5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent "See Inside" title!
I love the "See Inside..." series, as do my little boys. I recently purchased this book and popped it secretly onto the bookshelf and when they spotted it they were so thrilled!

Published on 24 Jun 2010 by A. Milne

2.0 out of 5 stars How things work
This book was ok not what i expected. The book would be better for a older child around 9 my son is only 6.
Published on 6 April 2010 by M. Hammond

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent "See Inside" title!, 24 Jun 2010
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How Things Work (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside) (Hardcover)

As with all of the other books in this series, the many, many illustrations are colourful, fun and very informative. They instantly draw the child in and then, of course, they can lift all the flaps, (over 90 of them), to get further information. The contents of this book are: Simple machines; Movers & shakers; Getting going; Making music; Waterworks; Floating & flying; Everyday inventions; Up, down & around and Bits & Pieces. Just on the first page in "Simple machines" the child learns, (with very helpful illustrations), about wheels, cogs, pulleys and levers...to name but a few things. There's a good chance that this book may well teach parents a couple of things that they don't know, or have forgotten. You do all remember what a fulcrum is, don't you?!

Most of the information is very relevant to our everyday lives and will have children wanting to know more and more. The section on waterworks, for example, shows the basics of how toilets work, (amongst lots of other stuff). Our boys were instantly off to the toilet wanting to look inside the cistern and see it happening for real!

I would say that these books are great for children from 4 years upwards, (perhaps younger if your child is very into this sort of stuff), if parents are happy to sit down and read them together. The language used in the book means that confident readers from 6/7 years up should be able to manage this without too much bother, although of course the nature of the subject means that terms such as "hydraulic" crop up in there!

Overall I can't recommend this book highly enough for any child that is inquisitive about the machines and inventions around us. If you think that they might enjoy learning about how lightbulbs work, how planes fly or how toilets flush then this is definitely for them!!

5.0 out of 5 stars happy boy, 17 Jun 2011
my 5 yr old boy sleeps with this book !! He loves it so much he now reads it to me almost every day ,the flaps make it fun and it's just so comprehensive for young minds and I even learnt a thing or two or three. I recommend this book highly .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 1 April 2011
Adina Casas (Romania) - See all my reviews
My almost 4 year old is fascinated with this book and he doesn't even want me to read anything. He only occasionally asks questions about what he sees in the pictures, which are very cleverly done, with humour and imagination. All in all a fantastic product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever book, 20 July 2013
L Sykes (England) - See all my reviews
My 4 yr old loves this book. It has a good amount of detail - enough to spark further conversation but not too much to be overwhelming. It has proved very helpful when he has stumped me with a technical question. Also, the lift-the-flap element is always a winner in our house!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of snippets of info crammed in this book, 28 April 2013
My boys really love this book. Not only are there lots of flaps to lift but the content is very interesting. From cogs, levers and pulleys, car engines, musical instruments to zips, toilet cisterns, fire hydrants and helicopters, there is a lot to discuss. There is enough information given in the book to help explain each function...in fact I learnt a few things myself. The Usborne lift the flap books do go down well in our house generally though as they are so interactive.

5.0 out of 5 stars childrens book, 9 May 2011
love this book, my sons are kept interested in this fun and educational book with lots of bright illustrations. bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars How "How things work" works., 31 Oct 2010
In the age of computers it's nice to find a well designed book that can hold the attention of my 5 year old grandson - and generate even more questions for his poor parents to try and answer!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book., 18 Feb 2013
A. Dunlop - See all my reviews
It is a very good book. We have 6 years old son and it is a little too advanced for him. But will wait, books are very patient :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 17 Nov 2011
Bought this book for my 5 year old who is extremely interested in how things work. This book answers most of his questions in a very simple way. I read it to him since he is just starting to read, but I enjoy reading the book too. A very nice introduction to simple machines and everyday objects.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chat and explore, 8 Jan 2010
I bought this for my 6 year old son and it is really good to read and talk about. I have learnt a few things myself about how simple machines work.

ARRAY(0x9e31a6d8)

How Things Work (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
How Things Work (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside) by Conrad Mason (Hardcover - 25 Sep 2009)
Used & New from: 8.00