5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious
This book, although relatively old, was one that caught my eye sometime ago on a recommendations list by amazon. I put it in my wish list for Crimble and alas someone bought me it!
This is the first of Alliots i have read and it will not be the last! I am really impressed!
Published on 10 Jan 2004 by Claire, Lulu

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the beach
Bought this on the recommendation of Amazon readers last month to take on a Med Cruise with me. It took me a few days to get rid of my work stress so a light read was just what I needed.
Not bad all in all, but I was hardly hooked. Maybe the book was just too early 20's for me, but I found it predictable and immature ---- not Alliott's usual surprised and plot...
Published on 20 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 10 Jan 2004
Claire, Lulu "Lulu" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
It begins with the lead character Polly playing her games on the way to work and from then on you just cannot stop laughing, the story goes on to tell of her past present and "what SHE thinks is going to be" her future. The characters Alliot has invented are so loveable, even the "villains", such as her "boyfriend" Harry and her boss Nick. Polly is forever daydreaming about one thing or another and this is where her personality shows itself! The endless twists and turns she takes are what makes the story! A most memorable character who will leave you awake laughing until the early hours definately worth a read!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, ideal as a holiday book for the beach, 18 July 1999
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
The Old-girl network is a fast and funny read, ideal for the beach or lounging around the garden on a sunny day. It's light and undemanding, but that doesn't mean you have to switch off your brain. The plot is complicated enough to keep your interest, the heroine isn't so dim or the hero such a macho bore that you lose interest in whether they get together or not. In short, it's a modern, witty romance that - in parts - had me laughing out loud. I'd recommend it, and look forward to reading more of Catherine Alliott's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read ever, 11 April 2002
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
I first picked up the book in my local library in Perth Western Australia. I laughed from start to finish, as the story has an interesting plot it made for really excellent reading. I have since bought the book and all other titles of Catherines. I have also got many of my aussie friends interested too. Must read. Please write more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do we love them?, 13 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
The question I keep asking myself is this: How can I, a self-proclaimed feminist, be such a sucker for characters like Polly and Nick? In fact, what the heck am I doing reading "chick lit" in the first place? But Polly really is delightful - I think I like her because she's so clumsy and awkward - but when she needs to, can pull it all together. I understand that this is Ms Alliot's first book - it's a great effort, with a solid plot. There's good guys and bad guys (and some of the bad guys are silly bad guys, some are really stinky.) And then there's Nick - without giving it all away, he's a good guy and you have to love him. There's only one problem - I hesitate to read "Going too Far" (the continuation of the Polly saga). I'd like to envision a happy ever after life for her, but I have my doubts about her ability to keep it all together...but this book is a charmer, pick it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
Amazed that no one has ever reviewed this book. How has it slipped through the net? I read it many years ago and, as with all Alliott, loved it. Come on ladies, reward this fab writer with kind words please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 8 Feb 2013
CMP "Chrispy" (Northampton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
I had not come across Catherine Alliott before but will certainly buy some more of her books. I just loved this. Of course, Polly is beyond belief, the fibs....well!! However, as I rarely if ever laugh out loud at something in a book, this was a first, quite hilarious in places! I could hardly stop reading it. I loved Polly's flights of fantasy. Maybe the whole story line was unbelievable in retrospect but, suspend belief and enjoy! The ending was a real surprise too. I see there is a sequel 'Going too Far', it doesn't seem to get all good reviews in Amazon but I must get it and am hoping for another enjoyable read!!

4.0 out of 5 stars fantasticly funny laugh out loud best read ever, 1 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
the best book that I have read it made me laugh out loud I read going to far first not realising that it was a sequel so when I stumbled across the old girl network and stumbled across polly once again I was in reader heaven and then re-read going to far I love all catherine alliott books but the old girl network my favorite now very sad that I no longer have polly to make me chuckle so more books please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely captivating!!, 18 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
This was my first Catherine Alliott book, and I literally could not put it down!! I know everyone says that but it is so true!! Every chapter ended with you having to go on to find out what would happen next!! I loved Polly, and I loved Nick! The silly little situations she would find herself in because of her over active imagination were hysterical!! I loved Marian Keyes and when I finished with her books I was desperate for another good author, and I have found her! I recommend Going To Far as well, it is another 5 star book. I hope The Real Thing is just as good as the other two, and I somehow don't think I will be disappointed! Buy this book today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Catherine allotted, 20 Nov 2012
I always enjoy her books and this was as good as all the rest. Well written and a nice relaxed read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read...a must for every girl!, 19 Mar 2000
This review is from: The Old-Girl Network (Paperback)
A very funny read. I smiled all the way through it it was brilliant. A new wave of girl life stories Briget Jones, Any Fiona Walker book I just love them. Give me a rainy day and one of catherine elliotts books and im in paradise!

The Old-Girl Network
The Old-Girl Network by Catherine Alliott (Paperback - 27 Jan 1994)
Used & New from: £0.01