Matthews, great !

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whiff of Scandal, 22 Jun. 2010
This review is from: A Whiff of Scandal (Paperback)
Rose Stevens has left her London life behind her to settle in the quiet village of Great Brayford. She has bought a little cottage where she can live and run her Aromatherapy business from. Rose is looking for a fresh start away from her complicated past with her ex-lover Hugh. However, things don't quite go to plan due to the nosy neighbours jumping to the conclusion that she is offering far more than a back massage and essential oils. Plus she meets Dan, who she is instantly attracted to but he is already spoken for by one of the village's most beautiful and high maintenance residents.
A Whiff of Scandal is another great book from Carole Matthews. The writing is very witty and engaging, I loved all of the characters. Angelica and Anise are the two elderly sisters living opposite Rose, Anise is the driving force behind convincing the other villagers that Rose is actually a lady of the night. I warmed to Dan too, Rose's arrival in Great Brayford makes him realise that his long-term relationship has not been right for a long time. Rose ties all of the characters together and I enjoyed the fact that she had some flaws too. Rose is not proud of some of her past actions yet she appears to be heading towards making the same mistakes all over again.
I think that Carole Matthews really showed eccentric British village life. Rose has to prove who she really is so that the other villagers can't keep jumping to conclusions however comical the results. A Whiff of Scandal is a good, entertaining read that I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 12 May 2013
This review is from: A Whiff of Scandal (Paperback)
I've been a big carole matthews fan for years, and this has to be one of my favourites. It's funny, shocking and real sweet moments keep you hooked the hole way through

3.0 out of 5 stars Village life - nothing happens, 26 April 2015

You could say nothing happens, but then it is a book about an English village.

Having been 'the other woman', the heroine is a drip. The hero (?) has done the usual male thing of deciding to end his relationship when he has somewhere else to go rather than looking at his life and making the decision to end his relationship. I think this book epitomises why I choose not to live in a village, but prefer to live in a small town - it's slightly less claustrophobic!

It passed the time, but such was my enthusiasm for it, that it took twice as long to read as some of my other books! I didn't have that much patience with the characters, so kept getting up to make another cup of tea or coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whiff of scandal was perfect, 21 July 2013
So funny , just made me laugh , witty and perfect . Some of Carole's books are predictable , but not so this one

4.0 out of 5 stars A Whiff of Scandal, 12 April 2013
This review is from: A Whiff of Scandal (Paperback)
I have read nearly all of Carole Matthews books and I did not enjoy this one as much as some of her others.

Rose is an Aromatherapist and has moved to the quite village of Great Brayford. She has brought a little cottage and is running her business from there. She has moved her to get over a relationship that has recently ended. What she did not bargin for was nosey neighbours who think that she is up to no good with all the people coming and going from her house.

You also have Dan who is the local builder who is with body obsessed Gardina. Mr Patel from the local shop who knows everyones business, the postie, Mel who cleans for the Vicar. Good set of characters and a good story. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great one, 11 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: A Whiff of Scandal (Paperback)
Even better than her first book "Lets meet on platform 8". I think this was a great book, if you like Jill Mansell or Fiona Walker, you will love Carole Matthews. I was dying to know what happened all the way through and was surprised with a few things that did! If you like a book about love with humour then this is a great book to read! I am now going to buy all her other books!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Whiff of Scandal C Mathews, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Whiff of Scandal (Paperback)
Very, very funny stuff! If you want escapisim and a quick read then get this one. Meet Rose the aromatherapist as she moves to the country for some R&R after her disasterous relationship. But all is not what it seems in the quiet village of Great Brayford. Theres handsome Dan and his strange relationship with the body obsessed Gardinia, Mr Patel,the gossiping postie, Basil the pompous village idiot not to mention the Lavender Hill Mob, Angelica & Anise who specialise in carefully crafted spying on their neighbours. As for Mel, the vicars cleaner, who knows what she gets up to with all that massage oil on a quiet afternoon? Well worth a read..try it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 30 July 2014
This review is from: A Whiff of Scandal (Paperback)
I really like Carole Matthews and find her books easy to read, interesting characters and it takes me away from all the horrors of modern day life which we are experiencing non-stop at the moment. I prefer her to Diane Chamberlain, of whom I have read a lot of her books, but recently have found some of them a bit depressing and hard going so I'm having a break from her - just my personal opinion. I've not found one of Carole Matthews books that I've not enjoyed and along with Erica James she is one of my favourites. I hope she keeps writing.

A Whiff of Scandal
A Whiff of Scandal by Carole Matthews (Paperback - 7 Jan. 1999)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available