Following on from the events of "Absolution by Murder", Sister Fidelma has journeyed to Rome, where she becomes embroiled in the events surrounding the murder of the candidate for the position of Archbishop of Canterbury. Once again Peter Tremayne effortless recreates a world at once alien to use, yet at times strangely familiar. If anything this novel is even better than Fidelma's debut story and it is interesting to see the developing relationship between Eadulf and Fidelma, from opposite sides of the Christian spectrum, and yet drawn towards a kindred spirit in each other. As with his other novels, the author manages to combine a superbly tense mystery, with historical accuracy, making the novels both entertaining and educational. Keep up the excellent storytelling, Mr Tremayne !!!
The author Peter Tremayne obviously has a great knowledge of Ireland in the 7th century and also on the Irish Law of the period. His Sister Fidelma book are attracting what can only be described as a cult following, but they are of interest to anyone who likes historical novels or mysteries. This series of books are set in Ireland in the 7th century, a time when there was total equality for women. The lead character is the beguiling Sister Fidelma. She is a brilliant scholar, a leading authority on Irish law and the sister of a king. This is also a period in history when celibacy was not yet a part of religious life.

The Irish, unlike the English have always shown a much greater respect and admiration for their womenfolk and this is why, even in an age when most countries treated women with little or no regard, other than for breeding an heir, that Sister Fidelma has risen to the position that she now holds. Although she is the sister of a king, this has little or no bearing on her ability to command respect.

The year is AD 64 and the Archbishop is found garrotted in his own rooms. A monk has been arrested running away from the scene of the crime, but Sister Fidelma is convinced that he is an innocent party. Fidelma joins with Brother Eadulf to find out the truth. But this is no simple crime, they find very little in the way of clues or evidence, but there seem to be a great deal of people who have a motive for committing the crime.
on 12 December 2012
the Irish get everywhere and in this novels we find Fidelma in Rome at another conference.

Here we find a murder, missing treasure and a person wrongly accused of murder.

Can Fidelma and Eadulf solve the crime? Off course they can! The twists and turns of the answer though are fascinating and complicated. Its a great book. I couldnt put it down.

You'd be mad to miss it. Apart from the fact that Peter Tremayne is a world class story teller he also throws light on the 7th century church, the church and the Irish churches outreach into the then known world.

Dont miss it. I coulnt put it down.
on 25 April 2012
I had read quite a few of Peter Tremayne's Fidelma stories and realised that I was becoming hooked and wanted to know how it all started, so I have been reading the earlier stories and this is one of them (Shroud for the Archbishop).
I find it interesting, apart from the rather esoteric details of Irish early history and law, how the early Christian religion relates and fits into historical context as I understand it. I have now reached "Suffer Little Children" which I am looking forward to reading soon.
I use Amazon.co.uk as a useful means of finding the titles in this series in the order in which I want to read them.
on 31 May 2016
Well written. I could almost smell the streets of Rome. Having visited Italy this book is very good value for money and very informative on past times.
Even though Henry V111 and Thomas Cromwell tried their very best to silence Romanish religion it has stayed with us and grown. I am not of the Catholic persuasion but do enjoy visiting their church in my area and reading their Sunday sermon leaflets. This kind of book does make for good felling and fellowship between different persuasions....Accolade to Tremayne
on 18 January 2016
A really boring book which several weeks on I haven't finished. I'm trying to struggle through it as it is my reading group choice; but why bother when there are thousands of good books out there! It's not for me but may suit others.
on 25 July 2013
Received in good condition well within the expected time. If you are a beginner with Sister Fidelma then try and start at the beginning of the series. It will pay and make your experience so much better.
on 12 June 2011
This book effortlessly takes you back to historical times, to Rome and the world of the church. I could certainly appreciate the life and times portrayed and the adventure itself seems so believable
on 27 October 2013
Like Paul Dohorty this writer is superb, his historical background is the attraction for myself and again I am now reading him on my tablet which I found really useful when on holiday
on 11 March 2014
If you like stories set in olden times, then Sister Fidelma really brings it to life. Peter Tremayne really can bring you back and you can almost visualise how things looked.