on 22 June 2010
Rose Stevens has left her London life behind her to settle in the quiet village of Great Brayford. She has bought a little cottage where she can live and run her Aromatherapy business from. Rose is looking for a fresh start away from her complicated past with her ex-lover Hugh. However, things don't quite go to plan due to the nosy neighbours jumping to the conclusion that she is offering far more than a back massage and essential oils. Plus she meets Dan, who she is instantly attracted to but he is already spoken for by one of the village's most beautiful and high maintenance residents.
A Whiff of Scandal is another great book from Carole Matthews. The writing is very witty and engaging, I loved all of the characters. Angelica and Anise are the two elderly sisters living opposite Rose, Anise is the driving force behind convincing the other villagers that Rose is actually a lady of the night. I warmed to Dan too, Rose's arrival in Great Brayford makes him realise that his long-term relationship has not been right for a long time. Rose ties all of the characters together and I enjoyed the fact that she had some flaws too. Rose is not proud of some of her past actions yet she appears to be heading towards making the same mistakes all over again.
I think that Carole Matthews really showed eccentric British village life. Rose has to prove who she really is so that the other villagers can't keep jumping to conclusions however comical the results. A Whiff of Scandal is a good, entertaining read that I would recommend.
on 17 February 2000
I really enjoyed this book. All the character were well developed and i could relate to them all, even the cranky old lady. A thoroughly enjoyable read which i would recommend to any of my friends
on 11 June 2013
A real page turner, could not put it down, very funny at times but tear jerking as well, typical Carole Matthews, great !
on 12 April 2013
I have read nearly all of Carole Matthews books and I did not enjoy this one as much as some of her others.

Rose is an Aromatherapist and has moved to the quite village of Great Brayford. She has brought a little cottage and is running her business from there. She has moved her to get over a relationship that has recently ended. What she did not bargin for was nosey neighbours who think that she is up to no good with all the people coming and going from her house.

You also have Dan who is the local builder who is with body obsessed Gardina. Mr Patel from the local shop who knows everyones business, the postie, Mel who cleans for the Vicar. Good set of characters and a good story. Well worth a read.
on 21 July 2013
So funny , just made me laugh , witty and perfect . Some of Carole's books are predictable , but not so this one
on 11 December 2001
Even better than her first book "Lets meet on platform 8". I think this was a great book, if you like Jill Mansell or Fiona Walker, you will love Carole Matthews. I was dying to know what happened all the way through and was surprised with a few things that did! If you like a book about love with humour then this is a great book to read! I am now going to buy all her other books!
on 11 October 2011
Very, very funny stuff! If you want escapisim and a quick read then get this one. Meet Rose the aromatherapist as she moves to the country for some R&R after her disasterous relationship. But all is not what it seems in the quiet village of Great Brayford. Theres handsome Dan and his strange relationship with the body obsessed Gardinia, Mr Patel,the gossiping postie, Basil the pompous village idiot not to mention the Lavender Hill Mob, Angelica & Anise who specialise in carefully crafted spying on their neighbours. As for Mel, the vicars cleaner, who knows what she gets up to with all that massage oil on a quiet afternoon? Well worth a read..try it.
on 30 July 2014
I really like Carole Matthews and find her books easy to read, interesting characters and it takes me away from all the horrors of modern day life which we are experiencing non-stop at the moment. I prefer her to Diane Chamberlain, of whom I have read a lot of her books, but recently have found some of them a bit depressing and hard going so I'm having a break from her - just my personal opinion. I've not found one of Carole Matthews books that I've not enjoyed and along with Erica James she is one of my favourites. I hope she keeps writing.
on 2 December 2009
When aromatherapist Rose moved to the country for a quiet life to get over a broken heart, all she wanted was a peaceful life.
What she got was a neighbour who had binoculars trained on her windows,rumours that she was a "shady lady" and silent phone
calls.Not to mention a very sexy builder with a very jealous girl friend.This is a very funny book,with weird and quirky
characters.one of her best.Recommended for anyone who likes a good laugh.
on 12 May 2013
I've been a big carole matthews fan for years, and this has to be one of my favourites. It's funny, shocking and real sweet moments keep you hooked the hole way through