VINE VOICEon 27 July 2002
This book has changed the way that I cook (as a food lover) for the following reasons;
1. The recipes are fast,and easy to follow - and most importantly they work. If you are making dinner 90% of these recipes can be done a few hours before, thus giving you time to socialise with your guests rather than being a slave to your kitchen, then simply finish them off before serving. This is why this book is so practical.
2.The standard of the end results are better than most restaurant food.The recipes take you to another level of cookery with interesting/radical combinations of ingredients and how beautiful the dishes taste/look on the plate.
3.As Raymond Blanc never trained under a rigid master chef, in my opinion, he was allowed to indulge his curiosity far more than his competitors, therefore creating dishes of real imagination, this in my opinion makes him stand above the rest of his competition.
4.There are many Vegetarian dishes in here and I admire Raymond for devoting time to this as it is sadly neglected by most other contemporary chefs.(roasted ceps with Jerusalem artichokes- WOW!)
5.There are suggestions for breakfasts (scrambled egg and pesto), tips on how to make the perfect poached eggs, sandwich suggestions, and of course mains, with superb deserts (grilled figs with raspberries and port-amazing!, and the one that all my friends adore - confit of plums in red wine and vanilla).
Hope you find this review helpful,and share my enthusiasm - you won't be disappointed..
VINE VOICEon 15 February 2009
I love good food and enjoy cooking so my shelves heave with cookery books. Even so, Blanc Vite is a firm favourite. A lovely writing style, recipes that are easy to follow, ingredients you can buy easily, gorgeous photos and the knowledge that on the whole these recipes do you good. What more could you want?

Other favourites I actually use: Prue Leith Cookery Bible, Bill's Food, 1080 Recipes, The Conran Cookbook, Rick Steins French Odyssey, Floyd on Italy and Just Like Mother Used to Make. All the others just sit there !!!!!
on 13 January 2006
I've bought a lot of cookbooks over the years, but the one I still love best is Blanc Vite which I've had as a treasured possession since about 2000. I'm no chef, so these fast and easy recipes are a delight. They also adhere fairly well to a low GI diet, even though he doesn't make a huge deal out of it. I'd recommend it to anyone considering that dietary approach or who just wants great quality food fast.
on 11 January 2001
This was a totally unexpected Christmas present from my daughter, who recently stayed at Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons. She knows how much I love to cook and try out new recipes. Raymond Blanc has it all in this book, originality and freshness, the ingredients speak for themselves. His knowledge of all health aspects is impressive and it is a wonderful guide for anyone with little time to spare and loves really really good food. Thankyou Monsieur Blanc
on 9 January 2012
This book provides me with a large range of alternative and good options as it is presented in such a way that is easy to understand. The writer explains why and how to produce excellent meals quickly and creatively using healthy ingredients. Raymond Blanc is a perfectionist this shows throughout this book with the way the dishes are presented and prepared.
on 11 June 2016
This and his Kitchen Secrets have become my favourites in a large cookery library, even though both contain meat recipes (I am vegetarian) and one - not this one - contains recipes with 3*s for difficulty - and which indeed I haven't dared try yet. I am writing this review since the other has so many and this is just as deserving of highest praise and thanks.

AS it says, Vite - Quick - and this is what I mostly want, but that doesn't imply boring or without exceptional good taste. These recipes are fun to follow, often unexpected, and even when offering something we all know - like how to mash potatoes, anyone not done that yet? - Blanc offers something extra and worth adding to your repertoire. I haven't tried his poached egg instructions, which look unnecessarily complicated - but if I did, I'm sure it would be worth the experiment.

Finished dishes are well photographed, though one put me off trying altogether as it shows bacon (p.168), but the recipe has no meat in it at all. I discovered this by accident since normally I'd not bother even reading what I took to be a meat recipe - I was boldly wondering if I could leave that out.

But we are dealing with ingredients and instructions - both enticing and excellent. What more could we want? Why, is it good for us, surely the point of eating, and there is clear nutritional advice by Dr. Jean Monro, which I think well worth studying too.
on 15 November 2006
Raymond deserves respect for taking an enlightened approach to both diet and vegetarian cookery. The introduction has a really interesting discussion of diet that probably contains more useful information than most diet books - e.g. why are french people thinner despite eating more fat? Answer: All the 'fat' nations consume a lot of sugar. Sounds like 'low-GI' before the term was popularised. The recipes are all simple with a real clarity of flavour.
on 21 December 2015
Whilst the quality of the book's content is good, I was sent a copy signed by Raymond Blanc but addressed to "Jill". I didn't expect it to be signed and didn't ask for this, but expected it to be a very good quality used book. The quality of the book wasn't as high as expected and it was very clearly well used. This was a shame as it was a gift for my mother - who isn't called Jill.
on 30 October 2015
It may just be the one recipe I have tried, but cooking butternut squash for eight minutes (five to blanch; three to fry) doesn't work. After another 45 minutes in the oven it was delicious. Hardly vite, though. I did email raymond but he hasn't answered.
on 19 August 2013
Great recipes, easy to follow and very quick to make. Healthy and colourful and very original. Highly recommended. A must