5.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Surprise

Published on 12 July 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Surprise, 28 Feb 2004
This review is from: Tick Tock (Mass Market Paperback)
I have only started reading Dean Koontz recently but have found him an excellent enjoyable author to read. When I started this book I thought it would be another supernatural adventure/chase story. I was right about that part but the screwball/romantic comedy element of the book took me totally by surprise. These 2 disparate elements were blended beautifully to produce a book that you could not put down but also one that I found myself laughing with also. I was disappointed that it had to end. Read this when you are feeling down - I guarantee it will cheer you up

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFULLY WACKY AND WILD..., 13 May 2008
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tick Tock (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is delightfully quirky and a quick read. Part screwball comedy and part horror story, it will make you laugh and it will make you want to keep the lights on. Filled with rapid, quick fire repartee and lots of non-stop action, I read it in one sitting, as I simply could not put it down, even though it was not at all what I expected.

Tommy Phan is a successful novelist of detective stories. Unfortunately, his Vietnamese mother doesn't see quite it that way. She feels that he is turning his back on his Vietnamese roots, as he has Americanized his name from Tuong to Tommy. He did not wish to become a doctor or work in the family business, as did the rest of his brothers. Tommy is living the American dream, which his mother simply will not accept.

One evening, shortly after returning home, his doorbell rings. When Tommy answers it, there is no one there. He does, however, find a homemade rag doll on his porch, which bewilders him, as he cannot imagine who would leave him such a thing. Taking the doll into his home, the doll's stitches start popping, and so the fun begins.

It is a little more fun than Tommy bargained for, and he flees his home with something evil in pursuit. Ultimately, he runs into Deliverance Payne, a beautiful seemingly intuitive blonde waitress, who gives him a hand in evading his demonic pursuer. She is certainly more than a sum of her parts and is not what she initially seems. Let the games begin! Tommy's life will simply never again be the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant Koontz novel, 25 Sep 2007
marky77 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ticktock (Paperback)
Yet another good book by Dean Koontz! I really enjoyed this it was fast paced and suspencefull and had great charactors that were very likeable! Quite scary in places but also a lot of funny bits. The two themes combine very well and the humour does not take away from the thriller parts and vice versa.

Definatly recomended to Koontz fans (if you havnt read any of his books before, this is a good place to start) especially if you enjoyed Life Expectancy which was quite similar to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure entertainment, 23 Jan 2004
This review is from: Ticktock (Paperback)
I have read many of Deans books now and haven't yet come across one I haven't enjoyed. But this one is my personal favourite. I think it was the first one I'd read and got me hooked. Many people might not think horror and humour are a good mix but the character of Deliverance Payne is one of the most entertaining and downright funny I have ever read. And the way she and Tommy interacted was pure joy. I am now working my way through his entire collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious with the mix of horror?..can it be?!!, 11 Feb 1999
This review is from: Ticktock (Paperback)
This book is by far the most intriguing i have ever read, which is quite a few!!, I felt many times as the book went on the need to laugh out loud...I was confused after all this is a horror novel?!!??
But rest assured i havent gone mad I was fortunate enough to be reading this, the most amazing of Koontz novels'. At times i was gripped in the usual Koontz brand horrors!!, but then the next minute i was laughing out loud soo hard i was on the verge of tears.
This is an example of true mastery in literature terms the style of the author remains yet a new genre of horror and humour have been combined.
Koontz was kind enough to explain this new and bold move in a note to the reader. The depression evoked by the writing of what Koontz describes as his 'most intensely scary yet', Intensity, was relieved by Koontz by writing this novel. And relief it must have brought i have used this book myself to read to help relieve me of stress so i would love to know how it must have felt to be writting it!!
All in all an amazing novel that should be read by everyone. A heartwarming tale of love and mysticism and even aliens thrown in for good measure....interesting and believe me, one of the funniest books you are ever likely to read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tick - Tock until dawn..., 26 Jun 2007
Vik "Calla" (Ohrid, Macedonia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticktock (Paperback)
I love this book because it doesn't take itself seriously. The story is over the top, and very comical. This book is meant to be taken light heartedly. I've read lots of reviews on this book , and most people write reviews like it is to be compared to Koontz's other books. If you are looking for a great fun read, Ticktock is what you are looking for.

Throughout Tick Tock, Koontz uses a variety of techniques that grip the reader's imagination, drawing the person deeper as they read more and more inside the novel. Metaphors, personification, run-ons, one word sentences, and explicitly descriptive paragraphs entice the reader to continue his or her journey until dawn...that is when time runs out for Tommy.

Ticktock, with its protagonist a Vietnamese-American named Tommy Phan who one day finds a mysterious doll on his doorstep. He soon discovers that the doll contains an evil creature, which is determined to kill him.

The true precision of Tick Tock can be experienced in only one-way: by reading it. I leave you to think about my favorite quote from Tick Tock: "Everything is more than it seems, but nothing is as mysterious as it appears to be."

Seriously recomended

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad ending, 12 July 2002
This review is from: Ticktock (Paperback)
This book starts off well and kept my attention throughout but the ending was dreadful. Koontz is a fantastic writer but when it comes to endings, they often seem over the top and disssapointing. The ending to this book is the worst yet and after enjoying it so much I felt completely let down. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed some of his other books such as Mr. Murder and the excellent Intensity and I would recommend those to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dean Koontz must have., 2 Jan 2001
This review is from: Tick Tock (Mass Market Paperback)
Tick Tock is a superb, fast flowing book with thrills on each page. Dean Koontz is a master of making the most bizarre situations real and very frightening. This book ranks in my favourites written by Dean along with Bad Place, Fear Nothing and his most recent False Memory. I am waiting patiently for the new title and I hope it is as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars high jinx and alien dogs make me laugh!, 17 Feb 2001
This review is from: Ticktock (Paperback)
I keep reading this for the simple reason that no matter how many times i do it still makes me cry with laughter,not really like any of his other novels, but read it if you want to lift yourself up from the daily grind of life, this book gives you wings and inflight entertainment.If it does'nt make you laugh you must have zero sense of humour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving Koontz's style!, 20 Feb 2007
This review is from: Ticktock (Hardcover)
Koontz really gets his teeth into this book, mixing some of his famous styles together and creating a new sub genre for his fans to enjoy.

The story is unlike any Koontz book I've read before, and although there were a few pages where I didn't understand why some deep desciptions were needed, the last quarter of the book had me gripped!

It isn't as 'dark' as some other Koontz stories, but this has a thought provoking storyline. I like it personally because it keeps with the same character, unlike some Koontz books were there are as many as 3 narratives/strong stories/major character plots in one book.

I'd recommend this to horror fans and Koontz fans especially, more so because of the unique blend of characters/themes and the thick plot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ticktock
Ticktock by Dean Koontz (Paperback - 9 Jan 1997)