5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, 29 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Fish (Paperback)
I have to agree with the previous reviewer, just an excellent book, for both Fish lovers and would-be Fish lovers (which I am). The combination of good background information, intelligently and humourously written, on the Fish and how the buy and prepare them, along with original and tasty receipes, works excellently.
The book is well organised, easy to read and use. My knowlege of fish has increased dramatically and we are now actually looking forward to eating more fish (recommended healthy 3 meals per week?!) which seemed an impossibilty before this book...my man is a meat lover, but has really enjoyed the meals thus far, so we are making progress at long last..
One added benefit for us, being Brits living in France, is that finally I know which fish I am buying as the fish names in the book are shown in 5 languages...excellent idea, as the French can sometimes have 2 names for their fish, instead of the one name in English, which is not always easy as I have difficulty in recognising one fillet from another in the display.
Thanks for an excellent book, I would highly recommend it, particularly for anyone looking at eating more fish and trying to enjoy the experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The seafood bible?, 9 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Fish (Paperback)
To say this masterpiece is good would be the understatement of the century. For a fish lover like myself this book comes as a gift from the gods. It is fantastic, showing exactly what is what in the world of fish on your plate. William Black explains with great detail many of the fish available to the British fish connoisseur helping me pick and choose with his expert advice. Sophie Grigson transforms the job of cooking fish into an artform with ease. Congratulations to the two of you, a masterpiece to be proud of. EVERYONE BUY IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Any old Fish?, 21 Jun 2010
This review is from: Fish (Hardcover)
This is a very good book for fish lovers. It gives all the basic information and many delicious recipes, suggesting alternative species for the less common ones. I particularly like the fact that it includes a lot of recipes for local fish (I live on the south coast). I bought a second hand copy because it's out of print and that arrived in perfect condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Tasty!, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Fish (Hardcover)
Lovely book with many tasty recipes.
A few recipes are over-complicated,
but still inspiring .
Sophie Grigson one of my favourites

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and useful information, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Fish (Paperback)
Perhaps its size is a bit overwhelming, but the information inside is worth its weight in gold. Tells a lot that others don't mention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent variety of fish recipes, 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: Fish (Paperback)
I have a number of cookbooks but this one stands out... it's a really comprehensive and informative fish bible and has a great variety of recipes for each different type of fish. I had to buy my own copy having borrowed a friend's and soon realising I would not be returning it anytime soon (and probably with stains).

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 30 Dec 2009
This review is from: Fish (Paperback)
This book is the best book ever on fish. It does not require any fancy techniques, instructions are clear and the flavours are excellent. I had a Rick Stein book on fish, which I have to say, pales by comparison. A wonderful book for the novice and experienced cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate fish cookbook, 3 Dec 2009
This review is from: Fish (Hardcover)
I already own this book and bought one for a friend who is already a competent cook but likes trying 'new fish'. A must if you have a good fish shop nearby.

It is the most comprehsive fish cook book I have come across - seems to be out of print so I was lucky to find one on Amazon pre owned and in fab condition.

Bohemia

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 9 Sep 2003
This review is from: Fish (Paperback)
I have recently decided to start cooking fish, and knowing nothing about fish (where to get it, what to get, how to cook it) I decided to buy this book.
It is brilliant, the information on fish is extensive and informative showing extensive research and knowledge. The recipies are also great.
Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely useful, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Fish (Hardcover)
I like Sophie Grigson. I love this book. The sleeve is falling to bits, I have used it so much. It is a great stand-by any time I am cooking fish and is particularly useful because each recipe has a note setting out all of the other types of fish which work well as an alternative (invaluable information).

Fish
Fish by William Black (Hardcover - 28 April 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01